Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First look at my 100% custom work in progress

Acoliite

Hello, I'm Acoliite. This is my first post on here! :D I recently started working on a game and decided I wanted completely custom graphics game.

I've already got the story pretty fleshed out and if all goes according to plan my game should be very unique from other games in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Since the game is in its early stages I would like to use this thread for feedback and suggestions on how I can improve my graphics and mapping. This is so I can make my game the best it can be. :D

I won't be releasing details on the storyline but I can assure you it will tie in nicely with the game and the world.

I am looking for a sprite artist that can match my style as closely as possible to create the characters, enemies, and npcs (since spriting is where I lack the most). So if anyone is interested please send me a message.

Here is the first screenshot, using graphics that I made today. Not all graphics have been used but I tried to put as many as I could in while still keeping the map aesthetically pleasing.

Note these aren't screenshots from the game, just preview maps showing off the tiles, when I'm not trying to cram as much as I can into one map the maps will look a lot better.

![](http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6963/preview004.png)

![](http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1962/preview005.png)

![](http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4007/preview007.png)

Please give me feedback on how I can improve or any suggestions you may have.

Acoliite

It's hard to tell, but the outlines around the trees are only 1 pixel thick, it only looks that way because the outer part of the wood is darker. I will probably change that later.

Is it bothersome that there is no outline around dirt? Because my plan was to make grass-dirt transitions have no outline.

EDIT: I've updated it now. I've changed the outer edges of the trees to a lighter color so it doesn't make the outline look thicker. I've also added an outline to the grass around the dirt.

Thanks for the feedback Kreator I think it looks better now :)

I'm going to keep the black outlines because I want my game to look more unique and I think that kind of gives it a different style than others. :)

I don't think it's that bright, it may just look that way because it's surrounded by the black background of the forums.

Thanks for the comments :cheesy:

I've updated it for the third time with some newer stuff like the single logs, wood stacks, and more plant variety. I've also added more detail to the fence, will probably change it more later since it still seems a bit off.

Thanks for the compliments :azn:

I was sort of going for a cartoon feel.

I just finished the first of the mountains. I will post a second preview map and try to use as many of the newer graphics as I can on it. It will probably be posted when I've finished at least 2 types of mountains, 1 water type, and some more scenery.

it doesn't look like a map i would walk on, more like a… a... how do i say this.
Well What i mean is just... it doesn't seem like a part of a world, more like it IS an individual world, and you would walk parts of it save the trees and the fence which may replicate villages and forests.
yeah i probably sound crazy.

Seems that some people think my short grass is too bright. So I made it 10% darker to see what you guys think of it.

Which is better, the brighter or the darker grass?

Edit: Preview of some stone walls and stone path within the next few days, depends on how much I feel like making tiles.