Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Public Apology.

Link

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make a guy like me an admin? I didn't think I was that bad. Oh lord, ahahaha I'll try to do better by your standards. You'd be a good guy if you weren't so arrogant, pompous and elitist. What separates me and you are people skills. I'm not selfish, greedy or cutthroat. The sad part is I think you actually believe people to be beneath you, if you look at your track record and considering I've worked on your projects which have all failed let me mind you, it's pathetic.

I've seen you sucker kids out of their money, halt development completely make excuses and attempt to get even more money to continue development. You went even further to try and do it here on these forums which I put a stop to right away, it's rather pathetic. I also heard about your plea to become the owner from Dan and multiple other staff you've been ranting to and let me just say it was borderline embarrassing.

No one would want you as the owner, this site would indefinitely lose any shred of hope it possibly has and if you dislike things so much I have no idea why you stick around. You haven't made the best impression and I was giving you credit on eclipse worlds until you tried selling it as your own not to mention it was never open source, you always have been that selfish.

So much hate here :(

Let's be sexy and cool!

Yup, on their first try, they screwed up, and it has gone to all of this.

One little suggestion [because I have my reasons to doubt that Now, Eclipse will go in the right direction, though I have patience]

If you guys want to make a living off of your product, then you need to convince people to put money into it, not only for you to have something to eat, but for the engine's sake and further development of it.

People will be glad to help, because basically they will help themselves. [they want to create something nice, first they need to give back something nice]

That means it has to have no limitations, no Gold n Silver, no Admin approval or things like that.

You can keep it Closed Source if you want, but a Scripting thingie would be greatly appreciated.

**A few ideas wich can work nice together:**

** Feature Goal Suggestion **

**Things needed**: **Poll** [people will vote and add their most wanted feature & tool they want to see in the engine, not game features like guild and housing but Engine features such as new tools or something like that]

People will have 1 week to vote and add the most needed features to the poll.

Admins will set 1 Month[or whatever] as the Time Limit and the Goal Amount.

Order: From less to the most expensive and complex feature/upgrade, people voted.

Like Kickstarter

**Goal: 10$** [1st Feature guaranteed]

10$ - 1st Feature

**Goal Stretch**

50$ - 2nd Feature/Upgrade or whatever doesn't have to be another feature, could be an upgrade to the 1st Feature.

100$ - etc.

**Scripts Shop**

Official Scripts made by Eclipse, you will have to be receptive to what people need.

That way they will buy the Scripts, even though some members might post their own Scripts for free, the difference is that they will have Official Support and of course they are helping the development.

**It's much better to have people willing to sustain the community than to force them to do so trough drastic limitations.**

My god do I miss Sad scripting, it was one of the saddest times of my life when it got removed.

I generally do not take sides in other peoples arguments, but the part of Aeirex being rather elitist is no secret, anyone can see that, from the way he writes, to his avatar and signature.

I've been spurred on by a couple of people to chime in on this.

Those of you who know me know my opinions. You know that I personally don't agree with a lot of the changes but I can see _some_ (positive) reasoning behind them.

I can see the motivation for having a big engine, 4.0, right up there on the front page. I can also see why making it closed-source has had a significant negative impact on the community. I can see why the administration changed so that a new owner could settle in with people he knows more.

Eclipse peaked, in my opinion anyway, during the development of 2.0\. We were encouraged to create our own code and many of you might still think Robin was a prick but in actuality he made those of us who wanted to work actually _do something._

There are three things you need to do to pretty much fix a lot of the issues:

* Be transparent. The administration knows full well that they've made questionable choices. Admit to them. I can appreciate apologising for lack of updates and lack of transparency but being man enough to admit your mistakes is a much better step.
* Listen to Richy. Not just in general (though that's an alright idea, sometimes) but in his post he pretty much summed up what you need to do. Focus on the development. Yes, Eclipse loves its fair share of drama and I can admit that so do I. That doesn't change the fact that there's no unifying tool for this site. Have one engine, have many, it doesn't really matter. If you have competent developer (and no JC, that's not a shot) working on an engine and they are transparent about it (posting regular updates) you will eventually motivate your members to create games. You can see the gap between the posts in the Eclipse Projects post - during 2.0's development you'd see a topic every other day. Monetisation may not be the way forward and you will probably have to accept that. Donations can go a long way but putting your code behind a pay wall and then not providing regular updates can really dishearten people.
* Encourage discussion. Encourage criticism. Encourage (productive) arguments. If someone disagrees with you, don't end their time on the site. Try to stay out of your little bubble of positive criticism and try to accept that not everything you do is perfect

Honestly, it doesn't matter who buys/doesn't buy Eclipse or who owns/doesn't own it. Changes need to be made regardless of the current owner and if whoever owns the site isn't ready to make these changes, then they shouldn't be running the site.

And that's my spiel done, stop bothering me. Gosh.

I believe Mad Hatter has the right idea when it comes to funding Eclipse.

I had heard a similar suggestion thrown around before, but it was more-so along the lines of Unity's asset store, which in that sense I could see it further dividing the community (If people were to make money off their scripts, why would anyone help or post anything for free?). But to have officially released scripts, I believe that would be much more efficient.

I really do like the idea of a scripting system. It makes quite a bit of sense to implement one. If this does happen I agree that a store would be a good idea. My suggestion is to implement a warning if you're buying a script that does the same thing or something similar to one you own. For example if someone owns X's Crafting System and is trying to buy Y's Crafting System a warning comes up to notify you that if you install both on one game errors will occur.

> I really do like the idea of a scripting system. It makes quite a bit of sense to implement one. If this does happen I agree that a store would be a good idea. My suggestion is to implement a warning if you're buying a script that does the same thing or something similar to one you own. For example if someone owns X's Crafting System and is trying to buy Y's Crafting System a warning comes up to notify you that if you install both on one game errors will occur.

not necessarily, if crafting system x makes a item type recipe and stuff, and crafting system y is like minecrafts its not gonna break your game.

Compiled or encrypted scripts would be the only way to circumnavigate theft. Duplication, also known as competition (two or more products being alike), is healthy.

Unity already has all of this.

Ps. I won't compete with Unity, but yall keep dropping ideas and ill turn something out eventually. ;)

The problem with a system like that is that it removes all incentive for people to provide help. It further divides the casual community from the hardcore community. No one here will deny, as the discussion earlier brought up, that some people on this site have a very… er... 'elitist' attitude. I can tell you for a fact I've had times where I've been bashed for being a novice at coding when I've asked for help. It's no secret that there are people around here who have the mentality of **"If you can't code get out."**

The problem lies with the fact that no one will want competition. If these people can train others to make their own scripts, or keep people dumb and dependent on their release of scripts, which do you think they'll take? Of course, honest people won't do this, but let's face it: human nature will drive people to further pad their wallets. **You can't count on everyone here being honest.**

In fact, isn't competition like this one reason the community is being further torn apart? Can't you look at the 3rd party engines and see all the hate, strife, and conflict stirred up because people can't handle competition? Because they want to be number one and others don't matter? You all know the flame wars that have started over just simple engines, let alone with money on the line it'd be a disaster.

And let's not forget the idea of someone not willing to pay for a script, replicating it very similarly, and then causing a huge ruckus over the 'stolen' script. It's a system begging for trolls, exploiters, and so much more.

But the main point is this: **Most people won't have any incentive to help others.** We want a community driven to help each other to success, but when people are blinded by the possible monatization of their work how can they be willing to help others? Why would the _average person_ want to help someone starting off when this average person already has it made. They don't need to help others, they're just there to make money off something that comes so easy to them. Where's the community bonding?

**Of course, as I said, this isn't everybody**. A lot of you guys here right now are honest and willing to help. However if we're to look at Eclipse growing back to the size it once was, things like this need to be taken accounted for. We can't blindly assume that people will be willing to help out of the goodness of their heart. Not everyone is a Nikola Tesla.

I remember back in the days of EE. we're talking as far as when I first basically started, 7 some odd years ago.

The eclipse I knew was the helpful bunch of people I knew, they spent time viewing peoples coding problem posts and trying to fix the bugs for people. Tutorials were even a thing back then, (I <3'd Baron's Skill Superscript).

This is the kind of Eclipse I'd like to see back…

(Edit: Nostalgic I know, but it never was a profession, all this was just a hobby to most.)

On terms of professionalism, and to be real about it; You've no choice but to compete with Unity, Construct 2, and whatever the hell else is out here today. Modern day languages require competing with modern day products. But the idea is simple, keep whatever engine you make; As user-friendly as possible, that's what will bring the boys to the yard.

I'd still like to know how this site gets traffic, is google the only means? Is there any other sites that allow dropping a eclipse link for advertising? Can the website have Affiliates? Just some things to help keep going. I dunno…

I sort of liked the idea of a scripting shop, but it is true that it would cause problems, to be honest there's no real reliable way for the developers to earn money for their work without making the community decay, donations are no way near enough, **I would donate if it felt like the money goes to the right place**, and that my economy would be able to handle that, I wouldn't need flashy groups or anything to show off, just some way to make it feel that if I would donate, the developers would actually be genuinely happy and thankful, but there's no interaction what so ever that even hints this.