Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Australia investigates - American stupidity?

Bonk

Seriously, not knowing where something is when you've just said it is not jusy being put on the spot, it's sheer stupidity. They didn't even know where the Berlin Wall was, for God's sake. I mean, how idiotic is that? They all just want to invade everywhere withput even knowing it's political beliefs, religion, or even where it is.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully understand your point, but if someone says "Where was the Berlin Wall?" you say Berlin. If your brain is so slow that you can't remember where KFC comes from, I'm afraid you won't get anywhere in life. Despite the fact that these people are, in your opinion, in some kind of hot-seat, he had time to think. Between being asked and saying "I don't know" He said erm a few times and managed to ask "What, the chicken?". Thinking time enough, methinks.

I'm sorry, but claiming this comes down to people feeling pressured by the camera is just plain stupid. We get tens of thousands of people who are put on television every day around the world. Hell, the BBC bring random people in to talk all the time. I've yet to see a single one of them screw up on a random question so badly that it could be likened to them not knowing where KFC is from.

People on the other side of the _world_ know where KFC is from. **It's in the name.** If it really isn't common to know the full name of Kentucky Fried Chicken in the States then I'd be more worried about the fact that your own citizens know less about your brand names than little kids in China.

@Robin:

> People on the other side of the _world_ know where KFC is from. **It's in the name.** If it really isn't common to know the full name of Kentucky Fried Chicken in the States then I'd be more worried about the fact that your own citizens know less about your brand names than little kids in China.

Doesn't mean he's stupid. It's probably something that never occurred to him.

Recalling information can certainly provide the informer with much insecurity; providing the incorrect information will, more times than ever, result in embarrassment.

–OR, he might very well be stupid. I am just accounting for the others that looked nervous on-camera; I know how they feel.

You really need to stop raping punctuation like that.

You've got to keep in mind that they'll have asked tons of people these questions and plenty of them will have gotten it right. They cut those out and left us with a purposefully warped perspective on the intelligence of an average American.

Trying to rationalise it is just silly. Most people are just stupid, regardless of country.

@Robin:

> You've got to keep in mind that they'll have asked tons of people these questions and plenty of them will have gotten it right. They cut those out and left us with a purposefully warped perspective on the intelligence of an average American.
>
> Trying to rationalise it is just silly. Most people are just stupid, regardless of country.

Exactly, Robin. America gets crap for being stupid because of these purposefully edited videos. I just posted it because it was funny.

America's stereotyped because of George Bush (Prime example), the fact they're always in the media and that quite a lot of us Brits don't like what they did to our language. There's also people like the Westboro Baptist Church and Southern rednecks, who we put on TV because we find them hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZaCiP2_2RM
**"And awn the therd daiy, Gawd created the Reminton Bull Acshon Raiffle. So mayn cud faight tha dighnosawrs. And the ho-mo-secksooals. Aiimen."**

I can seriously believe that the World is full to the brim with stupidity. Amur'ca just gets the most publicity.

@Robin:

> You really need to stop raping punctuation like that.

Why don't you mind your own business? Does it honestly bother you that much that I like to use my punctuation?

@Robin:

> You've got to keep in mind that they'll have asked tons of people these questions and plenty of them will have gotten it right. They cut those out and left us with a purposefully warped perspective on the intelligence of an average American.
>
> Trying to rationalise it is just silly. Most people are just stupid, regardless of country.

I do understand that it was warped.

I also can account for the type of people that get nervous when on camera/interviewed.

Punctuation doesn't exist.

And no, camera does not have the fabled effect of turning your mind into jelly. If you have enough brainpower to process that Berlin Wall was in Berlin, you can spit it out in front of one of those technical marvels. Unless you're interviewing some hillbilly yokel.

They should tell them that Berlin Wall was in Berlin if they get it wrong, and the next question should be "Now, where's Eiffel Tower?"

As for purposefully edited videos. Yes, they are purposefully edited. Internet however is not purposefully edited only to make fun out of Americans - and the loudest of them are always the stupid ones.

@Alexander:

> Why don't you mind your own business? Does it honestly bother you that much that I like to use my punctuation?

Considering you never used to until I started throwing around semi-colons and hyphens I assume you're trying to do the same. It actually makes reading your posts painful.

@Alexander:

> I also can account for the type of people that get nervous when on camera/interviewed.

Don't project yourself on to these people. Being nervous doesn't turn you in to an idiot. If you honestly can't explain where the Berlin Wall is when someone asks you on camera then you have a serious medical problem.

@Alexander:

> Because, you know, you're all well versed in the art of the _interview_…

I used to work for a product marketing company. My job was to be interviewed in front of dozens of people. I know enough.

Seriously? You never participated in a public poll? They never asked you who you voted for or what you think about something?

Well I can proudly say that when something like that happens to me I don't start acting like I have serious brain damage or like I have been smoking pot five times a day for the last ten years.

You are arguing for the sake of argument.

To be fair those questions are just ambiguous. There are two different Irelands both with different currencies. One uses the pound one uses the euro. We also have about 4 different flags, all of which are British. The flag they want to answer to is the 'Union Flag/Jack'. That has 3\. The flag of England and the flag of Scotland both have 2 colours. Calling something by the wrong name is just purposefully trying to confuse them.

If you seriously want to see some stupid English people then you should go watch footage of the London Riots or watch Jeremy Kyle.

Plus he's asking children. And they're Scottish.
Here's some stupid Brits from Jeremy Kyle. A 62 year old woman (and a hideous one at that) who strips in clubs. Bear in mid she gets her boobs out when she walks out, but there's a blur (And a long one, too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDtlTxY76bU

People come up to you and tell you things? What do they tell you?
"Ha ha ha! Yo mamma is a whore."

Bonk… that gramma is obviously demented. I don't think it has anything to do with people being stupid or not, it's like calling an infant stupid because it shits it's pants.

@Bonk:

> I fully understand your point, but if someone says "Where was the Berlin Wall?" you say Berlin. If your brain is so slow that you can't remember where KFC comes from, I'm afraid you won't get anywhere in life. Despite the fact that these people are, in your opinion, in some kind of hot-seat, he had time to think. Between being asked and saying "I don't know" He said erm a few times and managed to ask "What, the chicken?". Thinking time enough, methinks.

Hadrian's Wall isn't in Hadrian, as far as I know.

@Robin:

> Considering you never used to until I started throwing around semi-colons and hyphens I assume you're trying to do the same. It actually makes reading your posts painful.

Don't flatter yourself. I _honestly_ didn't notice. I _honestly_ don't care that much about you.

@Robin:

> Don't project yourself on to these people. Being nervous doesn't turn you in to an idiot. If you honestly can't explain where the Berlin Wall is when someone asks you on camera then you have a serious medical problem.

Don't project yourself onto the entire population. Saying that those that appear nervous on camera are actually stupid is no better than saying they are just genuinely nervous.

Don't make issues such as this one so black n' white. They aren't.

@Robin:

> I used to work for a product marketing company. My job was to be interviewed in front of dozens of people. I know enough.

That's you. You did it enough to where you felt comfortable. I never said _you_ specifically were incapable of understanding the interviewee's point of view. I'm surprised that you're taking such a narrow stand-point that only reflects your personal position in a situation like this.

@Kusy:

> Seriously? You never participated in a public poll? They never asked you who you voted for or what you think about something?
>
> Well I can proudly say that when something like that happens to me I don't start acting like I have serious brain damage or like I have been smoking pot five times a day for the last ten years.
>
> You are arguing for the sake of argument.

Oh, man! Your radically swaying words have fully convinced me. You've totally got me to finally see the light.

@Robin:

> He's like 13\. I don't think kids can vote in America.

No. I'm actually 11 & 1/2\. Nice try, though.