Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which version should I go for?

Soryn

I've dabbled with eclipse back when EE was in its infancy and even won a mapping contest or two. Now, after a few years I've come back to give it another whirl. But now there are so many versions, its hard to know what to pick. I want an engine that isn't riddled with glaring bugs (don't we all?) so that I don't have to spend a lot of time fixing it or waiting for a fix which might never come. Also, I would like something that has a lot of added features. I'm sure I'll hear a lot of "one or the other" but there has to be a version out there which has the best of both worlds. With the new forums, a lot of content has gone missing it seems. Overall, its just confusing having 50 different versions of eclipse running around with some custom ones branching off of other custom versions and so forth.

So, I'd like to ask you guys what I should use and why?

I have no issues with implementing the tutourials myself, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance for your help. I really don't want to get started with one version and then have to switch to another.

> I'd suggest Eclipse Origins 2.0, with [http://www.touchofde…m/89-bug-fixes/](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/forum/89-bug-fixes/) added.
>
> I advise against using any custom version. Either use EO2, 2.3, or 3.0.

Thanks for the quick reply… which one is 3.0? Doesn't seem to be listed in the official release section. Or is that the nightly version?

xD wow nyan didnt say his own engine. but ill jump in and say this. try them out read bout each and choose for ur self.programming support now is even lower then bk then xD. so make your own choices no one here can tell you wat will work best for you you need figure it outs. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png) anyways good lucks!!! ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png) and welcome back.!!

I do not mentioned ER becouse i do not finished it and it have still few minor bugs and big todo list ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png) If you wanna dx8 engine then wait until i finish ER or use Rob's one when he will release one. Otherwise use EO 2.0 or if you want EO 2.3, what have very advanced event system, but it have few glitches and it is slowing server performance.

EO 2.0 is most stable and there are tons of good and easy tutorials to follow for extra features, so you get the best of both worlds.

Robs engine may become official soon tho since he's winning developer position which can lead to a dev team working on it and making it the official supported version.

Avoid any other version in the custom version board.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm in the same boat as you mate^ used to be active here and have come back with so many versions available. Your guys advice is helpful in deciding which version to stick with.

I have a question or two though-

How is Eclipse Mega? Should I really avoid all of the Eclipse versions on the custom page?

Also which version is Eclipse 2.0, is that the same as Eclipse Stable which can be found on the main page?

no, the one on the main page is 2.3, 2.0 can be found in the Official Downloads board. 2.0 does not have the Event System while 2.3 does.

I'm not sure how good Eclipse Mega is but being as how it's coming from a moderator, i would most likely bet that it's a great engine. You should avoid MOST of the CVs unless you plan to NOT have a way to learn how to program. My best choice would have to be 2.0 or 2.3 since you are using a more stable graphics engine. DX8 tends to cause some issues with certain graphics cards.

• 1 month later...
So I've narrowed it down to picking either the engine "Some Name here" or EA.

I really like EA's GUI and larger screen size, but the events system occasionally will crash when editing it- this may be a problem I can live with if I save often.

Some Name Here's pro's are that it is stable, fast and has individual tile animations through the event's system.

> I like EA the best really it's fast and simple no mumbo jumbo stuff ! That's my opinion. Well just go with eo 2.3 I recommend if u don't like anything to big. I love EA just saying , but whatever.

I've been warned that EA is a bit buggy, but apart from the occasional trouble with the events system it seems very nice. I know it's no longer supported but I like it, especially it's slick and unobtrusive GUI. Would you suggest against starting a project in it?