Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My name is Rob, I co-own Samu Games LLC, I want to make a game with you!

Rob Janes

So, here are my thoughts. As anyone who checks out the custom version forums is probably aware, I'm working on a version of EO for the head developer position, found here http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/129958-eclipse-some-unique-name-here/page__st__100#entry860449

The more I add features and tweak the existing code, the more I think to myself "I'd really like to build a game with this."

So here I am…I have no idea what style of game I want, no idea the art direction I want to go in, and completely lacking a team. I do know I want to make a game with EO, and that's a start.

Now comes the part where I build a team. I need artists, musicians, game designers and mappers. I'm looking for dedicated adventurous people who want to make a truly fun game and community. If you think this is you, and it's something you want to be a part of, reply or PM with your work. I'm an easy team lead, not hard to get along with. I do like to plan everything before jumping into it, and will likely have a schedule in mind so I would like people who are dedicated - committed.

The game, should it come to fruition, will be released under Samu Games LLC. The source would likely be closed source (anything beyond what I release as a custom version) available to team members only. Should we ever throw in microtransactions for profit in the game, every team member would receive an equal share of gross profit. I like to make money, so if we can make a good quality game, this would likely occur!

Perks of joining?

Access to closed source code.

Your own FTP / @samugames.com email

Credit (obvious)

Resume building experience and portfolio building experience, plus references can be given on your work from a registered US company, Samu Games LLC.

Creative control over the game, we will work as a team to make our game!

If this interests you, you know what to do!

If I had an answer for you, I'd give one heh. I know I want to make one, but that's as far as I've gone with it. I think once the team is assembled, then as a group, we will decide what we want to make.

The concept of joining a team here has always been around the method of someone having an idea for a game, posting their idea and getting a team.

I want to change that style of thinking. I want to get a core group, let's say 4-5 extremely talented individuals, and as a team decide amongst ourselves where we want to go. We will each have our roles to play but at the end of the day, everyone plays a part in designing the game they want to play!

[Scribbyz](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/user/56540-scribbyz/) I am the Lead Developer and co-owner at Samu Games LLC, [www.samugames.com/artifact](http://www.samugames.com/artifact) - I code and oversee development for our flagship title Artifact; currently with version 3.0 in the works. I have worked as a professional software developer for a local company creating Timekeeping software as well before changing careers and becoming a Paramedic. I've been involved with Samu Games for the last 10 years, originally starting as a teenager and volunteering when it was owned by my mentors David and Dug. I purchased the company in 2009 and since have been managing and continuing to develop Artifact. (Artifact is coded in C and Borland Delphi).

[Aàron](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/user/53653-aaron/) - Will check now ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

Let me break down the roles, how I have planned, at least in my head.

1\. Project Lead / Lead Designer - myself.

Once we have an idea in mind for what constitutes a great Eclipse Based game, I'll be responsible for coding, and ensuring the team stays on track.

2\. Lead Artist - Unfilled

Responsible for majority of the artwork within the game, will decide if it's best to use custom artwork or find a good royalty free tileset to work with. If we have more than one artist, the Lead Artist is tasked with ensuring the team stays on track and is well motivated.

3\. Musician / Sound Engineer - Unfilled

Responsible for the majority of the sound within the game, will decide if it's best to use custom sound or find good royalty free sound.

4\. Mappers (Currently 1 Mapper Volunteered, need 1 or 2 more) -

Responsible for collaborating with the Project Lead and game designers to bring the world to life. The mappers are not responsible for adding NPCs or scripts to the world, but to simple paint each map according to the overall feel of the game.

5\. Game Designers (Currently 1 Designer Volunteered, need 1 r 2 more) -

Responsible for collaborating with the Project Lead and mappers to bring the world to life. The game designers create events, NPCs, items, spells and quests while ensuring everything is properly balanced an excellent PVP and PVE experience. While the mapper may 'design' the world, it's the game designer that populates the world with life. For this role, you must have a good understanding of the english language, as you'll be creating the content within the game.

6\. Lead Tester

Responsible for filling the server with beta testers are required. Acts as lead volunteer administrator within the game overseeing any GM issues or complaints.

I'm up for anything, I can do most positions you listed, though conceptual ideas is probably my strong point. As a busy nursing student can't nescessarily honestly dedicate all that much time but, hey, could possibly have fun working on something. Game designer, maybe?

Additionally I am- an IT person at the given moment, so maybe it could be of help in the field of testing and figuring out individiual system/hardware shortcomings? dunno

@ Slinky, it will come down to who shows the most potential and honestly, who appears to be most excited and can bring the most talent and willingness to the project.

@ Vus, will check now.

Here are some other things to consider.

1\. Communication;

Handled through game's website, MSN/Windows Live Messenger or IRC.

2\. Publishing

Game released as a Samu Games LLC title, ownership of title belonging to Samu Games LLC.

3\. Legal & Independant Contractors

You will sign a non-disclosure and independant contract agreement with Samu Games LLC. This means that you will not be considered an employee of Samu Games LLC however you are independantly contracted by our company to provide services rendered on a profit-sharing rate to be determined when our game has been decided upon. If you choose to back out of the project during development, your work becomes property of Samu Games LLC. You can be asked to leave the team should a majority of the team deem you unworthy or if you cannot commit the time and effort to the project.

4\. Hosting

The game and it's websites will be hosted by Samu Games LLC

5\. Sales & Profit Sharing

Should we decide to charge for in-game items (my thoughts are have a custom in-game currency that can be purchased with real money), this currency can buy you cosmetic changes like angle wings for example, or additional bag spaces, name changes etc. All sales would be handled by Plimus, our payment processor for Samu Games LLC. Profits will be split equally amongst all team members on the 15th of each month, automatically paid by Paypal, done by the vendor.

Don't let the #3 scare you, Samu Games LLC is a registered US legal entity and we like to have our t's crossed and i's dotted, if I'm going to make a game, I want to do it properly. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png) If we decide that we could sell in-game items or make a membership system, everything will be divided equally; (we'll sign paperwork defining everyone's roles and %)