Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will Eclipse game ever go anywhere?

Jacquelinett

I really want to make a 2d mmorpg. Just a 2d sandbox mmorpg. And i want to use Eclipse as a base. I want to take it serious. But rose, and other people keep telling me: if you want to make a good game, go learn a new language and start with it. But im like "Seriously, Eclipse look good to me". But no matter what I think, all my couragous and hope always get destroyed by someone who think Eclipse isnt good enough.

Yeah, i want to make a mmorpg that is atleast as good as Ragnarok. Tell me, do you think it is possible with Eclipse? (Let say i have Robin helping me out, he is not, but let just say that for now. Or let say i have lightning, and a bunch of other coder helping me out)

@Composer:

> I really want to make a 2d mmorpg. Just a 2d sandbox mmorpg. And i want to use Eclipse as a base. I want to take it serious. But rose, and other people keep telling me: if you want to make a good game, go learn a new language and start with it. But im like "Seriously, Eclipse look good to me". But no matter what I think, all my couragous and hope always get destroyed by someone who think Eclipse isnt good enough.
>
> Yeah, i want to make a mmorpg that is atleast as good as Ragnarok. Tell me, do you think it is possible with Eclipse? (Let say i have Robin having me out, he is not, but let just say that for now. Or let say i have lightning, and a bunch of other coder helping me out)

Don't let discouragement bring you down.

Anything is possible with a computer, don't think of what you can't do, but think of what more you can do. ;)

Conclusion: Anything is possible.

Of course you can make one, but it won't be as large as ragnarok. And it won't be MASSIVELY-Multiplayer, because I don't believe your server could handle it. Of course you could always use multiple servers handling the same data from two different loads of clients.

Regardless; Of course you can make a game with Eclipse ( Galaxy(; ), you just have to understand it's limitations and the rest is your own responsibility.

@[rose:

> link=topic=78300.msg839534#msg839534 date=1329675835]
> Of course you can make one, but it won't be as large as ragnarok. And it won't be MASSIVELY-Multiplayer, because I don't believe your server could handle it. Of course you could always use multiple servers handling the same data from two different loads of clients.
>
> Regardless; Of course you can make a game with Eclipse ( Galaxy(; ), you just have to understand it's limitations and the rest is your own responsibility.

Im really serious about game programming, but i just cant seem to be able to make one. I have been learning c++ and able to got picture appear on the screen using Bloodshed dev C++ and Allegro. But… I dont know how to make player structure on C++.  As for Eclipse, I dont know... I really dont know... I just want to have an Eclipse version of C or C++... It look good to me, but so many people think it isnt good enough. Im disappointed. Vb6 is easy to learn. I dont know. I really really dont know.... Im confused :(((((

@Composer:

> Im really serious about game programming, but i just cant seem to be able to make one. I have been learning c++ and able to got picture appear on the screen using Bloodshed dev C++ and Allegro. But… I dont know how to make player structure on C++.  As for Eclipse, I dont know... I really dont know... I just want to have an Eclipse version of C or C++... It look good to me, but so many people think it isnt good enough. Im disappointed. Vb6 is easy to learn. I dont know. I really really dont know.... Im confused :(((((

1\. Why the hell are you using structs for players if you're using C++?

2\. Don't expect to make a multiplayer game– or any large scale game-- in C++ until you have a few years of programming experience in lower level languages.

3\. If you keep worrying about making huge games then you won't last in the game development scene. Many similar kids like you come into this forum and other places complaining why making a game is so hard. I was once like you but I realized my limitations as an indie and quickly adjusted my plans. Start small by making pong before you try to make anything huge and serious.

4\. You should start a game by saying "I want to make a functional game and design it to make it original and mine" NOT "I want mah gamez to be biggah then teh bestest games out der made by companiez!".

@Composer:

> Im really serious about game programming, but i just cant seem to be able to make one. I have been learning c++ and able to got picture appear on the screen using Bloodshed dev C++ and Allegro. But… I dont know how to make player structure on C++.  As for Eclipse, I dont know... I really dont know... I just want to have an Eclipse version of C or C++... It look good to me, but so many people think it isnt good enough. Im disappointed. Vb6 is easy to learn. I dont know. I really really dont know.... Im confused :(((((

Theres no point in worrying over it, just go ahead and use Eclipse and see how far you get. Anything is possible.

@Jungle:

> 1\. Why the hell are you using structs for players if you're using C++?
>
> 2\. Don't expect to make a multiplayer game– or any large scale game-- in C++ until you have a few years of programming experience in lower level languages.
>
> 3\. If you keep worrying about making huge games then you won't last in this game development scene. Start small by making pong before you try to make anything huge and serious.
>
> 4\. You should start a game by saying "I want to make a functional game and design it to make it original and mine" NOT "I want mah gamez to be biggah then teh bestest games out der made by companiez!".

1\. Because Im copycat-ing Eclipse? Eclipse use type, C++ use struct.

2\. But i want to make it now!

3\. I made Hello World rpg before (lol)

4\. The reason im using Ragnarok at an example is because i think it a perfectly a good example. I dont want to make a game like ragnarok, but rather, as good as ragnarok.

@Composer:

Get the source for Eclipse++ and improve it? That way most of the work's done for you.

You're not thinking of programming right. It's not like there's one way to make a player. Sure, there are good ways but don't worry about that right now. Your first few games should just be little games coded shittily so you can just get a feel for the language and programming.

As for eclipse, remember that your first game will fail. You need experience in order to make a good game. You also need reputation to recruit other people. Eclipse will make a fine MMO, but making it big will be difficult.

@Aeri:

> Get the source for Eclipse++ and improve it? That way most of the work's done for you.

Don't do that, if you can't figure out how to make a player class in C++ then there's no way you'll successfully edit eclipse++.

@Composer:

> u r smart. How come i never think of that :O

Not sure if sarcastic.

Anyway, [here's a link.](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,49188.0.html)

@Eckhart:

> Don't do that, if you can't figure out how to make a player class in C++ then there's no way you'll successfully edit eclipse++.

She can always learn from it ;)

@Eckhart:

> You're not thinking of programming right. It's not like there's one way to make a player. Sure, there are good ways but don't worry about that right now. Your first few games should just be little games coded shittily so you can just get a feel for the language and programming.
>
> As for eclipse, remember that your first game will fail. You need experience in order to make a good game. You also need reputation to recruit other people. Eclipse will make a fine MMO, but making it big will be difficult.
> Don't do that, if you can't figure out how to make a player class in C++ then there's no way you'll successfully edit eclipse++.

… Yeah I cant even build Eclipse++ in my C++ visuals studio 2010 T.T

I want to give up. But if i give up, then my years of learning and enjoyment in game programming will be gone. WHERE SHOULD I START, DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Aeri:

> Not sure if sarcastic.
>
> Anyway, [here's a link.](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,49188.0.html)
>
> She can always learn from it ;)

No im not being sarcastic

@Aeri:

> Get the source for Eclipse++ and improve it? That way most of the work's done for you.

Oh God no… there were memory leaks all over that thing.

@Composer:

> 1\. Because Im copycat-ing Eclipse? Eclipse use type, C++ use struct.

-_-

The point of using C++ is OOP. If you're not using it correctly then go use C.

@Yumi:

> I want to give up.

Then give up. Your attitude shows to me that you aren't fit for an industry that will take everything out of you, then spit you up and through you on the ground. It's rough and you obviously don't have the toughness to endure it.

You need to stop, and look at what you're doing.

You're trying to jump in and copy-cat. You can't program a game, without first understanding how to program.

Take programming as a pre-requisite to game design and programming, just like a program, games can be developed and created in numerous ways, finding the right tools, developing optimized systems, and finishing the project are all things that take research, trial and error, and time.

You may think it's hard, but it's easier to do a lot of things in C++ than it is to in VB6 on a larger scale. Though C/C++ isn't your only option, you have to look out there and learn.

Eclipse has it's flaws and limitations but is no doubt a tool to use, and with it being open source your possibilities are only limited to the language. I'm currently writing a new system for Eclipse to make it an even better tool, but all it is is a tool.

If you wanted to make your own game from scratch, there are numerous tools out there besides eclipse, especially some libraries such as PyGame, and Unity. I'm not saying they're good tools but they are options.

Now, back to the main point. A game is nothing but a project, a result of programming. So yes, you must first learn how to program, and how you learn, the styles you develop, and the magnitude of your knowledge will be determining factors on how successful the experience is.

[tl;dr](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,78300.msg839551.html#msg839551)

ITT: Icarus.

Also, I encourage you to read sites like [lazyfoo](http://www.lazyfoo.net), if you actually want to learn game programming. The fact is though, that you have to learn. You won't be able to create your dream game from the start, you will have to climb up to exactly that point.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@Jungle:

> NO.
>
> In order to go big you need a huge professional team and thousands (or millions) of dollars in investments. Since you won't make it to that level due to your negative attitude, go develop simple games.

Oh. So now you are the one who is being negative.

Yo bro, im looking up at Lazy Foo's tutorial at the moment. Im pretty sure im gonna get a big team soon.