Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mappers.

ddunit

Well, most newbs think that mapping is an easy thing to do. You just have to make grass and add stuff. It's not. Mapping is actually a very important part of the game. Most newbs think "oh ths s ezy", I could not disagree more. I remember seeing one of BUGSicks map. That was just awesome. There's a difference between mappers and good mappers. Also, in the Need A Job board, so many people say "i map". They show no examples, this really makes me angry.

Please people, stop spamming, this isn't Chit Chat.

How can we define a good mapper? It's the one that wins a mapping contest, the ones that are renowned for their mapping and those that made game with awesome maps. So please, stop thinking you're better then those that worked to get their reputation.

a good mapper shows his work. must prove that he/she is willing to change his/her style of mapping to fit the purpose of the game. they must be able to do whatever the person who hired them to do and must show improvement.
they need to smart (not ask dumb questions) and need to be able to figure stuff out on their own.
they need to be able to show that they are willing to work. devote their time if you will.
they need to show that they can follow the rules or face the consequences.
they need to be able to map both inside and outside and willing to work on what they are weak.(like i'm weak on caves)
they have to care enough to actually show that if they don't want to map, they will just say so. not make up excuses.
must be willing to have a common sence of where things should go.

@Ddunit:

> Please people, stop spamming, this isn't Chit Chat.
>
> How can we define a good mapper? It's the one who wins a mapping contest, the ones who are renowned for their mapping and those who made a game with awesome maps. So please, stop thinking you're better then those who worked to get their reputation.

Spamming? It was a joke, get that butt-plug out of your arse.

You, for one, make a very big mistake here actually. Good is actually subjective, hence why some/so many people think they're good at something, because they really have no idea. Also, please bare in mind that this is a community meant for newbies and that this community therefore has to accept such lame posts, even if the mapping is horrible. That doesn't mean you shouldn't reply to those topics, however, you should actually give tips and such so that they can actually improve themselves as for mapping. What you're currently doing is degrading everybody who can't map, while they think they can, and praising the elitists. Yes, I also, ironically, make jokes about such subjects, but then again, I don't post topics in order to tell how much people actually suck at something, instead of giving advice.

In my opinion, you could actually better have posted a tutorial on how to map, instead of a topic of why bad mappers shouldn't call themselves good, because that's what you're actually doing at this very moment.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@SHADERS:

> if you could see. all he said is he is tired of people proclaming they are awsome mappers. if they dont show their work or anything, how will we know and how can we make them better if…
>
> wait, nvm

Some people proclaim things all the time. At the end, it's not such a huge deal, as it'll leak out anyway.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@SHADERS:

> a good mapper shows his work. must prove that he/she is willing to change his/her style of mapping to fit the purpose of the game. they must be able to do whatever the person who hired them to do and must show improvement.
> they need to smart (not ask dumb questions) and need to be able to figure stuff out on their own.
> they need to be able to show that they are willing to work. devote their time if you will.
> they need to show that they can follow the rules or face the consequences.
> they need to be able to map both inside and outside and willing to work on what they are weak.(like i'm weak on caves)
> they have to care enough to actually show that if they don't want to map, they will just say so. not make up excuses.
> must be willing to have a common sence of where things should go.

@SHADERS:

> @SHADERS:
>
> > a good mapper shows his work. must prove that he/she is willing to change his/her style of mapping to fit the purpose of the game. they must be able to do whatever the person who hired them to do and must show improvement.
> > they need to smart (not ask dumb questions) and need to be able to figure stuff out on their own.
> > they need to be able to show that they are willing to work. devote their time if you will.
> > they need to show that they can follow the rules or face the consequences.
> > they need to be able to map both inside and outside and willing to work on what they are weak.(like i'm weak on caves)
> > they have to care enough to actually show that if they don't want to map, they will just say so. not make up excuses.
> > must be willing to have a common sence of where things should go.

It's the responsibility of a project manager to actually check that the people do their work. If he/she doesn't, it's his/her own fault. Mere fact is that some people simply don't do this and if people actually post without some port folio or anything similar, then they shouldn't be accepted either.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@SHADERS:

> @SHADERS:
>
> > a good mapper shows his work

@Godlord:

> @SHADERS:
>
> > @SHADERS:
> >
> > > a good mapper shows his work. must prove that he/she is willing to change his/her style of mapping to fit the purpose of the game. they must be able to do whatever the person who hired them to do and must show improvement.
> > > they need to smart (not ask dumb questions) and need to be able to figure stuff out on their own.
> > > they need to be able to show that they are willing to work. devote their time if you will.
> > > they need to show that they can follow the rules or face the consequences.
> > > they need to be able to map both inside and outside and willing to work on what they are weak.(like i'm weak on caves)
> > > they have to care enough to actually show that if they don't want to map, they will just say so. not make up excuses.
> > > must be willing to have a common sence of where things should go.
>
> It's the responsibility of a project manager to actually check that the people do their work. If he/she doesn't, it's his/her own fault. Mere fact is that some people simply don't do this and if people actually post without some port folio or anything similar, then they shouldn't be accepted either.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Am I a good mapper?

I'm not sure myself.
But you guys will see my map in my game, which will be in Alpha Test very soon.
It was suppose to be new year but something came up and I have to stop.

I will try to get it in the W.I.P board soon then the Alpha Test will be somewhere in February.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Ddunit:

> Very decent, the inside of that church-ish thing was bad, and the house were way too close, there should be alleys or something between them.

yeah i had very limited tiles for the inside of the gate dome as its called. What would i do to make it better?
and i was going for a certain look with the buildings, since the mads are based on a city from a ps2 game and the buildings were super close and used as walls