Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Post Your Desktop.

japez

@‭‭‭Marshy:

> Was thinking of trying windows 8\. Going to wait until the term is over though so it doesnt mess up any of my school stuff. How are you liking it?

Well, to be honest, I find it too centralized around Mobile Devices. It also has some peculiar issues that force you to take backdoors to get 98% of your work done. It tends to cause VS2010 to crash quite often for me, as well as freeze and not work for a while.

One thing I do like, is the native Dual-Taskbar-Background display. It actually has quite a handful of features with this. The desktop backgrounds can be setup so that when in multi-monitor mode, it will change them differently on each screen. It also automatically adds a taskbar to each screen. And you can set the taskbars up so that all the non-main taskbars only show open windows on their screen in their taskbar. Or you can set it up so that it shows all windows on your main taskbar, and then also shows them on the taskbar on the screen where they are open, and the last setting for them is to show everything on all taskbars.

Although it may be more Mobility-Centered, I do like parts of the new start menu. You can categorize things and sort them on your start menu, but you also have the All-Apps portion which shows everything.

Another interesting feature is the Apps, which is like the Windows Phone, except Windows 8 treats the Desktop as an App. You can actually minimize or close your desktop.

Windows 8 also has handles at the edges of the screen like Windows 7 did, however they are different as they allow you to place Apps on the sides of your screen, in their own containers.

All-in-all I think that once the bugs are worked out Windows 8 will be a huge step toward the future. Especially with the every so decreasing intelligence of the average user. Windows 8 makes things easier for dummies.

Also, for anyone that was wondering, I tried another Mirage-Source Engine on Windows 8, and it ran fine. (The movement would not work, but that may have had other issues.) This means that Eclipse should be supported for Windows 8\. (Although if it has the same movement issue, someone will need to work around that.)

Thanks,
Aero/EBrown

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Operating System: Ubuntu 12.4 LTS
Desktop Environment: KDE

>! [![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/5727d4538c46305dd6183e59cc15c452.png)](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/#5727d4538c46305dd6183e59cc15c452.png)

Oh yeah, I'm a HUGE Portal fan soo… xD

the skin is jarvis but the eq is samurize circular eq and i edited the colors to match the jarvis skin.
and its kinda wierd to set up but if ya decide to get it feel free to ask if ya have any questions.

Here's mine, I have two monitors - one is smaller than the other, so that is why there is black around the left one.

My desktop changes every fifteen minutes, so it isn't always the same background image. :P
http://i.imgur.com/fMwWr.jpg

• 4 weeks later...