Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New website & forum

Robin

It really does feel like it's Robin's site now though, what with Origins at the top and his name on the dumb integration bar on the bottom.
Feels professional but unwelcoming. I'd love to see the old forum return, I'm not sure where the problems were that we needed to go away from it.
Also, this shade of green. DO NOT WANT.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Thorn:

> It really does feel like it's Robin's site now though, what with Origins at the top and his name on the dumb integration bar on the bottom.
> Feels professional but unwelcoming. I'd love to see the old forum return, I'm not sure where the problems were that we needed to go away from it.
> Also, this shade of green. DO NOT WANT.

We've already discussed the logo in Admin Zone, it's going.

The old forums (in addition to running on RC3 rather than RC4), had too many boards, most inactive. The chat was used by 0.25% of the forum, and the arcade was used by .03%

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I agree arcade was useless. Good to hear that the banner is gonna change, too.
Still, we need more name colors I think. Easier to find specific people in the cloud of names. I don't honestly give a crap what my name color is, it's just helpful for seeing if certain people are online.

@Thorn:

> I agree arcade was useless. Good to hear that the banner is gonna change, too.
> Still, we need more name colors I think. Easier to find specific people in the cloud of names. I don't honestly give a crap what my name color is, it's just helpful for seeing if certain people are online.

Exactly. Honestly, I love this new theme but that's a must.

Honestly, I can't even sleep with you guys running around.

**@Team Robin;** It's simply a replacement of the 'Head Developer' group. I need to give my developers access to the site content threads so I'll be using it as an access group to the Site Content board. Also the huge usergroup icon was a joke. I asked Rory to design the usergroup icons and make one for us. He came out with that. Shame people can't have a laugh. It's called 'Team Robin' because that's exactly what it is. Who else wants to walk around in hot pink. ;)

**@Sidebar;** It's dreadful from a design perspective. You can't just give away 1/4 of the forum's width to something which appears briefly at the top of the page. We can easily get the same functionality from something that is spread out horizontally, just like the shoutbox. I actually prefer it greatly this way.

**@Draken;** Your old primary usergroup was a custom name colour whilst your mod powers came from a subgroup. When the name colour groups were removed your primary usergroup was changed to the a post-count group. You still had your mod powers but you just weren't blue. I've change your primary usergroup to mod for you.

**@Width;** Again another design decision. Only a small percentage of people have anything over 1280x1024 and the site runs just fine on that resolution. I tried it on my 1080p monitor and content was so dragged out it looked horrendous. From both a design and a functionality point of view we need to limit the width of the forum to a standard size so we can consistently deliver the same experience to all our users, regardless of how large their peni– monitor is.

**@Name colours;** Obviously temp. I said so before. I simply couldn't know what it would look like having such a huge amount of people running around with different coloured names. It was a huge mess before the change and it wasn't helped by the fact that we had some dark themes and some light themes. Huge amount of name colours just look… bad. I'll sort out the post-count groups, add a special one perhaps for people with 2k+ posts and maybe add a special contest winner group - but it'll only be one.

**@Thorn;** lolwut. Name one theme where the designer hasn't left a signature in the footer. I put a lot of effort in to this site, the theme and all the site's content. I think it's pretty fair of me to sign it. This isn't me 'taking over' Eclipse it's me getting recognition for me work.

**@Everyone;** You lot are bloody useless sometimes, honestly. The site has only just been installed. Of _course_ there are going to be some changes and of _course_ we're going to sort things out over the next few days. Learn to politely point out the problems you see without crying out that it's the end of the blasted world. The old forum and site was ugly. That's a fact. It's going to take you a while to get used to the new place I'm sure, but learn to stop being so melodramatic. It's boring.

Sorry, I was kinda in a weird mood earlier today, and being a little more pissy than I should have. I actually see what you mean in regards to the sidebar taking up 1/4 of the screen for something only at the top. I'm not trying to say this in a sarcastic way or anything, but I'm guessing there are already plans for the side columns then?
I'm in a good mood now, trying to take a fresh look at things.

@Thorn:

> Sorry, I was kinda in a weird mood earlier today, and being a little more pissy than I should have. I actually see what you mean in regards to the sidebar taking up 1/4 of the screen for something only at the top. I'm not trying to say this in a sarcastic way or anything, but I'm guessing there are already plans for the side columns then?
> I'm in a good mood now, trying to take a fresh look at things.

I'll be zoning in all the features people miss. I want to stay away from a side-bar and I believe I can add in all those old features without having to re-design the entire forum. Hell, the chatbox is a good example of that, I think. It's much more functional how it is now.

I'll be adding them in one by one and making decisions on a case-by-case basis. I believe I can make them work much better than they did before. I don't think I'm alone when I say that the huge mess of add-ons didn't work from a design perspective.