Find results in...

Eclipse Origins.Net

jcsnider

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Azure:

> Not to backseat mod, but shouldn't this thread discussion involve talk about the engine rewrite?  ;D Speaking of that, have you actually sat down and made any changes or did you give up when it came time for testing and fixing?

well I just thought I might lighten the mood or change topic for a bit, I mean after all, he is under some pressure from impatient people :)

Someone I know brought up a good point… Jscinder you need to redo all the client and server processing because if it is in terms multi-threaded, it will put more stress on the first thread. So this .NET server will not be very much better than Robin's VB6 server.

All I'm saying is that this will give easy multi-platform support for EO, something no eclipse engine I know of has.  (Besides Solar Eclipse, which isn't out yet)

mono Client.exe

simple as that.

However, your right, for the Client or anything to run more efficiently you would have to add multithreading or something.  This port is mainly so people who want to add features such as that can just add it, without re-writing the client and server.  At least that what I gathered.

@Jeff:

> why isn't there a download link?  I thought there was earlier, and the progress is done… someone enlighten me?

there is a lot done, but it's not finished. He's in alpha testing now I believe. We're all waiting on an update or something, even for it to be completed, but he's a one man team so just sit back and relax  :icon_beer:, it'll be out when it's out  ;D

@Pinkeye:

> Tired of waiting for EO.NET?
> Solution: Take a chill-pill!

Solution: Eat raw rabbit, according to a consumer review to Fresh Whole Rabbit, it causes Protein Poisoning, which is the best way to disconnect you from the universe.

>! > 22 of 33 people found the following review helpful:
> 3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for protein poisoning, November 5, 2009
> By Samuel Horwitz "wacky" (Philadelphia, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
> (REAL NAME)    This review is from: Fresh Whole Rabbit (Misc.)
> I understand that most of the reviews are fake and I would like to say that while I find them all very enjoyable and humorous, there is a something that a real customer of this product feels should be known.
>
> I purchased 10 of the rabbits for the purpose of making hare jerky (a tasty treat) when I was overcome with the desire to indulge in a bit of rabbit meat before the smoking process. Giving into my guilty urges, I took one rabbit for my own personal pre-jerky consumption and proceeded to eat the entire animal whole (I do not own a stove, only a plastic box and some firewood for smoking things, hence it was uncooked). After my little personal rabbit fiesta, I laid down to digest the food.
>
> This was a mistake. Within two hours, I had never felt worse. I used the trusty search engine "Bing" to do some armchair medical research while clutching a trashcan in the most horrendous gastric distress you can imagine (I do not have health insurance so I did not call the hospital). Quickly, I found out that a side effect to eating rabbit was "protein poisoning," a situation that arises when lean meat is eaten. It is also known as "rabbit starvation" because rabbit meat contains almost no fat whatsoever. Apparently, consumption of large amounts of protein with little or no carbohydrates or fat is dangerous. Well you imagine how much that tickled me angry. All ready to write an angry letter of protest to the rabbit meat industry about their marketing of a dangerous foodstuff, I stumbled to my writing desk but alas, I only made it 3 feet before collapsing in pain. The next 5 hours were like a blur as I lay on the floor writhing in my own waste seeing people and things from the past and quite possibly the future. I have experimented with drugs back in the day and let me tell you, nothing came as close to disconnecting me from the universe in the worst way possible, as this. No one ever wants to experience protein poisoning, I promise you.
>
> At about 10 in the evening I came to and used a chair and the wall to help pull myself off of the floor. I still felt sick and I went back to my computer to see if there was a cure. Suddenly it hit me, I needed to eat other macronutrients! I remembered the tub of lard I had been saving in the fridge and stumbled across my apartment. The pain only grew worse. I remembered reading that bodybuilders eat lots of protein. I have no idea how they do it. It must be horrible for them. My vegan friend has always said that anything over 20 grams of a protein a day is overkill and I'm inclined to believe him now. He is the healthiest person I know, he is very skinny but he doesn't have visible muscle (which he says is the result of toxins and not enough body fat to properly survive). I finally reached my fridge and reached in for the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter container with my stockpiled lard. I quickly shoveled it into my mouth and wouldn't you believe it but it only made me feel worse! I passed out again, the cold air of the fridge blowing onto me.
>
> I awoke three days later (according to my watch) at 7 at night. The fridge had apparently preserved my body as it fought the proteins for the first night but now my electricity was off because my bill was due yesterday. It didn't matter, my body had apparently started to win the fight around 2 nights ago and now I am pretty much back to normal. However, I SINCERELY DO NOT RECOMMEND RABBIT MEAT as it can potentially kill you, as it nearly did me.
>
> Five stars - 1 for nearly killing me - 1 slightly chewy - 1 no head + 1 made great jerky = 3 stars

@314piwm:

> All I'm saying is that this will give easy multi-platform support for EO, something no eclipse engine I know of has.  (Besides Solar Eclipse, which isn't out yet)
>
> mono Client.exe
>
> simple as that.
>
> However, your right, for the Client or anything to run more efficiently you would have to add multithreading or something.  This port is mainly so people who want to add features such as that can just add it, without re-writing the client and server.  At least that what I gathered.

The design of mirage is terrible. So when people think EO.NET is going to be so much better, it won't be. It might even be worse. EO.NET is basically EO code that he made compatible with it. It still has all the restrictions as the original one on Visual Basic 6, except .NET 2010 is obviously faster at processing. It just won't be able to multi-thread unless he completely rewrites every sub and packet to fit multi-threading. This is why he should of just made the engine based off of EO not copying the code exactly how it was.

@Robin:

> @Helladen:
>
> > It still has all the restrictions as the original one on Visual Basic 6, except .NET 2010 is obviously faster at processing.
>
> ![](http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/Kite_Minase/Reaction/kagami-lol2.jpg)

;D

@314piwm:

> All I'm saying is that this will give easy multi-platform support for EO, something no eclipse engine I know of has.  (Besides Solar Eclipse, which isn't out yet)
>
> mono Client.exe
>
> simple as that.
>
> However, your right, for the Client or anything to run more efficiently you would have to add multithreading or something.  This port is mainly so people who want to add features such as that can just add it, without re-writing the client and server.  At least that what I gathered.

You actually think that the people who use Mac OS X or Linux actually have Mono installed? There is actually a reason why Linux and Mac OS X software are written in C, C++ and ObjC.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Lightning:

> @Robin:
>
> > @Helladen:
> >
> > > It still has all the restrictions as the original one on Visual Basic 6, except .NET 2010 is obviously faster at processing.
> >
> > ![](http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/Kite_Minase/Reaction/kagami-lol2.jpg)
>
> ;D

It was 1.035 slower than VB6 in 2003\. I'm definitely sure Mircosoft has made it better since then. (So it was barely slower with a much larger library)

@Stephan:

> You actually think that the people who use Mac OS X or Linux actually have Mono installed? There is actually a reason why Linux and Mac OS X software are written in C, C++ and ObjC.
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

I'm just saying you can, if you really wanted to.