Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Public Apology.

Link

I don't want to be a party pooper [again], but these could have been avoided, of course it's not your fault, Yuki.

Though, there are still problems with "virtual communism", meaning posts or status replies get deleted without warning or reason.

I might sound like I whine way too much, but how you guys are expecting to fix this community if inside you have people who destroy it more and more?!

Someone needs to be demoted.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to completely change your focus, even if Marsh buys it back it will not fix anything. Eclipse was never really that good. Robin is what made Eclipse somewhat decent for a short while, but Eclipse Origins is aging technology and what JC is coding is not much better. I only come for announcements. ;)

Always changing it up, ehh Seth? Lol at least we know you can't help it like the rest of us.

I guess I stumbled in as it was dying, and really, that's because not much happened, everyone pays programmers now and there aren't many tuts going up and that's sort of what made Eclipse, everyone helping each other and lending a hand for free, though there's always the more experienced people who know a lot and might as well sell their services, but, really, we just need to get the community to help itself like it used to and stop blaming everything on the admins, it isn't all their fault, we're partly to blame also.

> You need to completely change your focus, even if Marsh buys it back it will not fix anything. Eclipse was never really that good. Robin is what made Eclipse somewhat decent for a short while, but Eclipse Origins is aging technology and what JC is coding is not much better. I only come for announcements. ;)

I think it really depends on what you came to the site for. Eclipse never really being good is your opinion. It was amazing for a long time for me and my friends. If you want a professional engine and a community that isnt friends go get Unity or one of the other million engines out there.

People is what makes Eclipse good, since 2008 til now I've seen a lot of awesome people here, who made us a strong community.

It wasn't just 1 or 2 people wich made Eclipse worth, but all the members.

I remember the TinyChat thingie and Spork being drunk and funny, playing guitar and all that jazz.

I remember that we used to have a lot of tutorials, people helping eachother, and people who motivated others to become coders, artists, etc.

And one day, something happened, the new staff took away the soul of this community and locked it.

How so?

By making an official eclipse engine closed source and commerical. [Now it's too late to release it open source, because come on, VB6?]

Old staff was demoted and even banned

For those who are saying that they could've used EO3 anytime, no reason for EO4 to be Open Source.

That's just wrong, like, a kid asking his dad for food, and he gives the poor kid the leftovers[EO3] or giving him the food but in a glass box wich can't be opened[EO4]

Meaning that there was no more reasons for people to post tutorials, help eachothers, etc.

There was no more escape from the monotony.

To be honest, I don't know why you're apologizing Yukiro. You're not responsible for people leaving and the engine not making sufficient income. Furthermore, I think it shows that you care and I wish you luck in those regards. 

As far as people saying the site is dead. It's not dead. What's dead is vb6 - how many times has this been said? lol I mean has anyone else noticed how poor the fps is for 2D games on a full featured Eclipse? You cannot make a true "mmo" with a vb6 based server, because you max at about 100 people (if you're lucky). One would wonder then why google shows Eclipse as a 2d MMorpg maker. But that's beside the point. It COULD be. And I know of several people who are working on translating the language into one that is user friendly, and can handle the player load of an mmo.

In my opinion this site just needs another boost. Since the community is primarily focused on the engine which it promotes, a product upgrade would make sense. Most people seem to agree with this from reading other comments.

Too be honest, I haven't actually been around Eclipse, i'm familiar with Dragon Eclipse which was used in an old rendition of Dr. Yukiro's game Pokemon United Nations. Which was a bit interesting, too say the least. Besides the point…

I can see the community is struggling, deeply. With new ownership and maybe some different ways of doing things the website might get more popular again (Not saying that the way its run now is bad, just something somewhere down the line is messed up).

I do like what you got here though, now that I actually care enough to try to look around.

Thanks for the apology though Yukiro, even though it isn't your fault.

Cheers, Gawerty

I would primarily like to see an updated Eclipse that ran off of VB10 or something more supported of late. However, I would also like for it to be open sourced and simple enough that I could start to learn it again. Forgoing that I would like to see some updates to EO Gold.

> I think it really depends on what you came to the site for. Eclipse never really being good is your opinion. It was amazing for a long time for me and my friends. If you want a professional engine and a community that isnt friends go get Unity or one of the other million engines out there.

Unity is not that good for 2D games. I still prefer to code from scratch than to use it. It's bloated.

If you buy back the site, you gotta refund all the people who bought Gold. It's not gonna be that easy, man. It's a complicated situation, and Eclipse can never go back to just being for fun and a place for trolls to lounge. It's time for it to change into something better. You can't just kick Amish and JC out along with their engine.

To be honest, everyone who had bought EO4 Gold, bought it as is, there's no guarantee or contract under its license stating that buyers are promised updates. That's like buying Microsoft XP SP3 and since they dropped support, they bought XP as is.

The site has to go back to it's purpose, game development. VB6 has been the root of Eclipse for a long time and to be honest, it's been less and less appealing, this stands with or without debate. Games made by Eclipse being limited to just one platform, amongst other limitations, really doesn't help Eclipse evolve, the community served to support and have fun amongst each other, when the site decided to go professional, people did not want to tone down to that level. As if there's something wrong about being a friendly troll.

Sure people disliked the fact that a product made in VB6 was closed sourced and being sold. Surely as much as I'd dislike someone using my unreleased code, or as much as you'd dislike someone stealing your entire game. It's time spent and work, no matter what. Just think; Homies have to eat too?

I'm also wondering why this is an apology, you've done nothing wrong? The state of Eclipse just fell because of disinterest, less time, inactivity or otherwise.

Eclipse was more than just an engine… it was a community. There was something for everyone. Like me I used to do a little bit of programming, but then I fell into the chill side of eclipse. Off topic, and forum games were a nice distraction from coding, and were always bustling with new content. Now those areas are pretty much a ghost town. With the engine becoming stagnant those other areas died as well. Yeah there were ocassional trolls, but most of the posts and topics were friends coming up with crazy things and breathing life into the site.

> If you buy back the site, you gotta refund all the people who bought Gold. It's not gonna be that easy, man. It's a complicated situation, and ~~Eclipse can never go back to just being for fun and a place for trolls to lounge.~~

That's all a load of baloney. If you bought the site, you would NOT have to refund all the people who bought Gold… Heck even if you open-sourced EO4 Gold then you would STILL not have to give refunds.

> That's all a load of baloney. If you bought the site, you would NOT have to refund all the people who bought Gold… Heck even if you open-sourced EO4 Gold then you would STILL not have to give refunds.

Yeah I don't have to do a lot of stuff, but that's called halfassing *. Companies do this all the time, it is basically scamming people out of their money. If Marsh buys the site, he is responsible to deal with these transactions, he likely will just puge the member group and be done with it, but that's why Eclipse will never go anywhere. It will be the same shithole it has always been.

It's not a shitty community, there are just particular members that are shitty which portray it as shitty. I'll admit, I don't like the direction it has been going, but as mentioned all that's going to change. Everyone will be satisfied including previous gold members. Time will tell. Also, the reason I apologize is because I feel like even if I did not cause the damage the members deserve it. I hate to see people confused and lost and angry, because then it makes me angry because I know what this site used to be and that it can be even greater.

All I ask is patience, I really don't expect anyone to believe me, but I'm a sincere guy and I'm sure the rest of the team will back me up when I say Eclipse will be going in a good direction soon. Also, I don't think Amish is a horrible leader I just think his tactics weren't well organized, but he has been trying his best it's just again a lot of stuff in the background some people don't know about.

There just needs to be a refocus on an open-source engine, or at-least an emphasis on a scripting language so that members can work together on projects like they could in the past. That's why Eclipse is dying. It has always had a scripting or open-source engine which members could change freely and work together. Now, all they got is a bunch of 3rd party engines and no official open-source one. I asked Amish to let me run it, but he is pretty hard to convince and why I am done with this community.

I can be a dick, but nothing lasts forever. A place to talk to your friends can be done anywhere. A place that can make 2-D MMOs is almost extinct. That's why I don't like Marsh's attitude or leadership in terms of just a place for his friends to chat around. It's pointless.

> There just needs to be a refocus on an open-source engine, or at-least an emphasis on a scripting language so that members can work together on projects like they could in the past. That's why Eclipse is dying. It has always had a scripting or open-source engine which members could change freely and work together. Now, all they got is a bunch of 3rd party engines and no official open-source one. I asked Amish to let me run it, but he is pretty hard to convince and why I am done with this community.
>
>  
>
> I can be a *, but nothing lasts forever. A place to talk to your friends can be done anywhere. A place that can make 2-D MMOs is almost extinct. That's why I don't like Marshy dearest's attitude or leadership in terms of just a place for his friends to chat around. It's pointless.

We all know why he didn't let you run it. But im not starting another flaming war.

> We all know why he didn't let you run it. But im not starting another flaming war.

Because instead of people like me, he will allow Death the kid to be an admin. I am a very different type of person when I am given authority, but I don't even care. You guys can do whatever you want.

I may be wrong, but it seems more like Eclipse is dying, not because of it being VB6, but all the flaming and arguing that happens. I don't expect everyone to get along and I know I don't get along with some people here, but I think a lot of the members need to learn when to shut their mouths and swallow their pride.