Marsh

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sigait:

> I like 2 things about this project:
>
> 1 - it needs no portforwarding (I can't portforward as my router isn't even listed)
> 2 - the language it uses is C++ and thats great if you'd ask me.
>
> It's actually too soon to talk about epicness,I guess we all should just hope for this to be good and without bugs and also wish to Marsh good luck.
>
> Sigait.

What alternative way are you looking for to allow people to connect to your server without being connected to your forwarded port?

@Zetta:

> IMO: TCP > UDP just because UDP has a maximum of 64 bytes per message. Only problem with that is an integer is 4 bytes and a String is 2 bytes per character.

And UDP is out of order and unreliable anyway, so it usually delivers you some additional tasks before you can actually use it properly.

Regards,
  Godlord.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all. I'm a new member of this forum. I've known about this engine for ages now but it was never quite what I was looking for (an isometric 2D C++ game engine). Was amazed when I found this thread though. Really hope you continue with this project Marsh, although you've repeated many times you don't find much time for it nowdays.

Will you be releasing the source code unofficially any time soon? It would be the best start I could ever find in learning C++ networking, server stuff and the whole Tile/Player Sprite/Movement part of the engine. I'm completely new to game programming and have only done a year of VB so it would help me no end to see how the basics works.

Good luck with it!  :cheesy: Alex.

I would release the source, but i want it to be something semi special. If i released it im sure a ton of c++ engines would popup in the months to come and then everyone would have one. I know its pretty selfish but i put alot of work into it. If i ever decide to stop working on it ill dump the current source.

Hmm yea that sucks. All I want to learn is how to make a simple 4x4 isometric grid (to start with) which players can move around in, and create a working server. I don't want to steal your code and make it much better (as if that could happen anyway  :P) and release my own engine. Could you just point me in the right direction or throw me a few scraps of code that might work with a few weeks of work lol. Just a small start and I'm sure I'll pick up the programming like I did with VB.

P.S Na I don't think it's selfish seeing as you put alot of your limited free time into it. If I can't get any leads on making the most basic of games (can't even call it a game really) then I guess I'll have no choice but to wait (assuming you'll eventually release the source).

Sorry for the semi-off-topicness:

@Xodus:

> Hmm yea that sucks. All I want to learn is how to make a simple 4x4 isometric grid (to start with) which players can move around in, and create a working server. I don't want to steal your code and make it much better (as if that could happen anyway  :P) and release my own engine. Could you just point me in the right direction or throw me a few scraps of code that might work with a few weeks of work lol. Just a small start and I'm sure I'll pick up the programming like I did with VB.
>
> P.S Na I don't think it's selfish seeing as you put alot of your limited free time into it. If I can't get any leads on making the most basic of games (can't even call it a game really) then I guess I'll have no choice but to wait (assuming you'll eventually release the source).

Study the VB6 source of the Eclipse Engine.. Then, if you correctly learn the C++ syntax, it's a case of translating and optimising.

Lol yea me too. I'm kind of diverting the topic. Pete that's a good idea but like I said before I don't want to translate and optimise it. I just want to be able to create my own engine specifically designed for the game I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to steal Marsh's limelight (wherever his aims are at). My engine would be private. Anyway he's given me some direction so I'm off to learn. Thanks.  :azn:

Nothing special, just got a bit of the GUI system in place. So you can actually create proper accounts login etc instead of just appearing ingame ;). Numbers are just for programming will be gone. Motd will be centred etc most likely. Will have button over effects when i get around to setting it up. Working on the more important stuff right now. GUI by BlodyAvenger. Font will be changed and text color to match up better :P, just needed something in place to get the networking aspect done.

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/create.png)
![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/main.png)

yea a few things dont make sense about not just Eclipse but the whole mirage based system. One that im going to change in c++ is why are maps downloaded from the server? why not just from FTP or released with the client? stop a ton of strain on the host computer.