Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Origins v2 Beta

Robin

@[SB:

> Damian666 link=topic=57637.msg641253#msg641253 date=1274825657]
> hehehe< not to be a arse or something…
>
> what about a quest system for EO? :p
>
> no but seriously, I do get where ya coming from, and wtf, a 800% drop? no way...
>
> seriously? O.o
>
> Damian666

I've had a quest system planned for a long time. I just been concentrating on the base systems.

As for the speed, I posted some speed tests of sadscript vs. hardcode back when I first came back here. Calculations we on average 800% slower. Also, scripting relies on ancient .ini I/O which is stupidly slow.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah, i remember that thread now ya say it.

damn…

and yeah, ini is slower, im making a pokemone game, and stared with all ini database...

i took out much of that, sloooooooooooooooooow XD

ill keep a watch on this, and see where it gets too, for quests, its certainly better to have a adaptable system like scripting.

anyway, good luck with it man, your doing a hell of a good job :)

Damian666

@[SB:

> Damian666 link=topic=57637.msg641262#msg641262 date=1274826168]
> anyway, good luck with it man, your doing a hell of a good job :)
> Damian666

Thanks pal, I appreciate it. Good luck with the game.

@Robin:

> I've had a quest system planned for a long time. I just been concentrating on the base systems.
>
> As for the speed, I posted some speed tests of sadscript vs. hardcode back when I first came back here. Calculations we on average 800% slower. Also, scripting relies on ancient .ini I/O which is stupidly slow.

So you have one in the working. Thats pretty awesome. I guess I'll wait for that to come around instead of trying to figure out how to add one myself. In the mean time I'll just add my custom commands/emotes. ^_^

so,where and how I add a simple script like

If GetPlayerLevel(index) = 5 Then
Call SetPlayerPOINTS(Index, 1)
End If

I put after a end sub but  due error on compile
"only comments may appear after end sub,etc.."

I should put something like
Action
script
end action

?

thx  :renzo:

DshWinchester, You need to make a completely new sub, not to mention you will need to change the 5 to the correct term such as ADMIN_MAPPER, ADMIN_CREATOR, ADMIN_DEVELOPER. Also you will need to figure out how to send the packets to the server and back again. I'm working on getting something work myself. As of right now i only have one error left. I just can't figure it out.

@crzyone9584:

> DshWinchester, You need to make a completely new sub, not to mention you will need to change the 5 to the correct term such as ADMIN_MAPPER, ADMIN_CREATOR, ADMIN_DEVELOPER. Also you will need to figure out how to send the packets to the server and back again. I'm working on getting something work myself. As of right now I only have one error left. I just can't figure it out.

all this  :lipsrsealed:
I think I understand but impossible for me
–------
Good luck to find the error
thanks for the info  :icon_music:

hey, quick question, i been playin around with origins not makin anything serious yet, and im quite disturbed by the fact i cant figure out how to change the level cap, i checked all the text files i possibly could in both server and client folders, anyone know a specific spot to change for it?. any help is much thanked! delete my post if i shouldnt be askin stuff hea xD

@who:

> hey, quick question, I been playin around with origins not makin anything serious yet, and im quite disturbed by the fact I cant figure out how to change the level cap, I checked all the text files I possibly could in both server and client folders, anyone know a specific spot to change for it?. any help is much thanked! delete my post if I shouldnt be askin stuff hea xD

This engine is designed with programmers in mind.
You need to get a handle on source edits to do much of the work in this engine.
The XP system is used frequently during the game so having it in the source speeds up its use rather than looking for and reading into a file every check/change.

It has a general mirage battle system right now. Next version it will be worked on I guess. But as it is right now it's pretty useful for battles as it's on-par with Eclipse functionally (except for scripted spell custom combat), and it looks a lot better with the dual-layer animation options, and options for caster/target animations.

Robin:When an NPC attacks another NPC, the victim doesnt target the attacker. I checked and as far as i can tell, the last line off NpcAttackNpc should do this… but it doesnt. I am still looking but any help would be awesome.

I spent a couple hours messing around with the factions and got 5 working properly.
Everything worked with some proper ordering of the factions and 1 more If statement.
But even with the 1.0.3 core, NPCs didnt retaliate.

Right, I'll look into it. I went through and fixed these bugs:

> - Fixed problem with class sprite selection.
> - Fixed map editor problem with tile selection. (Thanks to Derrick)
> - Removed isIp procedure. Caused problems when using domains.
> - Fixed problem with ghost items being given to the player.

Beau, I couldn't replicate the bug you experienced with your map raping itself. I'll just have to wait till someone else experiences it and can give the lines of code which are erroring. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's do to with the packets messing up, but I can't really say.

Robin, I have a copy of the map in question, although I don't think there's really much to gather. It'd take a hell of a lot of time and knowledge of specific events to reconstruct what happened, but somehow about a dozen NPCs got assigned a number well above 1500.

Whenever we give map testing another go, we can try to recreate the issue. The steps, if I remember correctly, were as follows:

-Beau hosted the server.
-I was mapping in map 2, Beau in map 3.
-Beau changed his map size from default to 20x20 after laying some ground tiles.
-Beau experienced some odd changes, specifically the spawning of random NPCs and the changing of the ground tileset.
-Beau told me to warp to him. I did, and saw only a black screen.
-Beau left map 3 via the Switchover to map 1, then returned.
-Server asplode.

I tried recreating this issue by using the same tiles, filling the ground, then switching the map size, to no avail. The map resized perfectly each time. We did not experience any other error the remainder of our mapping session. We completed 15 or so test maps without issue.

I'd guess that it's a packet error, too, but which packet and how eludes me as well. It'd take a lot of picking through to solve that.

I've been using an early version of this source code for well over a year now, back when it was Wind's Nocturne. I've done thousands of map size changes without a problem. :\

It might be down to having two players messing around with the map editor at the same time. I'll go through the packets and see if I can sniff anything out.

@[PIE:

> ICT link=topic=57637.msg642406#msg642406 date=1275120077]
> Maybe its something like.. while they were both mapping, one of the other accidentally walked onto the others map.. and with 2 editors open, and such it ducked with each other.

As it's all client side, no.

@Rushεr:

> You said, you checked every text file in the Client and Server folder… Doesn't that leave the source as your only option to change it?

i had thought as much, i was hoping it wouldnt come to that tho hah, well thanks for tellin me the bad news, im off to learn more about it now. TO THE OTHER FORUMS!

Yeah, all the level stuff is hardcoded. I'll switch it to a .ini file or something later.

@Shadowwulfâ„¢:

> The XP system is used frequently during the game so having it in the source speeds up its use rather than looking for and reading into a file every check/change.

Stop thinking old Eclipse. You don't need to read it every check. Load it once when the server boots up and hold it in memory.

I realize I haven't been active lately, but it's easy for me to see that Robin has created a fantastic engine here. If I were to make a game in the future, Origins would be my first and only choice. I think it's safe to say that Robin is a fantastic asset for this community, and his British humor and sharp wit has made my visits here oh so enjoyable.

Fantastic work Robin, I hope to see more awesome updates soon!