Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VB6 is gone for Windows 8

Timmah

Windows 8 won't be out for a few years and even after that most people will still be using Windows XP/7\. I still like Windows XP over 7, just because of how much more CPU it requires.

But by then I'm sure Origins will be long gone and something else will be in its place. You can always convert data over to the new engine too.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Helladen:

> Windows 8 won't be out for a few years and even after that most people will still be using Windows XP/7\. I still like Windows XP over 7, just because of how much more CPU it requires.
>
> But by then I'm sure Origins will be long gone and something else will be in its place. You can always convert data over to the new engine too.

win7 uses <1% on all my comps to idle

@Fabio:

> win7 uses <1% on all my comps to idle

What I found on windows vista and 7 is that every couple of seconds or so there is some disk activity, if you look at the LED that shows that on your PC you will see it blink every few seconds without fail, even after booting up the PC with nothing running it will ALWAYS be blipping every couple of seconds. With windows XP it ran completely silent if you were doing nothing, no little disk activity bits here and there.

@Anna:

> So does DOSbox not work in Win7?

It works because it is an x86-16 emulator, just like Bochs is a full x86-emulator.

@Helladen:

> I believe DOS works in Windows 7 because the command prompt/Run.exe is still in it which is powered by DOS. I could be wrong though.

The prompt hardly has anything to do with MS-DOS. It's there for people who need a shell (e.g. people using UNIX utilities that were ported to Windows). Since Windows 95, MS-DOS applications are run through VM86, which is absent on the x86-64 extension, which is why Windows x86-64 can't run MS-DOS applications directly.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> They will, but only for IPv4-addresses. If you start using "::1", or any of the IPv6-addresses, then such games won't be able to connect. (Phenomena takes a few years to occur on a daily base)
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

Will current IPv4 users have their IPs replaced automatically with IPv6 addresses?

@MrMiguu:

> Will current IPv4 users have their IPs replaced automatically with IPv6 addresses?

A subset of the IPv6-addresses represents the entire IPv4-family, however, those who only have IPv4-support, will not be able to interact with networks using IPv6-addresses.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> A subset of the IPv6-addresses represents the entire IPv4-family, however, those who only have IPv4-support, will not be able to interact with networks using IPv6-addresses.
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

Will upgrading depend on the household's internet plan with their current company?
(e.g. I am with Verizon using FiOS. Will we automatically get coverage or will they most likely req. us to upgrade?)

@MrMiguu:

> Will upgrading depend on the household's internet plan with their current company?
> (e.g. I am with Verizon using FiOS. Will we automatically get coverage or will they most likely req. us to upgrade?)

The operating system has to support IPv6 (which is true for most operating systems made after the year 2000). Next to that, the router has to support IPv6 as well (most will), and then finally your ISP has to lease IPv6-addresses (only very few will at this moment; only China and the U.S. Military do extensively use IPv6 at this moment). [This site](http://test-ipv6.com/) will tell you what is supported and what is not.

Take note that most ISPs probably won't enforce you to change plans and start leasing IPv6-addresses once they've set that up (next to a DNS service for IPv6).

Regards,
  Stephan.

@MrMiguu:

> **@Godlord** What would one have to do (If using C or another language that can support Winsock 2.2.0 libraries with little-to-no hassle) to support both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for their project/game?

Considering Apple's OpenTransport is dead, BSD sockets is the only network interface that remains (next to some very exotic interfaces for game consoles and things like that). Winsock has inherited BSD sockets as well, except in its very own flavour (porting differences are minimal though).

All you have to do is use the new interface and write IP-agnostic code (You can also write IPv4 or IPv6 code, but I discourage that, unless you know what you are doing). The best way to do this is by using getaddrinfo() to resolve domain names and set up information structures for you to use when creating sockets.

I think ["Beej's guide to Network Programming"](http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/html/singlepage/bgnet.html) is the best resource you can have as for network programming. It has been upgraded to be IP-agnostic since a few years ago or so and goes into great detail as far as networking programming is concerned (For very specific details you might consider ["Winsock Programmer's F.A.Q."](http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/)). [Mad Wizard's "Winsock Network Tutorial (C++)"](http://www.madwizard.org/programming/tutorials/netcpp/) is also a great resource, but uses IPv4-interfaces. For actual game networking, there are fewer resources on the internet (since many games simply use a basic TCP-based protocol and since many protocols and games are closed-source), but you should consider looking through Quake 3's networking protocol if TCP doesn't provide sufficient performance or has an enormous latency.

**Note**: it is possible that if you are programming in .net or Java, that you'll end up using other interfaces than BSD sockets. Nevertheless, the resources provided are still worth to be read.

Regards,
  Stephan.

• 2 weeks later...
VB6 is heavily dependent on COM (Common Object Model). Microsoft has long hinted that it would like to move away from COM, but it is so heavily ingrained in the operating system and in their other software that I would consider it suicidal (but not impossible).

As far as Winsock is concerned, it is true that the Winsock Control does not support IPv6, and it doesn't look like it ever will. IPv6 is supported in Vista, Win 7, and XP-SP2\. Both Vista and Win 7 support the new calls required to support IPv6 via the library file "ws2_32.dll". Apparently this file can be added to XP-SP2 to provide the necessary support, but I have not tried it. The crux of this is that the Winsock API now supports IPv6 on these systems, and I am in the process of modifying the "cSocket" Class from Oleg Gdalevich to support IPv6\. This Class module and it's support module "modSocketMaster" are a direct drop-in replacement for the Winsock Control, but .

This conversion is proving to be a lot more difficult than I anticipated. I have a simple TCP Chat program working in both IPv4 and IPv6, but there are still some fundamental differences in these 2 protocols that are causing difficulty. With IPv4, you only had one IP address to worry about, but with IPv6, you can have several (I currently have 4). The Winsock Control and the cSocket Class were both designed to support a single socket.

If any VB6 programmers are willing to work with me to help make this transition, please contact me.

J.A. Coutts