Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse possibly goes 3D?

Polyen

You will have to design your own engine and considering all the other 3d engines out there this probably wont ever happen. The reason eclipse is popular is because it is such a quality 2d engine. The 3d engine would have to be pretty good to attract the attention from other engines.

Why on earth would you want to make another BS 3d MMO?
1\. It'd be very slow. Eclipse isn't very fast to begin with, so throwing in textures for the poor lil' engine to render will significantly drop the FPS and blow up the memory useage.
2\. 2d is way better and in theory, more original. 3d games aren't really "three dimensional," but only made to seem 3d. They're still 2d but with fugly polygons (see N64 and recent DS games for reference).

There are so many excellent fully advanced open source 3d engines with massive communities… it would be a hard start.. you would be behind the 8-ball constantly with the way things are advancing. You are probably better off getting into Torque or something thats current and has a great support base. Regardless of what language you do it in.. then again there are some super fast super smart coders out there, who knows.. it would be good to see a user friendly 3d mmorpg engine that looks current.. realm crafter looks like a dogs breakfast now.

I don't want to see Eclipse go 3D. EVER.

What drew me to this community was the fact that it's all about 2D gaming, the best way to experience mmo's imo. It would ruin the vibe and the general feel of what we have going here if a 3D version of the engine was offered. 2D is the best and I love things just the way they are here.

Keep doin' what you're doin' Eclipse devs!

There are two things,

One,
Most people using the engine are in their teens, and usually their skills in the area of modeling and skinning are very low, and mostly they have no idea. Which raises the point, what is the point of making  an engine that cant be used by the majority of people because they lack the skills to create the resources required to make the most basic of games?

Two,
The community is not ready for a 3D engine, and nor are its currant members, go read the questions board, they are having trouble with basic 2D things, when they hit 3D they are going to crash, burn and do it over and over again.

My input.

@Pasketi:

> I guess you can do a game with blender, but MMORPG? I don't think so…
>
> Off-topic:
> And Devo, last time I checked, you left eclipse, am I right? You sent an e-mail to everyone in your forums that you did...

So what? last time i checked you were a wanker.

@NGHS:

> The community is not ready for a 3D engine, and nor are its currant members, go read the questions board, they are having trouble with basic 2D things, when they hit 3D they are going to crash, burn and do it over and over again.

I couldnt agree more.

So for this subject… I am going to have to quote Robin.
@Robin:

> No.

You lot can't even understand how to do basic 5-minute edits to EO. How would you possibly create a 3D online game?

Personally I don't want to make a 3D online game. The reason I work on EO is to make a retro-styled ORPG. I can do that just fine with DD7.

@Polyen:

> Does anyone know if Eclipse will ever go 3D? Because that would be interesting to see from Eclipse maybe if people donate to get scripters and whatever it takes to make the engine happen?

Solar Eclipse is 3D, but that's the only future project that will consider supporting 3D to some extent. Generally, 3D can't be made user-friendly and neither can game development. If you want 3D, you should really be programming it yourself.

@crzyone9584:

> To my knowledge, which is limited in 3-d, vb6 and vb.net are not well mixed with 3-d. now Eclipse++ which a C++ edit may be able to work with 3-d. Other than that I don't think the original Eclipse would ever be able to be 3-d for its in vb6.

Eclipse++ is written from scratch in C++**.net**, meaning that it is written in a language that isn't capable of doing 3D properly. Best way to use 3D is through C and OpenGL (and Direct3D because OpenGL is made to be suckier than Direct3D on Windows).

@Keebler:

> You will have to design your own engine and considering all the other 3d engines out there this probably wont ever happen. The reason eclipse is popular is because it is such a quality 2d engine. The 3d engine would have to be pretty good to attract the attention from other engines.

Most other crap on the internet shouldn't even exist. If you're talking about Quake, Unreal, etc. then I agree, otherwise I'd say: avoid those engines and avoid joining the club.

@Mikekan13:

> vb6 can do 3d although if you are going to spend the time to do all that then you might as well write it in C++

It's better to use C, since OpenGL is C oriented. And yes, VB6 can do 3D, but .net and Java can't do SIMD, which is a requisité for 3D.

@Devo:

> There are so many excellent fully advanced open source 3d engines with massive communities… it would be a hard start.. you would be behind the 8-ball constantly with the way things are advancing. You are probably better off getting into Torque or something thats current and has a great support base. Regardless of what language you do it in.. then again there are some super fast super smart coders out there, who knows.. it would be good to see a user friendly 3d mmorpg engine that looks current.. realm crafter looks like a dogs breakfast now.

Nobody will ever waste their time creating a 3D MMORPG engine because it's not doable. Making your own 3D MMORPG, however, is.

@NGHS:

> There are two things,
>
> One,
> Most people using the engine are in their teens, and usually their skills in the area of modeling and skinning are very low, and mostly they have no idea. Which raises the point, what is the point of making  an engine that cant be used by the majority of people because they lack the skills to create the resources required to make the most basic of games?

Which also means that if they are capable of making models, they'll generally do it wrong because they have too many polygons which will slow down the engine a lot.

@NGHS:

> Two,
> The community is not ready for a 3D engine, and nor are its currant members, go read the questions board, they are having trouble with basic 2D things, when they hit 3D they are going to crash, burn and do it over and over again.
>
> My input.

No community is, only decent game developers are.

tl;dr: don't think about 3D, it ruined some good companies.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Devo:

> @Pasketi:
>
> > I guess you can do a game with blender, but MMORPG? I don't think so…
> >
> > Off-topic:
> > And Devo, last time I checked, you left eclipse, am I right? You sent an e-mail to everyone in your forums that you did...
>
> So what? last time I checked you were a wanker.

To be honest, I lol'd at that… :D

Anyways...

@Sage:

> I don't want to see Eclipse go 3D. EVER.
>
> What drew me to this community was the fact that it's all about 2D gaming, the best way to experience mmo's imo. It would ruin the vibe and the general feel of what we have going here if a 3D version of the engine was offered. 2D is the best and I love things just the way they are here.
>
> Keep doin' what you're doin' Eclipse devs!

Agreed.