Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse's biggest issue

im waiting for eclipse to grow and be somthing, its not much but a basic engine. my friend thats in programming wont even touch it because its so basic. and its written VB6.

im waiting for it to grow and be somthing that nothing can compare to. XW is pretty much the same thing, there not much that differs.

Dont troll this and say im wrong. there like 40 active people. and its dying fast, jaxx,jungle anna these people come up alot cause they help.

when will eclipse be a full moon?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't grow. The concept of eclipse is for a basic engine. The fact its written in VB6 has nothing to do with the engine. It's a solid base for people to use. Why does everyone want this engine to be more? If you want something else go and make it your own damn selfā€¦.

@7804364:

> Dont troll this and say im wrong. there like 40 active people. and its dying fast, jaxx,**jungle** anna these people come up alot cause they help.

Aww shucks :3

But honestly, this community is as active as it ever wasā€¦ for the most part. The biggest problem we are encountering right now are people who think that VB6 is an arbitrary language. While it actually is, VB6 is also an amazing entry point into programming and Eclipse will start you off with a great engine.

@7804364:

> lol, ^ is my point,you cant make a mmorpg, only a rpg, they will never be a mass playing a 2d game

True, but that was never the intention. The point was to create an entry point for newbies learning how to program and for people new to game development. Nobody started off their game development career by creating a WoW killer. Most game developers start small with Pong, Snake, or the like. We just provide an excellent opportunity for you to get acquainted with networking early onā€“ one of the hardest concepts in programming.

The point of the site was to have fun and make games. Not be a professional.

If you have the required experience you don't need this base engine. You can turn it into something great if you put the work into it though.

@7804364:

> there like **40 active people**. and its **dying fast** [ā€¦]

lol

@7804364:

> you cant make a mmorpg, only a rpg, they will never be a mass playing a 2d game

You're/your friend is going to make a game where more than a few people want to play? Yeahā€¦ right. If he won't touch VB6, why is he looking at a free MMORPG engine?
[o]1\. Free MMORPG engines don't exist (only ORPG engines)
[o]2\. If he is so elitist that he won't touch VB6, why bother posting on Eclipse in the first place? It's obvious that both of you are too good for this community.

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. Yes it could be a lot better start up, but then again, the programming is half the fun! As Marsh said, most people who use this are just using it for nothing more than fun(even if they don't know it ;D) There are some people who took this to new heights such as Niall and Captain Wabbit. Marsh has converted most of this engine to C++ and Soul has converted it to something else I can't remember. (sorry! Bad memory!) These people have used this engine an turned it into something great with their precious time. Props to the Eclipse Community! Yes, not that many dedicated members, but there are loyal, hardworking, honest, nice people in the Community.

So again, I'm a little bit on the fence for this one.

P.S. Thanks for mentioning me XD ;D

TBH it's basic because Robin pretty much stripped Eclipse of all of it's features which was the only effective way to remove the majority of the bugs.
But really, it can't be much more than basic because if it was full of every feature a man could think of, there is no room for creativity. We'd all be playing the same game with a different name.

The whole point of Eclipse is so people LEARN and CREATE their OWN games. Having everything you could possibly need would never make anyone bother to LEARN programming because there's no need.

Go back to RPG Maker, son.

@7804364:

> **jaxx**,jungle anna these people come up

You clearly haven't been on here for very long.
Eclipse isn't dying, we've been having 400~ people on at any time during the day. That's much better than it used to be, look at Owen's signature.

You've been here since March, who are YOU to say this community is dying?

ITT: Someone makes another 'one of those' topics where he/she states that the forum is dying.

All I'm saying is that the forum was "dying" last year as well. I do think it's nice how an only recently registered member has to tell everyone this forum is dying, lolok.

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-crrhNTC6dfA/TdXSLNS_R9I/AAAAAAAAB6I/h4J27xT7d3c/s1600/End-is-near-785574.jpg)

@7804364:

> im waiting for eclipse to grow and be somthing, its not much but a basic engine. my friend thats in programming wont even touch it because its so basic. and its written VB6.

After reading ur previous post of different threads u never even attempted to obtain vb6 nor wanted too. I think ur just mad cause nobody would releaseĀ  an engine with a ton of features just for uā€¦ Of course its just a basic engine that's the point... Really though u never even tried to make it work... Then u say the only active ppl are jaxx (who has only been here a couple months), jungle (doesnt make eclipse games) and Anna (doesnt make games)....Ā  If ur friend is such a great programmer, which I believe u just made up, why doesn't he build an mmo engine for u? You have done nothing but female dog since u joined here.. like others have said this is for fun.. if u wouldn't even try to make it work I don't think game making is for u..

@Justn:

> After reading ur previous post of different threads u never even attempted to obtain vb6 nor wanted too.

im using eclipse++ cause its the only one i know how to do, and most games are similar with a diffrent name.

@7804364:

> and most games are similar with a diffrent name.

And you're blaming that on Eclipse Origins and the MMORPG maker being made in VB6? Look, it's not that VB6 or EO is limited, it's just that people come here with the dream/intention on making a game and in the end drop it for the lack of motivation. You can't blame that on the MMORPG maker or EO, seeing most of them never even bothered opening EO's source code.

If that was one of your main motivations on making this topic, at least do it properly and comment on how most of the people here, severly lack creativity and originality.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Eclipse is an engine for _hobbyists_.
It's for all the young people who want to chuck something together with some friends and make something fun, just for fun!

Just like Marsh said:
@Marsh:

> The point of the site was to have fun and make games. Not be a professional.
>
> If you have the required experience you don't need this base engine. You can turn it into something great if you put the work into it though.

Posted this in another thread yesterday, but I guess it's relevant to this, too. The second and third paragraphs are more relevant to this topic than the first.

@Niall:

> Well, about 3/4 years ago I was bored on holiday and decided to draw up some plans for a game. That game was actually OTLR, but I still was unsure what engine to use. I'd seen Eclipse before, and after having a look at other possibilities, I got hold of some version of Eclipse (most likely Total Eclipse 1.0 or Eclipse Evo 2.3?) and started developing. As some of the older members on here may remember, OTLR was in a pretty dire state, but I guess my motivation started by getting responses from the Eclipse Community.
>
> I then basically "acquired" a copy of VB6 and started coding. By then I was just about to start college. I was studying a Computing unit which "luckily" included Visual Basic.NET programming. During my college period was when I started to learn most of Visual Basic (I guess, I can't actually remember how I learned beforehand) which was then applied to OTLR. I guess rewriting the game five times also taught me more about programming games rather than the syntax. 6 months before University I started with C/C++ and started applying what I had learned with Eclipse. I'm now nearing the end of my first year of University and no first-year has as much knowledge as I do about programming and programming games (not bragging, just trying to hit home how much self-motivation helps ;] ). It also makes me happy that I'm around people which share the same passion as I do.
>
> In review, I guess I'm motivated by doing what I love, but also the urge to further my own knowledge. In response to the question _"Why am I here?_, I'm here because I'm on the path to making a career out of programming games, and I guess to a certain extent I have the Eclipse Community to thank for actually helping me find out what I'm good at.

Really? You think eclipse won't ever grow? So then tell me, what do you see in the source tutorials section? I'll tell you what I see, a constantly growing pool of add-ons with a nearly unlimited way of combining them. You just need to conform to the Standards of the community and use VB6 to get them. Or if your "programming friend" is so awesome he can translate/convert them into the correct language/engine for you. But my point is is that the growth is anything but stunted, its quite the opposite.

If you are going to complain about the lack of growth then you should at least do it while using the sameĀ  engine that you are complaining about.