Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My aweful ground tile "fix"

mrmiguu

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> And dirthing. Much better than anything I have seen you do.

Slightly offended there, I'm not a tile artist and you may bother trying but these are not as good as those that minilinkki did.

The new ones are still pillow shading and lack texture. Add dirt, cracks shading on the cracks rockshapes/patterns.

Exemple:
![](http://www.aegweb.org/images/Geologic%20Hazards/rockfall.jpg)
It's not hugely flat and if you start with the line art and put the lighting where you want, you can shade the thing much better.

Dude, there's no pillow shading… it's dithered. It can't be pillow shaded. Your outline is way worse than mine to be honest. I am sorry if I offended you but you were gettin on my arse about how my tile wasn't good and "pillow shade this" and "pillow shade that". You seem to be upset at me and is taking it out on me by giving me a hard time about my pixel art. I am trying my best.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> Dude, there's no pillow shading… it's dithered. It can't be pillow shaded. Your outline is way worse than mine to be honest. I am sorry if I offended you but you were gettin on my arse about how my tile wasn't good and "pillow shade this" and "pillow shade that". You seem to be upset at me and is taking it out on me by giving me a hard time about my pixel art. I am trying my best.

You took it easier on him than you did on me… :(

If it's concrete I suggest not ending it like mud… if it's under a city or if it's a road it should just end with a straight line not with those "stalactytes" stuff. Then you can add pipes pointing out from below and stuff like that. Who saw concrete that forms like this? I have nothing agains floating in side scrollers and lack of reality but that would just seem more decent.

Well, i dont suggest completely flat, but to have "spikes" to the extent that he does looks a bit akward… hold on, lemme find an example...

![](http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd21/pointblankstudios/tileys.jpg)

see? I dont have huge spikes comin out of the bottom and it looks fine. these now are kind of obsolete, but its still fine. Not flat, but not spikey either… Just a suggestion.

But there's not one general style of side scrollers. Mario may be outdated but it's tiles look nothing like that. I want to differentiate myself from other games. I want to make my tiles look good but have a style of their own. Your tiles are amazing and I can never compete with them. All I am good for is programming. For a programmer, i think my tiles are great.

Lol, my tiles are not that great… I wish I was better. But, you can still ahve your own style and also tone down the spikes. its just that theyre a bit too distracting. If they were shorter, it would look better. once again, jsut an opinion.

Miguu, what I did was a blatant example and I simply tried to imply that if you color it it might look actually good if you have texture on it. And even if it's dithered, it still looks pillow shaded. I read in a tutorial something not to rely on dithering too much since it can become a bit overused. Dithering doesn't changed much in something, only makes it smoother. Texture and shading makes things have depth and look better for the yes :3.

Hope the criticism is alright ;0

• 3 weeks later...
@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> And dirthing. Much better than anything I have seen you do.

Don't be a douche, this topic is criticism for your work not his. And regardless, to an extent, you don't have to partake in what you attempt to judge, as long as it's generally just its appearance. And yes, sometimes they may not realize or understand a certain artistic technique. Seems you don't fully understand dithering as well, so I'm going to help you.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> Lol, this is very old. Tell me what you guys think of this?
> ![](http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Alexanderthegreat91/lostica_bestbrick-1.png)

On these old tiles, you've simply worked on the pillow shading to attempt to use dithering. Dithering is used to portray different shades and even textures using a palette, to make it appear like more shades, and achieve greater detail.

Refer to attachment now.

Excuse the fact that its zoomed in, but notice how through the use of dithering, they've managed to achieve what looks like many shades of color between black and white. The difference between the one in the middle and the one on the right is the middle is patterned. (Mathematically)

I just noticed this topic is almost 2 weeks old, but ill still post