Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rules

Marsh

This section is for posting games made with other engines or custom games. Though there are still some rules.

* You must have 25 Posts. Please do not advertise and leave you must be a part of the community.
* Your topic must contain information on your game and not simply a link to your game post on another forum
* This is for other Games, not other Engines.
* Please post screen shots and at least a few paragraphs of info.

Marsh, I think that 25 posts is a bit small… I mean, look at some of the members here that are not above 1k yet still contribute daily. I, personally, suggest raising the bar. 25 is easy to post, and keep a stead post per week sort of thing. its an easy to break system.

@Chief:

> Marsh, I think that 25 posts is a bit small… I mean, look at some of the members here that are not above 1k yet still contribute daily. I, personally, suggest raising the bar. 25 is easy to post, and keep a stead post per week sort of thing. its an easy to break system.

Perhaps, but it'll be well moderated. In the end it'll come down to moderator's discretion.

30 is not a step up from 25\. and you may not agree with 100, but honestly, this community is "ECLIPSE" based games. not for something else. any other game is potentially advertising a different engine, which could then have eclipse lose potential users to some other program that's practically the same, if not worse. In order to keep it in a respectful fashion, you must raise the post minimum to ensure that the advertising members are in facet sincere when they post, and have no intention of posting, leaving, and advertising for a different engine. these are only precautions, and trust me, 100 is still quite low for something of this sort. if these were my (most wonderful, successful) forums, I would raise it to like 250\. I mean, Ive got over 1k posts and got to 1k in under a year. sure, a year is long, but it goes by fast if you're contributing to the community. it shouldnt be a problem, I just suggesting to raise it. maybe 75-100 range.

@Chief:

> 30 is not a step up from 25\. and you may not agree with 100, but honestly, this community is "ECLIPSE" based games. not for something else. any other game is potentially advertising a different engine, which could then have eclipse lose potential users to some other program that's practically the same, if not worse. In order to keep it in a respectful fashion, you must raise the post minimum to ensure that the advertising members are in facet sincere when they post, and have no intention of posting, leaving, and advertising for a different engine. these are only precautions, and trust me, 100 is still quite low for something of this sort. if these were my (most wonderful, successful) forums, I would raise it to like 250\. I mean, Ive got over 1k posts and got to 1k in under a year. sure, a year is long, but it goes by fast if you're contributing to the community. it shouldnt be a problem, I just suggesting to raise it. maybe 75-100 range.

As far as the post-count, I think 25 is reasonable, considering ChitChat, Debate, Forum Games, etc, do not count in posts, and to get 25 posts in the other board does require commitment – probably about a week or so to get to 25, sometimes more.
Just by running down some users that posted in these topics, it took them about a month to read post number 100, by posting on these forums (this is including the posts made in chit-chat; it would probably have taken much longer if you discount that board).

As far as other users migrating away to other engines because of this board... I think Eclipse can handle itself.
Most users on this forum already know about the other engines and choose to stay with Eclipse.
I recall accounts where users would come back after awhile, saying that they went to the other engines, Chaos, XW, etc, and came back to Eclipse because they felt Eclipse is a better engine.
The Eclipse forums have over 15,000 members, and 500,000 posts; and keep in mind, that not everyone that gets the engine signs up to the forums either.  Does anyone know what the userbase for the other Mirage Distros are?

Who knows, this may even bring users new users to turn an eye over to Eclipse; back when we were discussing this board in the admin area, Robin gave account on when he was an admin on the Mirage Source boards; he opened up an advertising area.  Many new users came to those forums to advertise their game, and they ended up converting their game to his source, simply because they found it was better.

all i can say is that if we allow games to be made with other engines here, they should allow us to post on their forums.

think about it, rpg maker allows only their games, so why should we allow them to post on ours?

and admeral, make more comics pweeze?

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

@Admiral:
Fair enough, Its not my forums anyways. I guess Its just how I would feel if they were my forums. I'm a bit "anal" about advertising other things on things meant for something else. its like a pet peeve for me. I just suggest heavy moderation in this area, but I'm almost positive you've already got that managed and under control.

There, I've thrown in my own two cents. I also tend to forget that you guys talk about things in the staff area before making things public. I'm sure you've had it looked at through multiple angles, I apologize if I seem like I'm trying to do anyone's job.

I agreed with your point of view for a long time chief. Robin made some good points otherwise though. It makes perfect sense to not advertise for the competition but this could be for the best. It can always be removed later if it is abused or turns out to not be a working system.

Agreed. but having said that, its still VB6, and is horrendously out-dated, no offense guys. If people are to advertise other games, they could be made with C++, Java, C#, or something now superior and up to date. Its not an overly huge issue, but I'd still be a bit concerned about it.

nobody wants spam and advertising on forums
and not that I'm trying to advertise anything…
but if people do advertise their games, i don't think it would hurt the eclipse community or draw off any members.

but as mentioned earlier, it really would be nice if they were an active part of this community before they went and advertised their C++ game or whatever it is

Well, its not the game, but so much as if they mention the engine they use to someone, then it spreads. This is for the "Eclipse Engine" not some other engine, and thus defeats the purpose of having this forum for solely eclipse if they open it to newcomers to these forums.

Yes, having them hold a root in the community is, in my biased opinion, extremely important before posting their game in here. 25 posts is not a very strong root, and can be, often times, gained by usless posts made in order to raise it quickly to get to 25\. I still hold strong to the idea of raising the minimum, but once again, I admit I am not in any way, shape, or form, a voice of leadership on here.

Dude, I never mentioned quality. Its an issue about their motives/activity and whether or not they will post, leave, and never return. sure, its easy to moderate that, but its easier to just raise the strictness of the rules as to prevent the need for full on moderation in mass amounts. Quality is not the issue here.

@SHADERS:

> all i can say is that if we allow games to be made with other engines here, they should allow us to post on their forums.
>
> think about it, rpg maker allows only their games, so why should we allow them to post on ours?

For the first time in my life, i agree with you. *Hugs shaders*

Put the handbags away, girls.

This is something new, so we're just trying it out. If we find it doesn't work, then we can always remove it.

This was simply an idea that I threw around the rest of the moderation/administration team. Anthony and Evan commented on some of my ideas, improved upon them and then when Evan was re-designing the forum he added this in.

As I see it, there are very few people in Eclipse who don't know about at least some of the other options around, yet they all stay here. If you look in our active games board, we've got two of the most advanced and well-polished games _ever_ created with Mirage; Silverdale and Ambardia. I've been around for… well, far too long and I've never seen such a huge amount of commitment and motivation as I see in (some) Eclipse members.

Along with that, we've got some amazing stuff in development engine-wise.

And finally, I feel the post count is reasonable. It's very hard to say whether a member is an 'active part of the community' by just their post count, hence the heavy moderation which will go on here.

tl;dr: I say we give it a try before arguing about it, mmkay?