• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@[SB:

> Soul link=topic=49188.msg580596#msg580596 date=1259624946]
> @Kane:
>
> > But I love how everyone is working on so many projects like java and c++ its great to have so many options.
>
> /agreed.
>
> I never understood Java, but I think that a C++ version would be awesome.

Java is a really common language to be used nowadays.

@Pete!:

> @[SB:
>
> > Soul link=topic=49188.msg580596#msg580596 date=1259624946]
> > @Kane:
> >
> > > But I love how everyone is working on so many projects like java and c++ its great to have so many options.
> >
> > /agreed.
> >
> > I never understood Java, but I think that a C++ version would be awesome.
>
> Java is a really common language to be used nowadays.

So is C++.

@[SB:

> Soul link=topic=49188.msg580598#msg580598 date=1259625449]
> @Bob:
>
> > @[SB:
> >
> > > Soul link=topic=49188.msg580596#msg580596 date=1259624946]
> > > @Kane:
> > >
> > > > But I love how everyone is working on so many projects like java and c++ its great to have so many options.
> > >
> > > /agreed.
> > >
> > > I never understood Java, but I think that a C++ version would be awesome.
> >
> > Java is a really common language to be used nowadays.
>
> So is C++.

But I was explaining why it wasn't weird. xD

@Pete!:

> @[SB:
>
> > Soul link=topic=49188.msg580598#msg580598 date=1259625449]
> > @Bob:
> >
> > > @[SB:
> > >
> > > > Soul link=topic=49188.msg580596#msg580596 date=1259624946]
> > > > @Kane:
> > > >
> > > > > But I love how everyone is working on so many projects like java and c++ its great to have so many options.
> > > >
> > > > /agreed.
> > > >
> > > > I never understood Java, but I think that a C++ version would be awesome.
> > >
> > > Java is a really common language to be used nowadays.
> >
> > So is C++.
>
> But I was explaining why it wasn't weird. xD

When did anybody say it was weird?

Wicked Marsh I can't wait till it comes out! I might just learn some c++ and just delay working on the VB6 since I'm starting off recently. Better to wait usually will see though.

Keep up the good work and thanks for all the updates its great to read and learn more on it.

Marsh, heres the deal. Novalis died, Im lookin for a new engine, so heres what Im proposing.

I will help with graphics, gui/interface, a website possibly, pixelart if need be; all for this project and engine.

but, heres what I need in an engine. freedom. I dont work on a 32x32 grid. It just wont work for my graphics, so I need to know, is there freedom in the dimensions of the tiles/sprites? also, I need somme awesome particle effects to be in this. I also need a physics system to control jumping for a platformer game. lets see… umm, yeah, and cross platform (mac, linux, win) is also a mega plus. If I like how it will turn out, and you would like the help, then Ill be using an eclipse based engine once more.

I honestly think and only when Marsh is ready tomorrow? No I kid but I think best to release open source onto svn or bitbucket and start putting a team up and just get people to join. I know your worried about pricks taking it and its going to happen but…

Who has the biggest mmorpg 2d engine making blah site? You do... If you do a good start onto it and allow developers who know what their doing and setup some rules about comments clean code and such you could have the most kick ass engine out their.

Look at all these emulation projects all the time in java and c++ and C# and the list never ends. This could be Touch of Death Productions chance :P

The development of such an engine is not that easy.
My plan is the following:
Create the basics, gameplay, storage (mysql) and such things
write an protocoll
transfere it into a binary protocoll
rewrite some functions of the engine for performance or better maintaining
add freedom or graphical additions

Well I'm using 32x32 patterns for moving right now
afterwards i'll try to find a solution for free moving…
this will take much longer because you need a good system for blocking
Physics aren't that hard to implement i think
because it's mainly for jumping & falling
For a War Game like hippo is doing, it would be great if you have something like wind and if you throw greenades or something, that wind would affect it.
But that's another thing ...
I think marsh will do a very good job, and if it will be open source, it would be easy to implement new things, if he doesn't code like spaghetti =D (which i don't think will happen)

yeah, I suppose Im asking more for a blocking system than a larger grid. seamless one image maps with blocking would be amazing. these are all just things that "novalis" had but then novalis died, so im just looking for the same. I think I should have Marsh and Crank talk thoroughly about how to make this engine as best as it could be, cuz Crank might have some good ideas/opinions and such… dunno

… I hate when people say "maplestory" whenever they think side scroller MMO. but yes, im making a platformer and it would benefit me greatly, and im sure it would really benefit all if its pixel-based movement and not grid based movement. the only problem is that the blocking system gets more complicated with more freedom in the movement.

@Chief:

> Marsh, heres the deal. Novalis died, Im lookin for a new engine, so heres what Im proposing.
>
> I will help with graphics, gui/interface, a website possibly, pixelart if need be; all for this project and engine.
>
> but, heres what I need in an engine. freedom. I dont work on a 32x32 grid. It just wont work for my graphics, so I need to know, is there freedom in the dimensions of the tiles/sprites? also,

Sprites can be any size without any code changes. It is based off the size of the sheet. You can currently have any sized sprites. Any size tile could be loaded in theory though i have it only loading 20 tiles or so. You are asking way to early though chief, the basics of the engine are still in the works. I am not going to start putting in features for people. If you want to help with graphics i would appreciate the help. But i doubt this engine will fit all your needs. I am building the basics right now it takes alot to make a fully working engine.

I am not refusing your offer i am just saying it all takes time to make. Also i am just learning C++ so i cannot make any promises of what i may or may not accomplish. You can join me on a beta of eclipse++ to see the dynamic sprite sizes if you wish one day, or check out the progress.

[Edit]

Also of course its pixel based movement. It is definitely not restricted to tiles. The movie should have already shown that. It currently has 8 directional movement by Pixel.

I understand youre still learning, I guess I was jsut being excited and impatient, cuz my plan A died… Umm, I suppose I'll help out, and if I like where its going, ill stick with it till its ready for a release, if not, Ill finish whatever small job i was workin on, and drop out, but ill give you fair warning. Im just desperate at this point for a great C++ engine... the only good thing about this is that im only 17, and so ive got plenty of time to learn C++ myself in order to make my own engines and stuff, so I may settle for Eclipse++ for now. Let me know how I can help out now then.