Find results in...

Crystalshire:Developer's Edition-For Dummies

Rob Janes

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@aiden500:

> I thought about that but again people would delete it so i need some way to integrate it into the source?

What is with you and copyrights?

NOBODY is going to steal your graphics, especially of a small-time Eclipse game that will possibly have a fan-base of 8 people.

@Erwin:

> Writing a copyright somewhere doesn't mean you have copyrighted your stuff, copyrighting costs alot money so you can't do anything if they steal it.

In UK law (not sure about other places), any ideas you write down are automatically copyrighted. ;]

aiden500 is British? That's what I get for assuming stupid people are American.

Copyright laws differ drastically from country to country. Trying to protect your copyright internationally is plain stupid, especially over the internet.

Stop caring so much about who's stealing your work and spend your time actually working on it.

how does that saying go? Imitation is the highest form of flattery…?

If you become any sort of success and people have been stealing your work, all it is going to do is get you more attention. People in their small circles will be like "where did you get these!?" and their little ringleaders will be all "This guy that made [insert title here] created them and I liked them too!" or "I created them but this other guy stole them and made a better game than I did!"… whatever right?

@Shadowwulf:

> how does that saying go? Imitation is the highest form of flattery…?
>
> If you become any sort of success and people have been stealing your work, all it is going to do is get you more attention. People in their small circles will be like "where did you get these!?" and their little ringleaders will be all "This guy that made [insert title here] created them and I liked them too!" or "I created them but this other guy stole them and made a better game than I did!"… whatever right?

Exactly, so you should be happy that people are stealing them, free advertising ftw.

Yeah, no. People using your work as an inspiration is flattery. People stealing your work, re-releasing it under their own name, starting a crusade to turn your own community against you and all the time make more money than you ever did because they're selling something you released for free…

Whoever thinks that is flattery obviously hasn't been in that situation.

@Erwin:

> Writing a copyright somewhere doesn't mean you have copyrighted your stuff, copyrighting costs alot money so you can't do anything if they steal it.

That's only if you file it with the US library of congress (or other similar establishment) and want it 100% provable.

Legally it's copyrighted if you just put your name (it can even be a penn name), the year, and the symbol on it, but only as long as you can PROVE that you have it first.

Basically if you have those 3 things and you can prove its yours its a legit copyright.

But the proving it's yours and you made it first is the trickiest part sometimes. And that's why you pay to have someone do that for you.

@newz:

> Hello.
>
> how to add font for another language :huh:?
>
> thanks very much.

if you don't draw text onto the screen its easy, if you did then forget it.

ALSO, THIS IS COMPLETELY THE WRONG PLACE TO ASK THAT… >.<

1/2 way back on topic…

@Rob:

> Or do a poor man's protection method and mail a disk of images or code to yourself as a registered package with your federal government mail service.

This works too, it's government registered and you can have a list of the contents registered too.

;D I like that Idea.

Another thing that can prove time when it was made and by who: this forum!

as long as you have the stuff in a WIP post on here and it doesn't get pruned or deleted, there is a time stamp on every post! and its easy to prove your account ;D

Here, the easiest way to self copy-write anything…
Print it out(in this case all the source code with some screen shots).
Package it up nicely.
Send it to yourself certified mail.

It will be sealed by the post office and unless it's been opened in anyway, you can use it as proof.
That is unless someone managed to do it before you...
So don't be throwing your code around all whimsically like Robin!(jk)

While this has gone slightly off topic, back to the game
- added a complete guild system and rendered UI. Guilds can have up to 30 members, their own guild chat, bank and I'm working on a guild leveling system at the moment.
- pvp point system. A pvp kill gives 2 pvp points which can be traded for gear or hairstyles.