Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Webhost pissing me off

Dark Crusade

Alright, I need to vent so I'll do it on trusty Eclipse.

I've been using [Crazy Domains](http://www.crazydomains.com.au/index.html) for a while now to host my websites and domains, but recently I've had endless problems with them. It all started off with realising that some of my original music tracks I hosted on my site were no longer working. I logged into my FTP to check them, and… every single fucking file is gone? I didn't panic, surely I didn't log in correctly or something. I refreshed a few times to no avail, and relogged. I then logged in to my user control panel and used my hosts file manager.

Everything was still gone. I evaluated the damage for the worst case scenario… My portfolio and uploaded music and graphics would have been no major loss, I have backups of them and I don't even use my portfolio anymore... but wait. My Elandor Chronicles Developer Wiki. It contained everything, lore, designs, formulas... in depth details on every single place in the project, organised flawlessly... I have no backups mostly because I never thought something this fucked up would happen. But seriously words can't describe how much work I've lost.

Regardless, I tried to take it as best I can, waiting on them to return an angry email. I decided to start up another forum I had planned recently, I set it up and what not. And then went to bed. And now my domain names automatically redirect to a page saying they are parked? I checked my user control panel, I have no domain names parked! I checked redirect settings and there was one blank field setting applied, which when I try to delete, nothing happens.

Stop fucking me around!

@NGHS:

> My friends had the similar problem when using Crazy Domains. Meh, thats bad luck Beau. Ring em up and abuse them (What I did with my last host).

host it yourself. Srsly, get an apache/tomcat server running. It takes like a few minutes. Sheevaplug server costs a total of $99\. Im hosting about 10 sites with mine. (using tomcat6)

@Kreator:

> Alright, I need to vent so I'll do it on trusty Eclipse.
>
> I've been using [Crazy Domains](http://www.crazydomains.com.au/index.html) for a while now to host my websites and domains, but recently I've had endless problems with them. It all started off with realising that some of my original music tracks I hosted on my site were no longer working. I logged into my FTP to check them, and… every single fucking file is gone? I didn't panic, surely I didn't log in correctly or something. I refreshed a few times to no avail, and relogged. I then logged in to my user control panel and used my hosts file manager.
>
> Everything was still gone. I evaluated the damage for the worst case scenario… My portfolio and uploaded music and graphics would have been no major loss, I have backups of them and I don't even use my portfolio anymore... but wait. My Elandor Chronicles Developer Wiki. It contained everything, lore, designs, formulas... in depth details on every single place in the project, organised flawlessly... I have no backups mostly because I never thought something this fucked up would happen. But seriously words can't describe how much work I've lost.
>
> Regardless, I tried to take it as best I can, waiting on them to return an angry email. I decided to start up another forum I had planned recently, I set it up and what not. And then went to bed. And now my domain names automatically redirect to a page saying they are parked? I checked my user control panel, I have no domain names parked! I checked redirect settings and there was one blank field setting applied, which when I try to delete, nothing happens.
>
> Stop fucking me around!

Strange, Ive had more than 20 domains and hosts with them over the past couple years and have never had any data-loss issues.

I HAVE had customer support issues… i.e, they have no customer support. Your domain can be down and no number to call, no answers. The 1-300 number is a joke, they are actually a subsidiary of another company that run an exchange over in Perth.

Regardless, the only reason I stick with them is because for what they offer they are relatively cheap and it is handy to have the firewall they have, it's pretty hard for people to hack your site. They also offer a relatively cheap HTTPS SSL certificate and Re-seller plans.

It's interesting to check the forums out and read the stories, had I read them before i signe up I never would have given them a cent. I've been looking for a good alternative for a while now, but in the end Zetta is right, learning how to set an Apache server up and doing it yourself is the best option, and the only way you can feel like you have some sort of control over your site.

@Kreator:

> OMFG They sent me an email saying they can recover my files through a 'manual backup' they apparently made for $85\. I swear this feels like a scam…

Read their TOS it probably has something about having to pay to gain access to the backups. Seen hosts do that one before, but i would agree, they delete your files, and ask you for $85

@Azkanan:

> This is why I'm trying to set up my own webhost… HM, I has a connection issue though, could you give me a hand on msn? :3

Your connection is to slow i think.

Yeh Beau, you got fucked over, sorry but its true.

@DrNova:

> How nice of them to just "happen" to have a backup made of your files.

No doubt.

I don't care if it's in their TOS. They provide a service which means they need to, I don't know, SERVE YOU! Does Crazy Domains think they have a monopoly on the industry? They sure act like it.

@Xavi:

> I don't care if it's in their TOS. They provide a service which means they need to, I don't know, SERVE YOU! Does Crazy Domains think they have a monopoly on the industry? They sure act like it.

Wrong.

If their TOS says you pay for backups, then you pay for backups.

That's some horrible service. I had encounter some bad host but not as bad as that.

I'm currently hosting on DreamHost and I'm loving it!
Btw, I thought wiki data are saved to MySQL Database?
You should check that and see if you can get the wiki.

Sincerely,
Rithy

Hey guys I finally got a reply from them.

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your email.
>
> If you have further queries please feel free to let us know.
>
> Thank you
>
> Joe
>
> Crazy Domains
> Customer Support
> E: [email protected]
> W: www.CrazyDomains.com.au

*tries to suppress large amounts of anger*

And I swear to you it's unedited, that's what I was sent, they didn't fucking answer any of my enquiries they just sent me that. WTF.