Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tileset WIP

Nook

Lately I've started working on a custom tileset. So far I only have a few forest tiles completed, but I was hoping to get some input before I invest more time into these tiles.

>! ![](http://i50.tinypic.com/qsuvxg.png)

Colors have been the biggest trouble for me, I think. In that particular screenshot everything feels too green. I can't figure out how to neutralize it.

What do you guys think? Anything that needs tweaking?

EDIT:

An update of recent progress:

![](http://i50.tinypic.com/eqv7gw.png)

@ICT:

> Looks.. outstanding.
> The pine trees, highlight the to where you have the bottom leaves, they should be poking out further than the rest.
> The rocks could use a lil work on shape and shading.
> You have msn?

Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean with the pines?
You're right about the rocks. I'm having a difficult time executing the awkward shapes correctly.  :sad:
Yeah, although I frequent Skype more.

@Kreator:

> Great start, but all your palettes are lacking a darker shade. The stumps, leaves and rocks would all look better with an additional darker tone.

Hmm… I'll see what I can do.

@Sherwin:

> They are awesome!! Can you share them? :D

Thanks :cheesy: but sorry, I'm not doing anything with them until I finish an entire set. Then I'll figure out how to put them to use.

New screeny!

>! ![](http://i47.tinypic.com/k4jrx1.png)
Added a some darker values, although I'm not sure if it was enough. Made a few edits and finally made some cliffs to go along with everything.

The cliffs stand out way too much compared to the grass tilesets. It ends up looking like a fence or wall. You should make the colors match, and perhaps have the grass grow onto the cliff to make it look natural. Besides that, everything else looks great!

Wow! Great improvement, you corrected pretty much everything I was going to pick at in the first post, especially well done on the water ridges. Let's see…

The dirt paths seem kind of flat, and not worn down at all. And just some nitpicks, I think the top of the cliffs could use some bushels of grass where it meets the other vegetation. The tree's that aren't pine also do not have any grass poking out in front of the roots like the pine ones do.

![](http://i47.tinypic.com/lkt34.png)
Thinking about lessening the brightness of the water. Better or worse?

@Toxicity:

> Wow! Great improvement, you corrected pretty much everything I was going to pick at in the first post, especially well done on the water ridges. Let's see…
>
> The dirt paths seem kind of flat, and not worn down at all. And just some nitpicks, I think the top of the cliffs could use some bushels of grass where it meets the other vegetation. The tree's that aren't pine also do not have any grass poking out in front of the roots like the pine ones do.

Thank you! Vegetation on the dirt of the cliffs? Sounds good. I was trying to be cautious about overdoing the bushel of grass tile, but that can be fixed by making more vegetation tiles. I'll get on that.
I'll add the grass to the other tree as well. Thanks for the tips.

@Socuine:

> Simply amazing, Nook. The only and only thing I dislike is are the cliffs. You can't seperate them well from the grass, it looks like a wall of stone.

I appreciate it! Do you mean the cliffs in general or the cliffs when on grass? My only water tiles so far have grass on them, so I would blame it on that… but I'd still be guilty. I may just edit the current cliff tiles or instead add some new ones that work more according to the suggestions.

@Nook:

> I appreciate it! Do you mean the cliffs in general or the cliffs when on grass? My only water tiles so far have grass on them, so I would blame it on that… but I'd still be guilty. I may just edit the current cliff tiles or instead add some new ones that work more according to the suggestions.

The cliffs attached to water are great, I was refering to those high cliffs that are connected to the grass tile. :)

@Socuine:

> The cliffs attached to water are great, I was refering to those high cliffs that are connected to the grass tile. :)

Oh I see. I'll give 'em the ol' grass-over-the-edges makeover and see what that looks like.

Looks great, you should be proud; that's some amazing pixel art in progress. Your water could use another additional shade, perhaps a highlight. Although I do agree with everyones opinions on the cliffs to a degree, I also thing it is a nice style which reminds me of something I saw on Pixeljoint quite some time ago. Throw some variety on them or something, maybe some alternate cliff tiles which are cracked or just have different layered rocks to make it look more natural. At the moment they do look too smooth and flat.

Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing more. (: