Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lets make a tileset!

AdrianC

@DDuИ༐t:

> I did it from scratch -.-'

um I don't see your point. You need to make a different texture. That just looks like stone that belongs on the ground.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Unlike other aspects of a game, I don't think you can really collaborate on a tileset. You can have 10 people build a house, but not 10 people paint one painting. The script database works because there's a set of rules for making a script work. Art is different. You can't have 5 people draw things then slap them together. The maps made with these, while not bad, commit the awful sin of "tileset mixing" that we flame to death over in the mapping board. All the tiles are pretty nice, but only when viewed within their own set.

@Xeross:

> Or someone that would recolor/partially redo them so they all are 1 style, it would be even more awesome.

Indeed.

@Ballie:

> Unlike other aspects of a game, I don't think you can really collaborate on a tileset. You can have 10 people build a house, but not 10 people paint one painting. The script database works because there's a set of rules for making a script work. Art is different. You can't have 5 people draw things then slap them together. The maps made with these, while not bad, commit the awful sin of "tileset mixing" that we flame to death over in the mapping board. All the tiles are pretty nice, but only when viewed within their own set.
>
> Indeed.

Agreed. Can't do a decent tileset when 50 people without experience in team work, varied skill or tallent level and random ideas. Working on graphics in teams is something that proffesionals tend to do - making a decent tileset in indie gaming by more than 3 people is rare and hard.

Sorry to say it - more than one person pixeling in the same style means all the poeple involved nead to have tasete, skill and tallent. And I think I could count people like that in Eclipse community not reaching the number "20".

@Ballie:

> It can be done, just not like this. "Add your custom tiles to this set" does not bode well. To truly make a collaborative set, you'll have to meet up (maybe on MSN) and discuss what style to go for, what palette to use, who will do what, etc.

That neads all colabotsnt to be able to follow the style - can't be achived by random people.

I know what you guys are saying, and its the same damn thing that has been repeated 1000 times.

I know its not the best tileset, and there are various styles mixed together, but I don't see any of you coming up with anything better, so whatev.

Also, lol, I see they let you back in Kreator.