• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who here can see this in their sky?

Admiral Refuge

@[rose:

> link=topic=78287.msg839436#msg839436 date=1329624182]
> Photoshopped.

I don't think it's photoshopped. Isolated areas not near cities (i.e, the country) have very little light pollution, and a lot of the areas in the video look like they're out in the country. It's very possible that this is real.

Yeah, it's not photoshopped.  And while I haven't seen this in person, I have a friend in Arizona who can see it, and I have a friend in (I think Michigan) who can see it as well.

From what I remember reading, about 60% of the US and 50% of Europe will go through their whole lives without being able to see what the night sky is supposed to look like, due to light pollution.  Heck, I'm lucky if I see the big dipper or the North Star when I look up there…

I do plan on going out to see this someday, though.  It would take traveling probably to the desert or the Great Plains to see it.

@Robin:

> Might not be photoshopped but you certainly won't see that with the naked eye.
>
> Cameras have all kinds of functions for picking up shit like that.

Actually it depends. If there is barely any light population, and if your eyes can fixate properly, then you will be able to catch an image similarly to what you see now with your eyes.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@Jungle:

> If any of you have plans to see this, make sure that you also have plans to sleep there overnight. Sleeping under the stars like this is amazing, especially if you do it in the desert with no bugs out. This is definitely one of the things I'd like to do again.

[**Trust me, I plan on sleeping under the stars.**](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Discovery_Trail)

@Robin:

> Cameras have all kinds of functions for picking up shit like that.

Precisely. A good expensive camera can pretty much look anyone look like a photographer. My girlfriend has a 1000D which in comparison to the home's average camera is amazing, and can take some great photos. Better models are more expensive then a car, and can make any picture of a dead-end town or your ugly mother look like beautiful art.