Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silverdale?

gameCrypt

Does anyone else believe that when Silverdale goes public all other ORPGs created here will be blown away? Or has something like Silverdale (Good graphics, good music, etc) been made and was… not really forgotten but was either out-shadowed or something along those lines?

Also, before some people complain that I'm a "jealous fanny bandit" I actually can't wait for Silverdale to be released, cause you know... it looks hella awesome.

It's nothing mindblowing, if I'm honest, but compared to 80-90% of the games here, it appears to look, function, sound, and play better in just about every aspect.

Of course, from what I'm told, there isn't even combat, items, or NPCs at the moment, and just a few simple maps, and I've already stated that I believe they released far too early to constitute a basic game.

Am I jealous? A bit, because they have a fully fledged active team, they've managed to do it within a reasonable timescale, and Justin provides a pretty disposable income at his arsenal, making it easy for them to grab stuff. ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png) Buuuuut it's nothing that I couldn't do within time…nothing that anybody couldn't do within time, really. :]

@Skideria: Not a personal attack. Just what I believe at the moment.

They appear to be listening to their playbase for improvements and feedback. If they fix all the tedious/broken stuff from the original, I think it could be big. Just my opinion. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

I think Silverdale has the potential to be a really good game. It's well funded, has a very active team and, let's be honest, doesn't have much competition from other Eclipse-based games… Yet.

I've not really played it much though (I made an account a while ago, didn't get very far) so I don't know how much has changed recently.

There are a lot of talented people around here. The problem with a lot of teams is lack of dedication and cutting corners. My mindset personally is to release something, polish it all the way through, and release it again. That's how Silverdale is being developed. We're releasing something very basic and expanding on it. We know that we released too early, but postponing for months and months would of been worse in my opinion.

I've pretty much learned every skill there is except composing. The most essential aspect of designing a game is understanding everything in the field, and it helps when you struggle to find people to do specific parts of the project. That's probably the best advise I can give anyone who is planning on leading a project.

Yeah… I just see Silverdale as an average RPGXP tiled game. Nothing special in my opinion. I don't see why anybody would want to play it, nor do I want to play it myself.

With that said, the one thing going for it is organization. While I don't think it will "blow everything away" (seriously? just because it's made in java? or is there something I'm missing...), the people managing it are commited which is the problem with 99% of games around here.

It will be a decent game _around here_. But in the professional market, it has nothing over any other boring ORPG. Not even custom graphics.

> Yeah… I just see Silverdale as an average RPGXP tiled game. Nothing special in my opinion. I don't see why anybody would want to play it, nor do I want to play it myself.

If you're implying RPGXP came up with the tile system you're sadly mistaken. The art style came back from the NES days back over 30 years ago. The art comes from FSM not Enterbrain. There's also tons of edits, new tiles, and custom made things we're working on.

> It will be a decent game _around here_. But in the professional market, it has nothing over any other boring ORPG. Not even custom graphics.

Why do you think I plan on changing what made these games popular back in the 2000s (adapt it to the new generation)? If you remember the early days of PlayerWorlds, this niche was fairly big. I'm extending that beyond the niche, but keeping it suitable for them. I also think you're sadly mistaken if you don't think there's a lot of people who would play a retro 2-D game. The problem is that there aren't any good ones. I would even go as much as to say there's not a solid MMO out there except Guild Wars 2.

> With that said, the one thing going for it is organization. While I don't think it will "blow everything away" (seriously? just because it's made in java? or is there something I'm missing…), the people managing it are commited which is the problem with 99% of games around here.

The engine is made in C# (which uses the .NET framework and XNA). The problem is that you don't need to be blown away. Some people like simple games to pass time. MMOs have evolved into garbage filled with clutter that no one really has fun doing.

> It's nothing mindblowing, if I'm honest, but compared to 80-90% of the games here, it appears to look, function, sound, and play better in just about every aspect.
>
> Of course, from what I'm told, there isn't even combat, items, or NPCs at the moment, and just a few simple maps, and I've already stated that I believe they released far too early to constitute a basic game.
>
> @Skideria: Not a personal attack. Just what I believe at the moment.

I know it seems nothing mind blowing right now, but what was shown and released for Alpha (1) was just the very core of the game. We mainly used it to make sure our mapping corners were completely fixed and edged, as well test the servers stress and performance. Just hang with us in the next up coming months.

I know it's not personal, we love constructive criticism. It helps us build into the community that our players want.

> -snip-

Yeah, I know. It just isn't "OMFG THIS GAME IS GUD" like this guy is making it out to be. You guys will also have shittons of competion, so good luck. I personally don't care how many maps or items or quests are in a game, but if there are actually people out there that like that then go for it.

> Yeah, I know. It just isn't "OMFG THIS GAME IS GUD" like this guy is making it out to be. You guys will also have shittons of competion, so good luck. I personally don't care how many maps or items or quests are in a game, but if there are actually people out there that like that then go for it.

The game won't just be a simple grind fest like traditional PlayerWorlds games were, so it is much more than what we have revealed. We literally have no competition, since 2-D games like this are nonexistent.

I support this project and it might be one of the (not to say the only((so far!)) games I could actually see myself playing from Eclipse.. It shows there is alot of talent involved in this game, the good ideas and philosophies at the right places, and commitment to quality. I'm only starting to discover the project, but amongst other things I find the approach it takes on the leveling curve very good, and I must be honest.. I grew up on Final Fantasy and I can deffinitely feel many thematic and conceptual influences, well rendered and hopefully well adapted for an online game. Seems it intends to have it's level cap at 99 (hehe) but have an "Honors" system beyond that point. Depending on the size of the game and the actual amount of playtime players are expected to spend before reaching the cap, it may need alot of end game content ultimately however.

> The game won't just be a simple grind fest like traditional PlayerWorlds games were, so it is much more than what we have revealed. We literally have no competition, since 2-D games like this are nonexistent.

![](http://dominiescommunicate.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/challenge_accepted.png)

> Does anyone else believe that when Silverdale goes public all other ORPGs created here will be blown away? Or has something like Silverdale (Good graphics, good music, etc) been made and was… not really forgotten but was either out-shadowed or something along those lines?
>
> Also, before some people complain that I'm a "jealous fanny bandit" I actually can't wait for Silverdale to be released, cause you know... it looks hella awesome.

wo wo wo wow…. There isn't any game that could probably "blow away" a person, even the ones 3D that are new, I'm not impressed that much about any game. The game I would see mind blowing would be one with a new, original story, în Middle Eve, with a new graphic view, not 2D nor 3D,but one that'll impress most people, and an online feature.

Now to come back, you're just a fan of them, I don't think you actually know how Manny big, nice projects are running around. How many people try to impress by graphics, game play or story. This game will not take down the others, it will take down only the ones who are too weak. The ones that are strong, will take it as a challenge.

Personally, i like their website, and their logo. The logo is incredible.

As an end, I don't want mean looks at this comment of mine, I want to open this topic maker's eyes.

> wo wo wo wow…. There isn't any game that could probably "blow away" a person, even the ones 3D that are new, I'm not impressed that much about any game. The game I would see mind blowing would be one with a new, original story, în Middle Eve, with a new graphic view, not 2D nor 3D,but one that'll impress most people, and an online feature.
>
> Now to come back, you're just a fan of them, I don't think you actually know how Manny big, nice projects are running around. How many people try to impress by graphics, game play or story. This game will not take down the others, it will take down only the ones who are too weak. The ones that are strong, will take it as a challenge.
>
> Personally, i like their website, and their logo. The logo is incredible.
>
> As an end, I don't want mean looks at this comment of mine, I want to open this topic maker's eyes.

4D graphics, what the duck?

I'd love to see you render a tesseract.

> 4D graphics, what the duck?
>
> I'd love to see you render a tesseract.

didn't say 4D graphics ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png) I meant just another way, like the tile based games are something between 2D and 3D, what about a stereoscopic game with some new kind of "joysticks"? I've seen on discovery science something like a hamster ball where you entered, and the direction you were going, the in game player was going too. And something new, that'll put you more info The game., Idk what, but we have the technology, all we need is ideas, and someone to make them real.

> didn't say 4D graphics ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png) I meant just another way, like the tile based games are something between 2D and 3D, what about a stereoscopic game with some new kind of "joysticks"? I've seen on discovery science something like a hamster ball where you entered, and the direction you were going, the in game player was going too. And something new, that'll put you more info The game., Idk what, but we have the technology, all we need is ideas, and someone to make them real.

http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/FullDive

> [http://swordartonlin…m/wiki/FullDive](http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/FullDive)

SAO didn't come up with that concept.

[Occulus Rift](http://www.oculusvr.com/) is something coming soon to games. It is a virtual reality headset. I do not think those types of things can make a game fun if it isn't, but the things that you enjoy the most in games being present in them.

> SAO didn't come up with that concept.
>
> [Occulus Rift](http://www.oculusvr.com/) is something coming soon to games. It is a virtual reality headset. I do not think those types of things can make a game fun if it isn't, but the things that you enjoy the most in games being present in them.

headsets and gloves are something that should be used inside the ball, because I don't want to break something without knowing.