Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

World of Hyrule Development - Dead?! - No we aint (updated)

Dark Crusade

World of Hyrule is back in development! Check it out at www.worldofhyrule.org. The entire team is back! Myself, Japez and Spainion!!

Within the last few months, development on World of Hyrule, has sunk to an anchor. The anticipated alpha test that was on the brink of completion has been called of until further notice, which is unfortunate because graphical-wise, it has been ready for quite a while. The engine just awaited a few final touches until Spainion compiled a ready client.

Here is the topic I posted up on World of Hyrule, for those interested in reading more.

> That's right. as the one person you probably never expected to resign, I am now contemplating it. World of Hyrule has been dead for quite a few months lately, while we anxiously awaited Spainion to return and finish up the final touches for an alpha test. Apparently he also has a lot going on in his life, and quite possibly has also lost interest.
>
> I'm quite fed up with waiting around, being the only active community manager. Theres quite a number of reasons why I'm thinking about somewhat dropping the project. Of cause, I'll keep all graphics, and most importantly 'acquired experience'. There will always be the chance that I'll pick the project back up, whether with Spainion or someone else, and whether the exact same project, or something smaller.
>
> World of Hyrule has always been a very huge project. Everything from scratch, and with plans to implement the entire 'Ocarina of Time' world, and all its inhabitants and features. With such a tiny development team, and many unsuccessful applicants for help - the project has become more of a chore, then a fun project. With Spainon doing all the programming, and me doing all the graphics, mapping and design - it's a giant task.
>
> Aside from that, my life has picked up, as I ascend to a more busy and organized saga in my life. I have less free time, I have a Blowup Doll, and I have a lot of plans. I move on from TAFE (somewhat like college in America) this year, and into University in August. I'll be doing a course that finishes in 4 years time - 'Bachelor in Media Arts and Production'.
>
> I'm also moving soon, to the capital of Australia - Canberra. I'll be there soon hopefully, definitely before my course starts.
>
> World of Hyrule has been a burden and responsibility lately, always somewhat worrying about it, and having to check on the community, and co-ordinate development, although none of this has really been done - because myself and Spainion haven't spoken for quite some time. And neither of us have done any recent development.
>
> Now of cause, people will be disappointed, and the entire; "another potential zelda mmo fail" will take place. But I'm optimistic, and regardless that I don't have any finished product, I've learnt a lot and gained experience from the various development and designs I've implemented, especially all the art I've done.
>
> This project has always been a hobby. We aren't in it for the money. I've had fun, and I would never call it a waste. But I think it's finally time to call it quits.
>
> I'm sorry guys, but I'm honestly contemplating my resign from World of Hyrule.

As seen on http://www.worldofhyrule.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1219

Until further notice, when the project hopefully either picks back up, or is confirmed terminated - I'm considering starting another project, which I've had planned for some time, or just contributing to other peoples projects to expand my portfolio which can be seen at www.beaubuckley.info. What I'm interested in knowing, is that are there any proficient graphic artists in this community who may be interested in assisting me. I'll reveal details at a later date, if I decide to go ahead with it. No, I do not expect anyone to blindly volunteer to develop a project with me when they don't know anything about it - I'm just curious to those who would be interested in working with me.

You had an unbelievable amount of non-eclipse followers, though I can see why you would give up/stop/etc., but I really hope that you continue this project some time. Why not just get some new people to work with you? But of course, I'm not one to talk.

Edit: Saw this. I guess it explains some things.

> For all those curious, Spainion will be World of Hyrule's only programmer, as only he has the source. Without him, I'd have to start so much again, namely mapping - which I have an insane amount done.

@Kreator:

> If one more person asks why I can't just get a new programmer, I will burn down their house. I've also heard the same thing on MSN quite a few times. And trust me if I could do that, then I would.

Why can't you get a new programmer?

@Kreator:

> And trust me if I could do that, then I would.

If I could get a new programmer I was talking about here. Not if I could burn your house down. I wouldn't really burn down your house. That should avoid suspicion.

I have a flight back home in an hour, and a burning family to bury. Excuse me everyone.

• 5 weeks later...
The engine has been ready and waiting to plug in a database for a very long time which was not my job, the engine did not fail due to my lack of motivation. Everyone quit. I requested specific resources to keep working which never came along. If the game is ready… Graphically, then its ready for an alpha, its been like that for a long... long time. A lack of communication and our pissed up time zones put us out of touch.

I'm getting a little fvckin sick of this Spainion bashing where everyone just points figures and blames me for the downfall of Hyrule, for the record I have never insulted or blamed Kreator for anything that happened with the project so now there is all of a sudden all this hostility towards me cause I actually have a life and this is a hobby. I don't have time to sit around posting on forums, I work six days a week, and I still quite regularly work on my engine.

The engine has some bugs and some tweaking to do... Yes, for the most part it has been completed and I've been sitting here waiting for a database to plug in so we can debug this thing as a team.

@Japez:

> Because its "his" engine. duh.

Love the quotes, and obviously I'm not going to hand the source out to anyone. I've been working on it since Arkland for those of you who remember that game. I talked to Kreator last night, and I think the main reason for the downfall was a lot of communication issues.

The game has not bitten the dust, its on the brink of completion and after a talk with Kreator it is a possibility that it will resume very soon.

> This has happend since 2004.

Again… for the record, I rarely ever just gave up on any of my projects most of the time everyone in the team decides its not worth finishing and they all move on, then I apply the engine to some other game. People hating on me cause many projects I start do not get finished need to review pretty much everyone in the community to see how many failed projects they have been part of. Getting a 2D game off the ground is a huge task and most people (myself included) jump head first into huge projects that take a lot of time and patience to complete.

World of Hyrule, will see completion provided Kreator and I get in contact and sort out the last few steps we need to take.

@əˈnɪgməx™:

> and yet another Zelda fail … im beginning to think it is a curse ... shame looked to be a ducking good game...
> a moment of silence .......... .......... ......... ........ ....... ........ ........ it will be missed :(

Hold your tongue, sir. Development has resumed!

Myself and Spainion may have a bumpy and interesting history; but behold as we complete this masterpiece. Surprisingly in this gap in development, I've learnt a few things, development-wise; that should really help. This time tomorow i'll have a heckload of spare time, and the next few days as well following. So we'll sweep this project of the ground and get it ready for alpha.