Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EO2.0 or CS:DE?

Anonymious

EO 2.0 is really the more accessible version, it really does provide a base for professional game making. CS:DE is missing things here and there and honestly it's got opportunity for good things but only for people who really know how to work in VB6.

I really choose EO 2.0, it's just a very simple base for doing anything you want.

It's a catch 22 situation.

Going with EO has a bit more stability, and it's feature complete whereas some things in CS:DE need to be adjusted to work properly.  However, going with EO is using an older engine, and doesn't offer as many professional looking features as CS:DE, EO looks more hobbiest.

If you're new, I'd say start with EO, but only use it to learn, when you're ready to make a true game, start with CS:DE

I agree with Rob, but you need to take certain things into account. Mostly how you want your game to look, there's no point using something as glossy as CS when you're making a retro with SNES graphics, just as using RMVX graphics with EO looks silly because you need to edit the crap out of them to make them work with EO. If you're not worried about how this pans out, or you're using your own style, ignore this advice and use Rob's.

@Shroom:

> Lies. We all know that Robin uses a high tech engine from Mars. HA, I can't believe we fell for this.

You fell for it. Ive known Robin was an alien with supernatural programming abilities for some time.

On topic: I use EO cuz I suck with vb and dont want to risk brain hemorrhage.

@Rob:

> What games are made with CS aside from CS?

Mine. It's not really a public game, though. It's just a project I use to practice programming and then a few of my friends come on. It look almost the same as CS since I use the original GUI until Robin updated his GUI.

Your. Isn't your based on CS:DE?

Skideria http://www.skideria.com. Before CS updated to the new GUI, this game was almost the same as CS.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Yumi:

> What about CS:DE Dummies edition??? I think that is better than CS:DE :P . Cant wait until i get that and get rid of "user-friendly" system since i dont want people who play the game gonna change the system by editing a ini and save it :P

CS:DE Dummies edition isn't even out yet.

I might start something with CS:DE, but rip out the trade function until I can get that working, by just removing the button from the GUI.

Is this really down to discussion? I'd've thought the answer would be obvious; if you're not so good with VB, EO, good with VB, CSDE…

With CSDE, you've got to consider that several things need finishing, rendering, for example. Then there's the UI system, and you may want to consider rewriting it. Then there's fMod, and the fact that you need to remember not to stop the IDE abruptly, lest it crashes...and more.

Personally, I'd rather write a DX8 engine from scratch (Which I currently am. It's quite fun, actually. ;D), then you can organise code how you'd like, and won't have to spend another while familiarising yourself with the rendering code...not that it's particularly difficult.

And, if you're wondering, no, I did not bother reading the thread. ;p

@Matlock:

> You fell for it. Ive known Robin was an alien with supernatural programming abilities for some time.
>
> On topic: I use EO cuz I suck with vb and dont want to risk brain hemorrhage.

Ok… for one. VB and directdraw8 are the freaking easiest languages to use. A down syndrome blind monkey could learn it, so im not sure why your praising him. plus hes a straight prick who gives out his work for free and then whines and complains that people are stealing it. So no, hes not an alien with supernatural powers.

Hes a bitchy little douchebag snob with moderate programming skills whom you all praise and worship as a damn god...

He needs to learn his place, and im here to put him in it.

> Ok… for one. VB and directdraw8 are the freaking easiest languages to use. A down syndrome blind monkey could learn it, so im not sure why your praising him. plus hes a straight prick who gives out his work for free and then whines and complains that people are stealing it. So no, hes not an alien with supernatural powers.

Making a game engine in any language is hard. Visual Basic may not be the most challenging language, but it still requires some level of skill. Making a game engine isn't just graphics, you need a server-client model, packets, AI logic, other players, sound, and probably a lot of other things I've overlooked. You don't necessarily need to be a good programmer, but I haven't seen anything of the like come out of you.