Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elandor Chronicles

Dark Crusade

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-i5TjyezvQxc/UzRkFAXB-iI/AAAAAAAAAO4/9dQxBRnk12g/s1600/1.png)
_Elandor Chronicles is a game reminiscent of the Super Nintendo generation of video games. It aims to make significant changes to the ORPG scene, incorporating new features and technology, while retaining nostalgic gameplay from some of the most popular titles in video game history._

**Overview**

From the beginning, I've wanted to recreate game elements and features reminiscent of the golden age of gaming, inspired from famous titles such as Final Fantasy series, Legend of Zelda series, and a handful of others. I wanted to revive what was lost, or is otherwise a dying breed in today's gaming world. Elements such as 16x16px tilesets, MIDI soundtracks, 8 bit sound effects, and a world presented with both retro and fantastic themes and feels.

I wanted to immerse the players in a unique world that doesn't feel cliched, overdone or generic. I didn't want to limit the player's game-play and possibilities to his level, restricting him to specific zones, areas and dungeons until he musters up the experience to unravel only a handful of new content, but instead give them the freedom to explore and ponder wherever they wish. I wanted a world where a new player could travel between many cities, towns and landmarks, without being quickly felled by monsters in an area that otherwise should be left for higher level players. Elandor will eventually be huge, and I will include secrets and an incredibly diverse amount of areas that a single player may never see all of.

The game will contain a fine combination of realism, fantasy and simplicity; roads between cities will be long, areas will be huge and open, and monsters won't be swarming every road between every village. The world won't be linear scaled, as such as you move further away from the starting village, things won't always necessarily be harder. When providing new content and updates, I won't just add new content for higher level players. Emphasis will be on adventure, social interaction and other elements, as so that 'leveling' isn't the primary task in game. Player's shouldn't feel that in order to enjoy and prevail in the game, they should grind for experience, and raid dungeons for loot.

To build a community, I will be heavily focusing on aspects to encourage players to role-play, socialize, party together and travel together, and otherwise build themselves a social stature. We want players to crave mystery and adventure, and to be rewarded for it. When updating the world with new areas, we might often design some new secret areas for pre-existing zones, however won't reveal them so players will be encouraged to adventure and keep an eye out for changing content.

After all, Elandor Chronicles will be a role-playing game. Too many MMORPGs focus on completive play. I want to change what's important in an online RPG, I want to put the role-playing back into the genre, and create a world which is more than just combat and quests.

And of course, accompanying the immersive gameplay will be completely original and high quality music and graphics, appropriate and reminiscent of the golden age of gaming.

**World Concept**

* The world is not fantasy-driven. Magic is rare, and often feared. The arcane arts is fathomed by few, and trained by fewer. Magic artifacts are rare, and civilizations do not have enchanted weapons, portals, or magical devices.
* The world is not linear or balanced. Adventurers are not limited in any way; roads between all cities in the entire continent may or may not be safe. Dangerous encounters do not necessarily get more powerful in each subsequent province. Although adventurers will be challenged as they generally progress, not every landmass is crawling with increasingly difficult creature and critter.
* The world isn't as dangerous as you might think. Every single online game is swarming with unfathomable amounts of monsters and difficulties. For once, Elandor Chronicles introduces a world not overrun by demons, or at the brink of invasion or war. There are safer zones and wilds, and most roads between towns and cities are safe, even for the newest and weakest players.
* The world is not complicated and full of story, rumor and lore. There is no history for the king's castle and any previous wars or fights for the throne. There is no learning curve or names and story to remember. NPCs won't present you with rich dialogue, or give you seemingly complicated quests with a lot of backstory.
* Wolves, bears and rats do not exist. The world is unfamiliar. Every creature and critter will be original, and have their own tactics, weakness and defenses. There may be forests of giant mushrooms, rivers of fire, or lakes with underground civilizations.
* Currency is rare. An adventurer won't return to town hoarding thousands of coins and dozens of new items. Shops don't have many powerful or overly fancy items and weapons for wealthy and strapping adventurers. And money isn't found on and under everything in the environment. No more picking up gold coins or swords after slaying a wolf.
* There won't be a recorded quest log or sub-story line. Adventurers can perform side quests for townsfolk; however their needs will be simple. Rewards for such tasks could range from additional helpful items, money, or unlocking or opening something. In most mmo's, every player is tasked with quests which logically are unreasonable. Every player in the game won't be able to retrieve a quest to obtain a special treasure from a dungeon. Instead, these 'treasures' in dungeons can be brought back to any major city and presented to a 'collector' for payment.
* Adventurers won't find and fill up their inventory with all manner of items. There will be very few enchanted items or weapons in the game. There won't be randomly generated treasure or magical swords such as 'brawling great sword of the demon'. Instead, each item you find will have a specific use, and may serve important in the game.
* Items aren't detailed and numeral. Weapons won't be looked at as a number of how much damage they deal. Instead, each monster faced will react differently. No weapon or armor in the game will show exact statistics. They will be different under every circumstance and encounter, so the adventurers will have to tactically think which to use.
* Due to the simple format of the graphics (low-res pixel art), it will be much more plausible for more time to be spent in designing and mapping out the world. This will promise a large game-world for players to live in.
* The graphics will be inspired by some of the greatest video games on the Super Nintendo, with modern and original designs and capabilities. The world will be huge and diverse, with many different settings, creatures and civilizations.
* The music will be memorable. The most famous tracks in video game history focused on a memorable and original melody, and not the format. Some of the memorable songs, included tracks from franchises such as 'ËœLegend of Zelda' and 'ËœCastlevania'.

**Look and Feel**

Elandor Chronicles aims to recreate the nostalgic feel of older generation RPGs, with carefully designed 16x16px graphics, 8 bit sound effects, and accompanying MIDI soundtracks. The game-world is displayed in a top-down perspective, comprised of moderate-color count pixel art graphics.

The overall ambience of the game is bright and simple, but full of life and detail. The over-world comprises of different warm palettes, inspired by various old-generation games including Legend of Zelda- A Link to the Past, and the Dragon Quest series. Dungeons and outer-regions however, often comprise of completely different tones, setting the mood and using weather particle-systems such as fog.

While most of the initial game content is familiar to players, players will encounter fantastic sceneries and settings such as giant-mushroom forests, and an array of entirely original creatures and critters. Although most cities and towns will be mundane, players will quickly learn that the world is both unknown and foreign, which will make it a curiosity to explore, but also dangerous, particularly when off the beaten road.

![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/a1c5967e33d1603ae4ec6f42dbce07a0.png)

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-t79S3gf6qFU/Uot42QuI3QI/AAAAAAAAAKo/Qs1-yKpgNXk/s1600/sedon.png)

![](http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-E818XkHqEFc/Uot2gmA951I/AAAAAAAAAKE/dsPhsEbU_Do/s1600/helmsglade2.png)
Expore vibrant and retro landscapes, towns and caves.

**Project Scope**

The first release of Elandor Chronicles aims to provide content for 10 levels of character experience. However contrary to many online role-playing games, Elandor Chronicles will have a lot more content for each level, and experience requirements for additional levels will be high. To breakdown and decompose larger tasks and aim for realistic goals, Elandor Chronicles will be released in a series of 'chapters', each featuring new locations, creatures, and other content. The first chapter is called 'Tales of a New World', and will contain-

* 3 settlements. These include the capital imperial city of Helmsglade, the rural town of Greenbrook, and the Crossroad Inn located on Eagleford Road.
* 9 Overworld Zones. Each area resides in the first province of Elandor, making up the meadows, hills, rivers and forests in the imperial region surrounding the city of Helmsglade. These zones include Ralok Hills, Eldor Heights, Desolate Valley, Sedon Reef, Cinder Fields, Eagleford Road, Riverdell Hollow, Scarlet Range and the Amber Forest. Each of these zones may also have a number of caves or other similar small dungeons.
* 3 Major Dungeons. The Castle Ruins (which is also the remains of the old city of Helmsglade), the Moonlit Grotto, and the Abandoned Mineshaft.
* Each over-world zone and dungeon will contain approximately 4-5 unique creatures or critters each, promising about 50 creatures for the first province.
* Approximately 120+ weapons, including swords, axes, maces, bows and wands.
* Approximately 120+ armor items, compromising primarily of chest-gear and leggings, and also boots, gloves, headgear and shields.
* About 24+ trinkets, which range from rings and amulets to mirrors and compasses.
* About 12+ consumables, including both potions and food to recover health, mana or stamina, provide buffs or reduce status effects.
* About 30 spells, which are available at stores and also can be found in dungeons.
* 3 different skill trees, with 10 skills each. All skills can also be upgraded 3 times at higher levels, totaling 90 different skills or variations thereof.
* 4 Major repeatable quest types, including bountys, delivery, retrieval, and treasure hunting.

![](http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Osm9EknX41A/UWPE-XQdzlI/AAAAAAAAAG8/SHO-grM0W1M/s1600/haircolors.gif)
You will be able to customise your character with a large range of equipable and wearable items, hair styles, and colors.

**Important Focuses**

Elandor Chronicles emphasizes on different aspects then most video games, focusing on creating an original and unique experience for all its players. Three of the game's most important focuses will be as follows-

**Travel and Practicality**

Elandor Chronicles will encourage players to explore and adventure, with rewards, secrets and other incentives. With limited 'quick-travel', players will be obligated to often travel a familiar road, but may be greeted with variety, such as new content, and sometimes rare encounters. Players in most games have had the aptitude to teleport or quick-travel almost anywhere. However Elandor Chronicles endeavors to immerse you in a real and practical road. You will have to adventure often to reach different towns or cities, but as such you may encounter rare creatures or other chance content.

Travel will be one small part of Elandor which will aim to immerse players into the game-world, and make them feel like a denizen of Elandor, and not just a player aiming to 'beat' the game.

**Social Interaction**

On the road, players might find themselves sharing the world, and be eager to travel together for company. As such, I will be implementing a variety of systems and features to encourage social interaction. A social community is important in Elandor Chronicles, and as such not only will ill-behavior be moderated, but incentives will also be promoted. For example, by partying with other players, not only will it be easier to take on harder areas or dungeons, but you'll get a small XP bonus, have company on a long road, and in particular instances, be able to co-operate to enter areas or achieve tasks that otherwise one player would not be able to.

**Retro Art and Music**

With an original MIDI soundtrack, 16-bit SFX and graphics, Players will be carried on a nostalgic trip, reminiscent of some of the greatest titles on old video game consoles such as the SNES, and Master-Drive. Aside from the graphics themselves however, aspects and elements familiar with these titles will also be implemented. With open-house mapping designs, and a variety of other interesting presentations, it will feel retro, unique, but most important of all, remarkable.

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/8f48bc3bf8c1269b94e2a2db535ec6ca.png)
Collection of weapons, previewing the 6 initial weapon types in Elandor Chronicles.

**The Team**

* Beau Buckley (myself), I am the project leader of Elandor Chronicles. I design and develop the game, including art, SFX, world design, and some music.
* Clark Bonafe (aka Togekite), is the lead musician and composer for Elandor Chronicles, already completing the foundation of what is an amazing soundtrack for the first release. [Click here for a sample of the soundtrack!](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/07f7ba676c87f57c2fb3d2feb2ac0845.mid)
* 'Dash' Neilson, additional artist for the project, working on both NPCs and icons.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow; this is so very well planned and thought out. It sounds fascinating in many ways, and I hope it'll be as enjoyable as it reads. It's rather rare when something entices me to read all of the information, especially when there's so much of it. I wish you the best of luck with this project.

P.S. The short description of Elandor is pasted twice under the logo.

> Oh wow; this is so very well planned and thought out. It sounds fascinating in many ways, and I hope it'll be as enjoyable as it reads. It's rather rare when something entices me to read all of the information, especially when there's so much of it. I wish you the best of luck with this project.
>
> P.S. The short description of Elandor is pasted twice under the logo.

Thanks! I strive to be as professional and realistic as I can in regards to developing this game. Over the past year or so, I've spent time working on graphics and designing every aspect of the game. This is a project which I'll fund, either through a site such as kickstarter, or by myself. I'm currently working on the final design aspects, and more graphical content. Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to start internal development.

> P.S. The short description of Elandor is pasted twice under the logo.

Thanks, fixed!

> Looks great so far, what are you guys creating this with?

Once I've finalised all designs, and produced the rest of the graphics and such, I'll look into finding a team and producing the funds to begin internal development. I'm being as realistic as I can about all this. As I'm sure you'll interpret, I don't plan on using any free engine, or a language such as visual basic. I'm hoping to take an object orientated approach and use a language such as c++.

Can this be stickied and used as an example of a **_good_** project page? It's probably one of the most coherent and comprehensive posts I've seen.

Also, are the graphics custom or are they taken from somewhere else? They look really familiar, but I'm not sure if that's just because they're well-done retro graphics. ;D

> Can this be stickied and used as an example of a **_good_** project page? It's probably one of the most coherent and comprehensive posts I've seen.
>
> Also, are the graphics custom or are they taken from somewhere else? They look really familiar, but I'm not sure if that's just because they're well-done retro graphics. ;D

I think graphics are his own.

Awesome project btw.

> When you reach that stage, feel free to PM me if you'd like. I wouldn't mind lending a hand for free ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)

Thanks dude, will definately do!!

> Can this be stickied and used as an example of a **_good_** project page? It's probably one of the most coherent and comprehensive posts I've seen.
>
> Also, are the graphics custom or are they taken from somewhere else? They look really familiar, but I'm not sure if that's just because they're well-done retro graphics. ;D

That means a lot to hear! And all custom by myself, I've been working on the graphics over the course of 2 or so years now. I started designing Elandor Chronicles quite a while ago.

> If at some point you'd like another pair of hands, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the offer! I'm looking to form a team shortly to get things ready for internal development, so in the near future I'll definately send a message your way!

> Finally! I'll be able to play. Really like the way you handle retro graphics. Looking forward to it Kreator, good luck!

Thanks, once again means a lot from a fellow pixel artist!

> A brilliant project presentation. Easy to ready and a pleasure to the eyes. I'm looking forward to see any updates you post. Good luck with your project.
>
> Sticky.

Thanks dude! I'll reveal more soon!

**Preview Update!**

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/9315568915f6f4ce9aa1c2d4cf79e875.png)

I've been working on all inventory icons recently, hoping to get them all completed soon! Here's a sample of some of the recent shields and chestgear I've developed!

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/dec5ee57c6b5d3a407828c20fc165f72.png)

In the first release of Elandor Chonicles, there are 6 armor slots including boots, chestgear, gloves, headgear, leggings and shields. There are also 5 weapon types, which will be expanded upon in a following release. The first 5 weapon types are axes, bows, maces, swords and wands.

More to come soon, so keep checking back!

> I'm really excited for this project and will definitely be keeping my eye on it. I love the graphics and the nostalgic feel.
>
> Keep up the great work! ![^_^](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.png)

Thanks!

And an update on progress, all sword and axe designs, icons and statistics are completed! Currently working on maces, and finishing up on chestgear.

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/0e22ef98b384c656951706cdf9b65fef.png)

Preview of some swords and axes in the initial release for Elandor Chronicles

Can you create simular looking retro-inspired weapons? If so, there might be a spot on the team for you! I'm looking to assemble a team soon to finish the game-asset phase of development prior to internal development (in-game). If your interested, send me a personal message and show me what you can do!

> This is amazing. Good luck.

Thanks!

> Oh wow. This definitely shot up to second on my "omigoshplzcomeoutnow" list. High hopes for this (not too high, don't want to be disappointed, hahah)!

Thanks Duke. I've set realistic goals, documented and designed everything, and analysed problems and systems both as a whole and decomposed. I'm confident that I both understand what needs to be done, and will reach those goals set. I've learnt a lot since I first started messing with game design back when I was about 16 (I'm 22 now). Unlike a lot of indie-developers, I'm not going to aim for unrealistic project scopes, or poorly designed spontaneous projects. As mentioned previously, when I've completed the game-asset phase for this project, I'll look for funding (either via kickstarter, or through my own working funds), or a programmer who's interests match mine in developing this project.

Wish me luck! I'm confident and devoted!

> I really like your art. Did you develop all of it yourself?

Yeah, all original and developed by myself. Lot's more to see too!

**3 Attributes**

Strength, Speed and Magic. The 3 primary attributes which are used to define your character. They are simple, and few, but I've been thinking it out, and recently also iteratively developed formulas until armor, health, weapon requirements, and so forth worked together and were balanced, no matter the playstyle or character build. So what do each of them do?

**Strength** is required for using burly weapons (mostly heavy melee) and armor. It also gives small bonuses to melee weapon damage and health.

**Speed** is required to use swift weapons (mostly ranged, and also lighter melee such as daggers) and some armor types. It also gives small bonuses to ranged weapon damage and stamina.

**Magic** is required to use magic weapons (such as wands and some enchanted wweapons), and magic armor. It also gives small bonuses to magic damage and mana.

Focusing in strength will constitute a powerful warrior capable of using heavy armors and weapons. They will have more a bonus to health, and both deal and deduct high weapon damage. Unfortately, they will have low stamina for skills, and have very little magic protection and be unable to use any magical gear or tactical weapons.

Focusing in speed will develop a powerful rogue or ranger, capable of using fast melee or ranged weapons, and also have a large bank of stamina for using different skills to give them a tactical advantage on the battlefield.

Focusing in magic will create a powerful wizard, capable of casting devastating spells and using magical gear. They will have a high amount of mana, however very little armor and less-then average health. They will be very vulnerable to weapon attacks.

Combinations are necessary for different playerstyles and weapon and armor requirements. Examples include sharing attribute points between speed and strength to use gallant swords and have a combination of strength and speed (skills) in combat. Strength and Magic on the otherhand will allow a player to effectively cast spells and use weapons, equipping heavier armors, including rarer enchanted plate armors requiring both strength and magic.

To compliment this, players will be able to use specific weapons and skills to a strong advantage. One build option, for example, is using weapons which can cause bleeding, with skills which hit hard dealing additional damage. Bleeding causes a percentage of the weapon hit to deal damage to the target over time. By using a skill to deal more damage and perhaps increase chances of bleeding, a player could adapt a playstyle frequently dealing heavy bleeding damage to foes to bring them down.

The potion system I have in play will not allow potion spamming, neither for health, stamina or mana. The descriptions above are just general, to give an idea of the importance of each skill. I'll delve into more gameplay mechanics and features in the future to elaborate on playstyles, builds, and balancing.

If there's any questions, ask away and I'll explain them more in depth, as I've only touched upon them!

Hey guys, as you know I make polls from time to time to get opinions and feedback on game features and mechanics from potential players! I've recently posted a poll about potions in ORPGs, check it out-

http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/130484-potions-in-rpgs-poll/

Also, a small update, I've finished chestgear for the initial release, although I'm strongly considering on revisiting them and working on a few more later!

> Not to come off as an attack. Why is this Pinned though?

Not an attack at all! Admin's pinned it due to it being a perfect example of a comprehensive and well-developed project post. That and I guess it is a pretty amazing looking project from a long-time member of the community. (;