• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why Games Are Not Entertaining Anymore?

andylee

New games that are fun because of gameplay:

Robot Unicorn Attack
Just Cause 2
(there is probably plenty others but these are recent games I've played)

Where nostaligia goggles come in usually, is back in those olden days they had much more graphical and technical limitations on game design, so they had to focus on general gameplay and fun. The last 10-15 years so much growth has come out in technology and especially graphics that so much is invested in those aspects that sometimes general gameplay isn't considered as important as it once was.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its because old games hold all the fun, new games are iether copies or trying to find new ideas and failing.

lets face it many people grew up with sonic the hedgehog, pacman, jumpman(original mario), space invaders, zelda, mario64, crash bandicoot 1 and Croc…

they are jsut hilarious to all age groups but nowadays games just revolve around shooting and driving, no classic kinda stuff like mario or sonic...

Part of that is because of the decline of platformers. Another thing I see is that there is so much "cross genre" now and old games actually defined those genres. Zelda is the adventure game, Final Fantasy is the rpg. So there's that to consider too.

The sad thing is Zelda became a mockery of itself, and personally I don't find Zelda games very fun, except for the second one. OoT is a 3d version of LttP, and both of them are the same linear-fetch quests (I think that flash game "Zelda and The magic Lamp" or whatever spoofed that pretty well).

Yes, I agree with you on that. I played that flash game it was moderately funny. I blame the game creators. They tried to "stick to what works" for so long that nothing's changed and a lot of their franchises have been clone after clone. Still I usually end up buying them for kicks. I suppose that's more loyalty than anything.

I don't really like Final Fantasy, especially the new ones since they are overtly movies with some menu-driven actions; atleast the old ones had enough limitations technically on them that you were more focused on the relatively bland but functional gameplay (it also limited the length of cutscenes because of that).

Final Fantasy is one of those games that I actually appreciate less now that I'm older. Many other older games I've come to understand more, especially after learning to program and such, but Final Fantasy is basically how Anna put it. It should really just be a book series, because grinding out levels in a repetitious manner is only distracting from the story, which is usually pretty great. I would say it should be a movie, but I wasn't really impressed with the two movies they had thus far. Needs more screen time, you know?

@Mr.:

> Old-school games are better. I wasn't really that into games until lately and I find playing my stepfathers Commodore more fun than the PS3 or Wii.

Angry Videogame Nerd? There were and are just as many shitty games for the old systems as there are currently for the newer ones. My point is that old games aren't better than newer ones and vice versa. It's all about the hype (e.g. The Beatles vs. current day garbage).

Well, except a lot of potentially good games nowadays are lost in the usual business crap. Also another thing is games do not seem to have as much QA as they used to since developers are using the crutch of being able to distribute patches and DLC through outside services (so their first wave of paying customers can act as a beta testing group).

When games had more technical limitations it allowed more effort to do something fun instead of pretty. For example FarCry and Crysis and similar series; they are great technical marvels with what they render, but when you play the game, it's the same generic rail shooter, just with a prettier backdrop. Most games aren't any different from games 10-12 years ago. And when games do try do to things differently they either fail or are disliked for being a "gimmick" or are simply "casual" games (like fun simple flash games).

I completely agree with you Anna. I think every game has it's place and games should be rated on a multitude of aspects rather than just one or another. Personally I find many old games extremely difficult, some to the point I can't play them very long without getting pissed off(MegaMan), but it doesn't take away my love for old school games. Rather than wearing the nostalgia goggles, or assuming all old games are crap. Play or at least research each game before passing judgment. Except for et… really.

Games haven't been entertaining since around the 1990's. As soon as graphics overtook plot and structure, it all went downhill from then on. Not only has the entertainment factor all but gone from current games, the longevity has also.

I agree that some games focus on graphics rather than story but there are alot of games that focus on story now a days too.
Such as the Halo series, heavy rain, bioshock, mass effect, dragon age.
There will always be games that focus on graphics.
I mean old games are great but alot of old games didn't even have story lines
such as most atari games. Sonic didn't have a story but it was a great game because it's gameplay.

Ppl just have their specific tastes toward video games
I play for the story
I love fps games that have a deep story
(aka modfare 2)

@Ninja-Tech:

> I agree that some games focus on graphics rather than story but there are alot of games that focus on story now a days too.
> Such as the Halo series, heavy rain, bioshock, mass effect, dragon age.
> There will always be games that focus on graphics.
> I mean old games are great but alot of old games didn't even have story lines
> such as most atari games. Sonic didn't have a story but it was a great game because it's gameplay.
>
> Ppl just have their specific tastes toward video games
> I play for the story
> I love fps games that have a deep story
> (aka modfare 2)

Indeed. I've only played COD twice or so, but I really found it more addicting that eclipse?

• 2 weeks later...
I think the most time I've ever put in on a single game was probably on Morrowind back in the day. I played little else for (I kid you not) about three years. Between the expansions and mods, it took me that long to do everything.
I downloaded a LOT of mods.
I think there are still good games coming out, but it's so easy for them to get lost in the shuffle. Personally I think Mass Effect 2 is great, and I've been pulling a few 2 a.m. nights on it. But then, I have a weakness for good sci-fi.