Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Housing In Game

Cyadinal

I think player housing in general is a GREAT feature for MMO games. Especially when the houses are actually in the gameworld and influence it, rather than the easy but lame instanced "apartments". The one downside with having real houses, is limitation of in-game real estate. For example, Tibia, houses in some high population towns go for a major premium, and it can be hard to get a house even if you are rolling in gold. But with instanced apartments, everyone basically has one.

In Eclipse it's pretty easy to do, although I don't know how versatile it is. Basically just make a row of houses, have each doorway warp to a different map, and in those maps place a PlayerHouse attribute. Then when a player steps on it, they can choose to buy that house. When they do, that map becomes theirs. They can type "/houseedit" or something to edit the house.

It's limited, but it's useful. You could do more via scripting though.

• 2 weeks later...
The scripted apartments idea is a good one. I have been considering the same for my game and have conluded that a code would be appropriate. A player would go into say a housing complex that is communal (meaning it's open to everyone) then they would go up to the right door and type in thier code to unlock it. Upon typing in thier code and entering they will be warped to the map which (hopfully for conveniece sake) corresponds to thier code. ex: code 128 warps player to map 128\. This is alright becuase it allows trusted friends to also go to the house provided they know the code.

Thats true, one could keep guessing and get into random peoples houses. perhaps a simple code system to get into your house would be good. One that uses numbers or better still numbers and letters that do not relate in any way to the map number assigned to them.

There is no point making housing system if for example your game reaches 100 players online.. You cant make any logical instancing with eclipse maps.

But on the point… to make it secure make some kind scripted tile that needs password input. And in addition if password was typed in correctly only house owner can actually acces special house menu.

@Cyrus:

> There is no point making housing system if for example your game reaches 100 players online.. You cant make any logical instancing with eclipse maps.

Why not?

> But on the point… to make it secure make some kind scripted tile that needs password input. And in addition if password was typed in correctly only house owner can actually acces special house menu.

You don't even need to deal with codes if you just store the owner name and maybe a guest list. The only downside to that is you need a file for every house, but it's the most secure, versatile, and easiest to use I think.

@Cyrus:

> There is no point making housing system if for example your game reaches 100 players online.. You cant make any logical instancing with eclipse maps.

I don't get this. I always thought an instance was an area of the map which revolves around the individual or group who enter it - or something like that, it's hard to type.

But I think you can make logical instancing. Code example for a tile outside an instance;

If the player is in a group
Check if player is leader
If player is leader then
Show a message box to asj if he wants to enter
If Player Clicks yes Then
Load Map 212
Copy and rename map 212
Paste map 215
Enter instance

And when you leave…
If player is group leader Then
Delete map 215.

I know, it has many, many errors but it's just a concept.

• 2 weeks later...
@Anna:

> I think player housing in general is a GREAT feature for MMO games. Especially when the houses are actually in the gameworld and influence it, rather than the easy but lame instanced "apartments". The one downside with having real houses, is limitation of in-game real estate. For example, Tibia, houses in some high population towns go for a major premium, and it can be hard to get a house even if you are rolling in gold. But with instanced apartments, everyone basically has one.
>
> In Eclipse it's pretty easy to do, although I don't know how versatile it is. Basically just make a row of houses, have each doorway warp to a different map, and in those maps place a PlayerHouse attribute. Then when a player steps on it, they can choose to buy that house. When they do, that map becomes theirs. They can type "/houseedit" or something to edit the house.
>
> It's limited, but it's useful. You could do more via scripting though.

An interesting idea I had to help with the issue of "instanced apartments" vs world player housing is to have both. When players are starting out, They can easily buy an apartment, of which they cannot do much with. They can live there, store things there, etc. But there could be blocked off functionality.

Once the player has tons of money, they can begin to attempt to buy a non-instanced house. I would suppose there would be competition for these houses that would drive prices up, buy that is not really a bad thing.

This would be basically like the real world. Apartments are easy to get, but you have to work hard to own your own house.

@Fruitpunch:

> I have heard that player housing does not work in EE 2.7 can anyone confirm this?

I tried doing it recently on my 2.7 and it refused to work.  Making it detect what tiles are where and placing furniture via scripted items I belive would be easy.  You could do wall paper and carpet like Animal crossing too :D