Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MySql or .INI?

jcsnider

I am really thinking about trying again to add MySql into Eclipse. I want to see  Eclipse improve and I also want to take on the challenge.

So just a quick and general poll.
If MySql saving/loading was made for Eclipse would you use it?
Please post any thoughts and comments…

MySQL is by far one of the best ways to manage massive amounts of data that MMOs require. If you can get this to work with the engine and Sadscripting, it would make everything a bit easier to manage. However, Goddie's Main structure and ini set up is almost like an MySQL database in that everything is neat and organized. As long as it doesn't fuck anything up, I say go ahead and try.

- Adulese

I'm guessing this has probably been done before, but there's obviously no active project for it so yeah.. do it..

It'd be nice if you used some embeddable database library so the end user doesn't have to run some sql server somewhere. The best solution would be to have an option to run an embedded database (no setup required) or have it connect to a hosted database.

The only real type of database I have ever worked with has been MySql, so when you say a local database I think of like an Access Database…

I will work with the MySql first just because I am better with it, I do have extreme doubts on this but with the results from the poll so far I am going to give it my best shot.

Just a status report…

I have gotten an okay start on this today. I have almost finished with the saving and loading of the general account data such as
Login, Password, Email, and Verified....

Just a few more bugs I need to fix... Then I will move on to player data and then work on npcs, spells and such.

At this time my only concern is how much lag will this code generate... I will definately need to look into that but with a few more hours worth of work into this I think it may work quite well.

@Marsh:

> Mysql is a great way to store data, though alot of the newcomers to Eclipse wouldnt be able to figure it out.

I agree completely. I have added a option in Data.ini (Server Side) called INI, if 1 then use INIs and Dat files like normal, if 0 then use MySql which is default.
@Tyr:

> MySQL for sure, only I have no clue how to use it in vb6.0 … only in php :/

The hardest part for me that is, is just getting the correct DLLs and then getting the right connection string for that dll. After that it is really simple, just like php you make a query which I dim query as a string and then make query = your query, just like php
For example
```
query = "Insert into users (login,password,email) values ('" & (Trim$(Player(Index).Login)) & "','" & (Trim$(Player(Index).Password)) & "','" & (Trim$(Player(Index).Email)) & "')"
```
Then I just run the query by
cnmysql.execute (query)

Where cnmysql is my connection to the database.

The hard part is like I said is getting it set-up. After that everything is fine.

.Net with mysql is easier by a long shot then with vb6 you shouldn't have a problem with it, but if I get this vb6 version working correctly and you want me to give it a shot, i can in my free time.

Edit: I have gotten the whole general system working fine. This includes saving the Login, Password, and Email without problem.

I understand completely but for me I have Call of Duty MW2 on my xbox so when i get tired I play a game of Search and Destroy then come back :p

BTW, I should be in school today but I am out due to weather so I will get ALOT done today at this rate so maybe an early beta tonight or early tomarrow (at this rate)

Edit:
I have everything I originally planned set-up and working…
This includes player-data, shops, spells, classes, npcs, and banks all working with a mysql database. (Banks is saved with player-data)

I am going to continue and add in elements, emotions and stuff like that...

However, the big thing now is testing... I would like to get 2 or 3 different people to test this for themselfs...

Anyone up to testing?