Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Official] Eclipse.NET

JeffSventora

@JeffSventora:

> Oh no no, you got the wrong impression. This is a demo showing a map made with Mirage.NET being rendered properly on an Xbox 360 console just to kind of showcase the program's portability.

I know that maps can be shown on the Xbox, but what purpose is it to show portability if there's no use for it on the Xbox?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@JeffSventora:

> No use? What if Person A wants to make a game on Xbox, Person B wants to make a game on his PC and Person C wants to make a game on his Mac?

I don't believe xbox live supports the ability to use a client/server architecture. So I think person A would be out of luck.

**Update**
The map editor has been updated again. Now, when you select multiple tiles, you can draw the congruent to each other without overwriting other tiles. What I mean is, if you select a 64x64 block of tiles, you can only place them on the map in a 64x64 sequence. In addition, you can also fill the map with a tile selection.

Work on the item editor is coming along nicely. As I stated before, here is how they work. In order to create items, you need to create an item index. An item index is literally a list of items. Think of the index as being a tag to separate items into groups. When you export the items, it will create a folder (which you specify) and it will dump all of the data into that folder. That folder can hold numerous item indices so you don't need to have them scattered all over the place. If you didn't really understand what I just said, well I guess you can wait until you get your hands on the software to understand it more clearly.

Map editor works great. :) The only thing you could look into that the "clear current layer" button could easely be clicked accidently. Maybe an undo button would be good to add?

I also found a small glitch:
If you make the map name very long. (I made it that long that it doesn't even fit in a map of 25 by 15) And you try to put a tile on the letters at the right side of the map, that part of the text goes away. At the left part of the map the letters will just stay.
Also I noticed a map can't be smaller than 25 by 15, but I think it's not supposed to be smaller right?

• 5 months later...
It's not a "remake". A remake would mean that I'm essentially migrating from one syntax to another. What I'm doing is 100% from scratch with a completely different coding philosophy. I mean if you think about it, the .NET framework isn't going anywhere anytime soon, 4.5/5.0 is already getting ready to be shipped with Windows 8\. So what's really pointless, an engine using an unsupported framework or the newer modern version.

By all means, Eclipse won't die anytime soon and I'll probably never see more users than Eclipse but the sad fact is, of the many years I've been around the Mirage scene, there's only been one successful attempt at a modern migration and that's NetGore, I'd like to join the club :p

Maybe as development progresses, this won't seem as pointless to you. Thanks for the support!

I'm not putting you down, its just the name kind of threw me off. If this is going to be done in a different style from Mirage. Why not break the bonds and give it a name that is unique?

The current name "Mirage.Net" really hints that it uses the same logic as the mirage series of engines. And will most likely throw more people off in the future.

+1 to you man, I'm glad to see someone finally branching out.

@JeffSventora:

> You're right, I guess I should :p I just thought it was an appropriate name to catch attention around these parts of the interwebs lol. I appreciate it, the more I know people like it the more it will keep me motivated to work on it :p

Sure man, its your project so you should decide the name. Of course mirage does spark a bit more attention, but it may not always be _**good**_ attention. A engine should be about the quality rather then the name, i never really got the fuss about names.

I'm going to look into this engine, i don't know a hell of alot about .net framework and such. But I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to figure out.

@General:

> Sure man, its your project so you should decide the name. Of course mirage does spark a bit more attention, but it may not always be _**good**_ attention. A engine should be about the quality rather then the name, i never really got the fuss about names.
>
> I'm going to look into this engine, i don't know a hell of alot about .net framework and such. But I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Well as soon as I release the source code, you'll see just how easy working with the engine can be :)

@crzy:

> Nope i don't i go off of what he has said on mirage xna website which was that he was working on a different project and what not….

MirageXNA basically died and also was not my project. I did post about Mirage.NET there but I haven't really been on the website recently to  post updates.

Wow tottally didnt realize that one was .net and one was xna. just figured it was all the same… And Yea I know its dead. Thats why i ripped everything apart kept the mapping nad the networking and now im replacing everything else.

Be nice to see yours though.

Yup he was… If i finish what i've been working on i'll release it there. for its still based off mirage xna. Just highly modified!

and by that i mean it has no relation to mirage xna except how maps, networking and editors work...

everything else is complete re(write)