Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dawn of Light Graphics 4-17-2009

Vortigem

I'm back to work on Dawn of Light's art once again. Just recently I completed the dirt tiles and decided to throw together a quick example map of my tile set in use.

![](http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/841/showandtell.png)

The light grass is also new.

Thoughts so far?

@[SB:

> Rithy58 link=topic=42820.msg428788#msg428788 date=1240001519]
> A little dark but okay.
> The sprites and tiles went together really well and they're really good.
>
> Sincerely,
> Rithy

The darker colors are intended, as DoL is being geared towards a dark, mature atmosphere. (which is very difficult to do in MS Paint hehe)

@[ILLI:

> BlahBlah[DDunit] link=topic=42820.msg428792#msg428792 date=1240002019]
> That tree looks squashed, same thing with the stump, apart from that it's VERY good

Could you better describe the squash? I'm not quite sure I'm seeing it as 'squashed'.

@[SB:

> [UK?] Gizmo link=topic=42820.msg429161#msg429161 date=1240044539]
> They look awsome, I really like how there alot smaller than normal graphics. They give more room for stuff to do.

Exactly! Now take into consideration that DoL will be using scrolling maps. Not only will I have plenty of room to work with for creating lush environments, but the more room I have to work with, the more room players have to play, and more room for players means more room for large scale raids & territorial conflicts between players.

Booyah.

Nicely done Vort, You know I've been quietly hoping you were still working on this when you had that big leave. XD These graphics are awesome man, but same advice about the tree trunk, a little wide considering the size of the buildings next to it ;)

@Ghost:

> oh one other small thing, move the bushes down a few pixels because they look like they're ultra close to the wall and it makes it look like the tree is paper thin

Meh, IMO it looks as though its a small, creeping hedge, It looks great the way it is.

@Hippoman:

> great.
>
> 8/10

@Crimson:

> 8/10
>
> It's good to see people developing their own tiles.

I appreciate your willingness to rate my work, but this is just a development thread. Nothing is complete yet.

I'm looking more for constructive criticism or suggestions on improving details.

I do agree that the fat tree needs work. As a matter of fact I'm still working on trees and could use some suggestions on improving them.

![](http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/841/showandtell.png)

Above is an image of a new base tree I'm working on. I'm fairly content with the trunk, however I cant seem to get the tree top/leaves to connect well with the trunk.

Further more, I still have to add shadow/shading and I'm not sure if the tree has been drawn at the proper angle for DoL.

Grrr I hate doing trees more than anything. Any suggestions?

@V-Rage:

> yay DoL is back!

Damn straight V-Rage :icon_beer:

@omegas7:

> You use MS paint? They look awesome!

Thanks mate ;)

Alright, here is an update. I added Tall Grass to the base of some trees and the houses to try giving the tiles a better blend. I also re-drew the trees however I'm still not satisfied with them and considering how I can re-work them.

Further more I also completed a well and flag(s). (the flags will be used to mark which faction of players own specific towns, castles etc.)

![](http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6590/newimage1y.png)