Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Waterfall W.I.P.

zade_o

So the mapping contest this month inspired me to work on waterfalls for my game, this is an example of what I have so far. It's not quite finished, only like 75% I suppose. The effect at the bottom is how I envision it in game with particle effects and whatnot.

![](http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7528/waterfallexample.png)

Very nice, Ghost. The only thing I'd suggest is maybe add something where the water "splits". It wouldn't flow like that normally, unless there was a jutting rock or something. And maybe some ripples where it hits the water, besides the particles and such. But you did say it was 75% finished, so that last 25% will likely make it perfect. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

:)

yeah the rocks splitting the flow is part of what i have planned. and the ripples too lol. hit the nail on the head. I also wanna work on the highlights or sparkles, if you will, in the falling water to make it look more majestic like a waterfall should.

glad yall like it!

Overall all your tiles look great. It's nice to see some real talent here once in a while. I hope your gameplay lives up to the graphics, and that you potentially find a programmer to help make your project happen. My only real criticism is as others mentioned, the splits. But aside from that, everything is looking great.

The fact that there's too many splits? or that there's nothing there to split them right now?

@ Anna, I suppose you're right, I'm gonna start working on adding depth to it now. If yall feel there's just too many splits I may make a main waterfall and have this on the side of it or something.

It's basically just a difference between waterfalls to me though.

http://www.filetransit.com/images/screen/8eeeccce840c1630cac59a06ad2e72c7_3D_Waterfall_Screensaver.jpg
versus
http://www.naturfoto-cz.de/photos/sevcik/misol-ha-waterfall–misol-ha-waterfall.jpg

@Kreator, thanks man! I hope the gameplay does too, if I do everything I plan I'm sure it will and I'm sure it'll be a refreshing change to the typical mmo that many people in the game creation world will appreciate. for right now I'm trying to do all the coding myself, hopefully I can get a lot done like that if not all of it. The only part of the programming I'm not 100% sure about is the networking, idk if I'm making it optimized enough. If all else fails I'll just make a great RPG out of it lol.

EDIT-
@Kusy -- hmm... I guess that makes sense, I need to make it more powerful but still with some gaps. Cus I don't want just a huge block of water falling off a cliff, looks tacky and cliche.
One branches out more, one just has initial gaps.

I wish my tileset had a potential to be an eighth as good as that :(.  I really like it.  I actually think the splits are just more realistic, where I come from all the waterfalls look like that.

literal lol. yours don't have the same effect for you?

you have any critique for the update? I think i managed a better effect at the base of the waterfall this time. Still trying to figure out how to pull it off the side of the cliff better.

That's just my way of saying, I like your work. The edges of the water doesnt transition or work well with the cliff. The left side is way too straight, and the right side looks like you grabbed a brush tool in paint and brushed one color down the edge. You should try for an extra shade in the waterfall too, it looks a bit repetitive. The general feel and presentation is good though, I just think it needs a bit more work to share the same quality as the water itself.

Lol thanks mike.

Yeah the edge on the right side was my fail attempt at pulling it off the side of the cliff, I think I thought of a better way though, I'll try it out and post another example. And the straight left edge is why I never wanted to do a huge wall of water in the first place lol.

You think it needs another highlight or another dark shade?

EDIT–
just realized the left side is perfectly straight because I accidentally cut off the left edge of the waterfall lol

EDIT 2--
completely forgot my tiles can be translucent... so with the edited cliff base and waterfalls, what looks better? opaque or translucent?
![](http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4576/waterfallcomp.png)