Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Digital Economy Act 2010

Robin

Well they finally bloody passed it.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Economy_Act_2010](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Economy_Act_2010)

As a British citizen I'm obviously very upset with such a flawed act being passed and I'll be doing what us British do best; Writing an angry letter to my elected MP.

Even if you're not British you should all be worried about this kind of act being passed. It sets a worrying precedent.

I fully support the Liberal Democrats stating that the act needs to come under further scrutiny, especially Clause 18.

Personally I'll not longer be using P2P sharing simply because of the fact that the Government now has the power to disconnect a family if they believe that they are sharing copyrighted files and that the household needs to _pay to appeal._

Here's a song which puts across my own feelings towards this brilliantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_P4lJD_OPI

There's no way the Government can get away with passing this without the appropriate scrutiny. There's just too many people affected by it.

I'll be voting for the first time this year and I'll be going Lib Dem. What that'll probably mean, however, is me setting up a hung parliament and the chances are that'll mean Lib Dem and Labour teaming up.

God I hate Gordon.

That song is pretty epic, though the law was passed are they actually going to enforce it? it may just be a scare tactic. Hopefully it wont actually come into effect though there is a damn good chance it will unfortunately.

Absolutly disgusting. I was really hoping it wouldn't get passed - I don't pirate often but still.

I mean, what about if only one person in the family pirates? They're saying that they will cut off the whole internet connection for everyone? What if someone is able ot connect to the familys home and pirate off thier internet then dissappear with the reports on their connection. They're internet will be shut off for something they will most likely never have done. Dreadful.

At least Liberal said they would get rid of it if they were elected and Conservitives might - abit confusing about it though.

Note to self: When in England, don't torrent in friends house.

I must say, that this is quite retarded. However, since you brits did it first, the rest of the world can see you all riot against it, thus allowing our governments to learn to very do such a thing to their citizens. ;D

- Adulese

PS: I hope …

I'm shocked companies don't already do that. Either way My room mate and I were discussing this exact issue yesterday. I don't get what the big hubbub is? I mean reality the companies are just hurting themselves by lobbying for stronger laws against pirating. I mean for the love of pie I ~~pirate more~~ buy more CDs because of the laws against it.

Well…Comcast did something before, too. They limited the upload speed of P2P so low that it is almost the same as blocking it. But the funny thing is, downloading P2P work fine. I don't know if their ToS says anything about pirating. Someone should check for me.

But anyway, FTC(or FCC, idk) did sue Comcast for limiting(blocking) P2P because they said P2P is freedom of speech of something...idk. What It look like to me is, Comcast say yes to download but no upload(waste their bandwidth) then FTC(or FCC) say yes upload. I think FTC(or FCC) should really say no down or upload P2P. But that'll cause some chaos here.

I honestly don't P2P any games or video or music. I P2P a few things but I usually delete it. If it's a game, I P2P it so I can try it then I buy it after. Beside, pirated game doesn't allow online game play.

So basically, I don't mind a law to protect copyright materials but I don't want it to be too strict.

Sincerely,
Rithy

Got a reply from my conservative MP.

If you can't be bothered writing something yourself, just use this:

[http://www.openrightsgroup.org/](http://www.openrightsgroup.org/)

It'll send them out to your local MPs for you.

> Dear Mr Perris
>
> Thank you for your email.
>
> I very much agree with you about this issue and in the last Parliament I did sign an EDM tabled by Tom Watson criticising these proposals which I hope reassures you of my views on this issue.
>
> In the last Parliament I served on the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee and I am sure the new Committee will want to look at this issue at the earliest opportunity.  If elected I wish to continue on that Select Committee.
>
> Naturally I will attend Eric's meeting if I am able to attend.
>
> I hope this reassures you of my views on this issue but if you feel that I can be of any further help with anything at all please let me know.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Philip Davies
> Conservative Candidate for the Shipley Constituency
>
> > Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:27:04 -0400
> > From: > To: > Subject: Will you oppose the use of disconnection and web blocking powers?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Mr Philip Davies
> > Shipley
> > Conservative Prospective Parliamentary Candidate
> >
> >
> > Dear Mr Davies,
> >
> > The Digital Economy Act was rammed through Parliament as the election was called. Over 20,000 people contacted their MP to complain, adverts were paid for by donations, and thousands of people watched the debate live from Westminster.
> >
> > I was appalled by this process. It seemed to me undemocratic and dangerous. Now, new powers have been granted without really understanding the consequences.
> >
> > I do not think that disconnection – for whatever length of time – should be used as a punishment for allegations of civil copyright infringements. There is no justification for interfering in someone's ability to communicate because of a civil dispute. Such disputes require financial recompense, not wide ranging arbitrary punishments. It is also wrong to put forward punishments that will be inflicted on everyone in a household, not just the allegedly guilty person.
> >
> > The decision on these powers will be made through a "super affirmative" process. If elected, you would have to decide whether to approve these powers. Would you oppose the use of disconnection or other interference in people's communications?
> >
> > I am also against new website blocking powers that may be introduced after the election. Powers already exist for copyright holders to do this through court orders, but they have so far refused to use this course of action to solve their problems. Why should new powers be introduced?
> >
> > This will affect my choice of candidate. This is a matter of principle for me. Either my candidates are willing to stand up for principles I believe in, or they are not. Please let me know if you will stand up against this Act if you are elected.
> >
> > I would also be very reassured to hear that you would as my MP try to attend Eric Joyce's parliamentary meeting on this topic, which he intends to organise if elected.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Robin Perris

Sup guys? I just watched "V for vendetta". Was a cool movie. Best part was the british government going all nazi.

Passing an act that aproves collective responsibility, in a democratic, civilised world. Good job.