Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Main screen for vikings

zade_o

![](http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3387/animatedmainmenus.gif)

just wanted to show the main screen. I did all the art from scratch. Everything other than the symbols and the fonts are my own work.

comments and critique are welcome

>Vikings
>Horned Helmets
>my face
![](http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/annacomnena/silly/reactions/kagami-surprised.jpg)

The font text in the second label is really good though, and except for the fact of the horned helmet I think the style and form of the background image is very neat.
:)

(Protip: Vikings didn't have horned helmets)

I know that it's not completely true. Although I'm sure some of them had a few horned helmets… but anna you can't fight traditional icons! lol.

if it makes you feel any better, pretty much the only horned helmets will be god items because you pretty much have to collect all the materials for any normal armor.

I feel like I need to make the viking smaller so it doesn't look so cartoony-ish so in the process I may take off his horns lol.

And thanks everyone!

@Ghost:

> I know that it's not completely true. Although I'm sure some of them had a few horned helmets… but anna you can't fight traditional icons! lol.

No. None, I say none of them had horned helmet. For more then a few reasons. >:C

Well, I can say you're wrong because some priests of odin had horned helmets where the horns were carved into ravens. But in regards to the helmets with pointy horns, I will consider sticking to pure fact since i am going for a more realistic game

I like the older one better except for the horns. It just had more washed out abstract styling to it that was interesting. Also the cloud background was good, much better than the vista.

Actually go with the horns, I was really just razzing you and don't care that much about it.

Seconded on that. I like the first better. As another note, the whole thing seems rather big, in my opinion. You only have 2 buttons and a title, which take up about 1/4 of the space. Consider making the background an actual background. Tone it down a bit more, and place the buttons over top the image, rather than out to the side. It's just a thought, though. Might be worth at least a try to see how it turns out.

well I'm not working on eclipse so the main menu only has those options.

I am having a hard time deciding on the composition though.

At first I couldn't decide between this pose, or an axe stuck in the ground, or a close up of half of a vikings face. I'll post an image in a few that'll switch between different versions of this one and I'll get some more feedback about it.

EDIT-
Ok there's the 4 versions of this. Also, in the 3rd and 4th versions, I can easily fix the clouds to look like the 1st version if that's the only criticism now. I tried to make it more abstract. Also I was thinking about animating the cloud background and adding an animated layer of fog ontop of the character but behind the Buttons and Title

Well the first one was good because the figure was large enough to fill the space that didn't have active options. It was also pertinent to the subject matter of the game, and the background evoked more of a powerful theme to it (with the stormy heavens as a backdrop rather than the generic vista). With the mock oil-paint abstractions of everything add a great bit of style to the whole thing, and the second font set with the designs is really good.

One thing I never had the talent for was doing such graphic design like that sort of stuff. Basics I could do but for interesting blends and composites of different visual styles is too much for me.
:icon_alabanza:

I think the guy being so close up in the first one just makes it look too outgoing…idk the word, but I just don't like it. I do like the clouds from the first one, I just forgot to change them back when I did 3 and 4\. The added mountain silhouettes, to me, helps fill in some of the blank space. I can't decide if I like the title/buttons overtop of the guy or off to the side.  I liked off to the side originally because 1) it doesn't cover the art and 2) it' not as strict to symmetry and whatnot. Thoughts on that?

I think the way you put it sounds good kin, cleaner. The old one looks sloppy to me. I'm not really using an engine. I'm just writing my whole game from scratch in java

The thing I don't like about the mountain skyline background is the one with the warrior on the clifftop with nothing but the stormy sky behind him, made it look like he was literally on top of the world. That's where it got that sense of power I was getting from it, I think. Is it a mere mortal reaching up near the heavens through their own will and might? One of the gods come down to our lowly plane of existance?

With the mountain vista behind it, it's just some guy on a rock.