Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where has this forums community went?

Kajamaz

I log in, and see that most of the posts i made a day ago, haven't been replyed to… i am shocked, is this community dieing?

WHY!

I've looked at other posts... the debate section hasnt had a post since june 30th, thats over 18 days ago...

> I guess they didnt like the fact Marsh sold this site and that new version wont be open sourced, but idk.

Dayum, i miss this community, hope it grows back, eventhough i dont like JC so far… the closed source thing stinks, and when i made a post on how bad the price was, and how 60$ IS WAYY OVER THE TOP, he or who ever on these forums deleted my post....

> It left because of a poor decision made by the new administration. They should've prepared and thought it over more before revealing it.

Marsh had asked everyone to keep it quiet until it happened. So blaming it on the current owner is simply rude.

> Marsh had asked everyone to keep it quiet until it happened. So blaming it on the current owner is simply rude.

I'm just saying it could've been completely avoided. Not everyone wants a closed-source engine, and only those that don't want to build their own engine would buy EO 4.0\. Basically, not enough hope was set on the new administration, so they left to make their own community. If this new administration would of done a better job, they wouldn't of left.

> I'm just saying it could've been completely avoided. Not everyone wants a closed-source engine, and only those that don't want to build their own engine would buy EO 4.0\. Basically, not enough hope was set on the new administration, so they left to make their own community. If this new administration would of done a better job, they wouldn't of left.

What is this new community, i wanna see :o

I don't hate JC either, but don't fix it if it aint broken, Marsh was an alright admin.

The thing that most people (including me) hate the most is the closed source, with the open source people who could programm made awesome things, which attracted people who don't wanna learn programming and just want to make a game.

Making it closed source 'scared' off the programmers and that means less good games and less attracting of people who don't wanna learn programming.

> Indie Hub looks nice :)

why not both you get as much of the old community as possible

the only reason i still come on this site is some people didn't leave and its nice to see what everyone's doing

> why not both you get as much of the old community as possible
>
> the only reason i still come on this site is some people didn't leave and its nice to see what everyone's doing

weindie has like 10 members…. and it looks far worse...

• 4 weeks later...
Well, the community has gotten older, many of the core members who were in high school are in college, graduated, or otherwise involved in the "real world". So over time a decline of participation was inevitable.

I think also Eclipse, in itself as a game creation tool, has become increasingly irrelevant over time. Even in Eclipse's heyday, VB6 was an outdated language, and the trend of consumer computing to more mobile and tablet devices requires much more cross-platform and portability than it can provide. Atleast by the time of EO, it being open source, still allowed it to be used as a learning tool for people to take and build off of. I think this potential was the only thing keeping EO afloat, as it wasn't feature-rich enough standalone to be a productive game creation kit.

Not to offend the current developers (I'm not even sure who they are), but I just don't see Eclipse being a viable game creation tool out of the box. Especially if it's closed source. If it's being rewritten from scratch in a more versatile portable language, it's possible in the future it could be, but that takes a lot of time, time Eclipse doesn't have when there are plenty of other options availible for would-be game creation hobbyists out there.

One of the nails in the coffin was the selling by Marsh, as for some people, they've dropped Eclipse directly as their creation tools even by the time of EO, and was still around Eclipse for the old community; but the recent "retirement" of Marsh was a big detraction from that group as well, as between their advancing real lives, the change here in the community gives a feeling that there isn't much left for them here, except for an occasionally callback to see if others are still around.

The members who signed up for these forums were looking for an Open Source game engine community to help them learn to program and develop games on their own. Because that aspect of the forum is gone with the new closed source engine being released (and it costing money) there's really no point in most people staying.