Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE END OF THE WORLD

Rogue

you guys fail…. their turning on the beams...but the beams wont be tested until october. and even when they do the blackhole will be too small to do any damage. I hope this thread is a joke.

and before anyone says anything, no i didnt read the whole topic

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Anna:

> This is SO OLD. Get with the times, the LHC has been known for years.

No its been under construction for years.

The first full power particle accelerations are due to start today or tomorrow. Everything finally reached a cold enough temperature and eveyrthing ahs been tested.

So fingers crossed that nothing bogus happens.

There actually IS a chance of something catastrophic happening, like a black hole being created, or some other yet unknown phenomena.
The Scientists themselves have said so, however they said the chances of something like that happening are like a zillion to one or something

@DrNova:

> There actually IS a chance of something catastrophic happening, like a black hole being created, or some other yet unknown phenomena.
> The Scientists themselves have said so, however they said the chances of something like that happening are like a zillion to one or something

Eventually some poor bastard planet gets the one.

i thought i read that they AREN'T stable black holes. thus they self destroy quickly…. a stable black hole would absorb matter and grow and then kill us all... mainly we dont know what could happen because we could never examine a black hole... now we might be able to with the few seconds they will exists with this machine.

the chance of a black hole actually happening i one in 5 billion

but if you want something really funny check out these

http://www.livescience.com/technology/destroy_earth_mp.html

> You will need: a microscopic black hole. Note that black holes are not eternal, they evaporate due to Hawking radiation. For your average black hole this takes an unimaginable amount of time, but for really small ones it could happen almost instantaneously, as evaporation time is dependent on mass. Therefore you microscopic black hole must have greater than a certain threshold mass, roughly equal to the mass of Mount Everest. Creating a microscopic black hole is tricky, since one needs a reasonable amount of neutronium, but may possibly be achievable by jamming large numbers of atomic nuclei together until they stick. This is left as an exercise to the reader.
>
> Method: simply place your black hole on the surface of the Earth and wait. Black holes are of such high density that they pass through ordinary matter like a stone through the air. The black hole will plummet through the ground, eating its way to the center of the Earth and all the way through to the other side: then, it'll oscillate back, over and over like a matter-absorbing pendulum. Eventually it will come to rest at the core, having absorbed enough matter to slow it down. Then you just need to wait, while it sits and consumes matter until the whole Earth is gone.
>
> Highly, highly unlikely. But not impossible.
>
> Earth's final resting place: a singularity of almost zero size, which will then proceed to happily orbit the Sun as normal.

> Blown up by matter/antimatter reaction
>
> You will need: 2,500,000,000,000 tons of antimatter
>
> Antimatter - the most explosive substance possible - can be manufactured in small quantities using any large particle accelerator, but this will take some considerable time to produce the required amounts. If you can create the appropriate machinery, it may be possible - and much easier - simply to "flip" 2.5 trillion tons of matter through a fourth dimension, turning it all to antimatter at once.
>
> Method: This method involves detonating a bomb so big that it blasts the Earth to pieces.
>
> How hard is that?
>
> The gravitational binding energy of a planet of mass M and radius R is - if you do the lengthy calculations - given by the formula E=(3/5)GM^2/R. For Earth, that works out to roughly 224,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Joules. The Sun takes nearly a WEEK to output that much energy. Think about THAT.
>
> To liberate that much energy requires the complete annihilation of around 2,500,000,000,000 tonnes of antimatter. That's assuming zero energy loss to heat and radiation, which is unlikely to be the case in reality: You'll probably need to up the dose by at least a factor of ten. Once you've generated your antimatter, probably in space, just launch it en masse towards Earth. The resulting release of energy (obeying Einstein's famous mass-energy equation, E=mc^2) should be sufficient to split the Earth into a thousand pieces.
>
> Earth's final resting place: A second asteroid belt around the Sun.
>
> Earliest feasible completion date: AD 2500\. Of course, if it does prove possible to manufacture antimatter in the sufficiently large quantities you require - which is not necessarily the case - then smaller antimatter bombs will be around long before then.

and my Fav #6

> Destroyed by vacuum energy detonation
> You will need: a light bulb

i have light bulb ^^

Well, they ran a test of it.
They fired the beam in one direction, and today they are supposed to fire the beam in the other direction.

Then they fire em both at the same time

You know, I was thinking.
They say the chances of something going wrong are like 1 in a zillion or whatever their odds were, BUT
This thing smashes atoms together like 11,000 times a second, thats alot of chances to "oops", every day

@Baron:

> No its been under construction for years.
>
> The first full power particle accelerations are due to start today or tomorrow. Everything finally reached a cold enough temperature and eveyrthing ahs been tested.
>
> So fingers crossed that nothing bogus happens.

I know it hasn't been started yet, but particle accelerators, which the LHC is essentially, are nothing new.

@‪‫‬‭‮‪‫Kusy:

> Marsh I love your avatar… Dr - your avatar freaks me out... Robin, I love your avatar and signature... And I didn't get laid - the world is doomed now.

Awww, I love you too.

If you ever need to get laid, feel free to fly over to England.

I'll hook you up with Spike ;D

Here's another interesting thing from me, a black hole created by simply two atoms would be so incredibly small…. Sort of like an average sized rock to sun in comparison to the atoms surrounding it. Thus the black hole would fizzle out before it even got a chance to pull anything in... Plus it would take hundreds of years for it to even pull apart an atom if i got to one in time... But it would not be able to pull enough to it before it craps out  :P I already did my research on this stuffz it was my research paper I had to do last year.

._.

oh, i just watched this very cool video about the LHC and saw what it actually does…it just slams atoms into each other, thats all. It simply strips the hydrogen of its electrons, throws it around in various rings of various sizes to increase its pace and then slams the atoms into each other from 2 seperate directions. The only special thing about it is that it does it at like 99.99999% the speed of light. Because its so fast, it makes the particles heavier than there supposed to be (like 75000 times heavier) and this helps in testing many theories we have in place today. They are looking for a certain type of particle called Higgs (the god particle if you will) that would help combine all the physics we have today into one unified mathematic theory.

they wont make the beams hit each other until mid october…so there was no black hole today.

even when the blackhole comes it will be tiny, and will evaporate in a small ammount of time. so the chance of anything bad happening is smaller then dying from a knife to the face