Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should there be a master server in eclipse?

Radekil9

i voted no because people have custom sprites ect… unless on server connect it downloads all the new graphics for that server and say you have a folder setup like this

Client
          (game files)
          Servers
                    (list of each server ever connected to)
                                            GFX

voted for stupid idea.

People the point of the engine is to make your own game. Meaning Graphics as well as maps ect.

Most people do not use the default graphics. And for those that do SHAME ON YOU lol. I myself will not play any game that uses the default graphics just because Ive been here so long they started to get on my nerves. It doesnt take much skill to map using  them tiles IMO.

You'd still have to download all the files etc so technically.. All it'd be doing is like providing you with a list of servers then running the client for you when u want to play.. What's so difficult about doing that urself o-o just a waste of time imo.

@CrAzY:

> @Ddunit:
>
> > If the host of that server closes his server, then every game is down.
>
> No?

Yes. Because if the server hosting all the server or the master server, decides to shutdown, all the servers are down.

@Ddunit:

> @CrAzY:
>
> > @Ddunit:
> >
> > > If the host of that server closes his server, then every game is down.
> >
> > No?
>
> Yes. Because if the server hosting all the server or the master server, decides to shutdown, all the servers are down.

i thought the OP meant there was basically.. A list which say.. Contacts all the current online servers but has no direct like link to them.. SO basically it's just a list which finds out if the server's online or offline (all servers) and then gives u a option to start the game.
.. which is pointless

so i guess i got it wrong aswell, can someone clarify what he means then?

@Radekil9:

> i thought that if this ideas stays a little longer, as in years and the technoligy evolves (Alot) then you could make it happen, but who ganna remember this topic in say.. 6 yrs when we could do it?

We could do it right now… just it would require a lot of money and time, neither of which any of us have.

@Ddunit:

> @CrAzY:
>
> > @Ddunit:
> >
> > > If the host of that server closes his server, then every game is down.
> >
> > No?
>
> Yes. Because if the server hosting all the server or the master server, decides to shutdown, all the servers are down.

A master server is not linked directly to the other servers. It just tells the client what servers it can connect to. It acts like a 'directory' for servers, basically. And besides we could make it so if the master server isn't found you could just connect via IP like normal. Thats how most games that include master servers work.

I think having a list of active servers in an application form makes sense… When you click to play a server it can download all the resources for the server (IE custom graphics / executable). The list should indicate whether a server is online or offline.. Maybe even have chat?

@unknown:

> I think having a list of active servers in an application form makes sense… When you click to play a server it can download all the resources for the server (IE custom graphics / executable). The list should indicate whether a server is online or offline.. Maybe even have chat?

Thats what I was thinking also.. It wouldn't be hard to do.

Well you didn't really explain what a master server was you just said master server so I think a lot of people misunderstood..

If it's somthing that stores active server name/ips & sends them off to a client than it makes a lot of sense. It would be very useful to have one app to play every active eclipse game.

@unknown:

> Well you didn't really explain what a master server was you just said master server so I think a lot of people misunderstood..
>
> If it's somthing that stores active server name/ips & sends them off to a client than it makes a lot of sense. It would be very useful to have one app to play every active eclipse game.

exactly

@unknown:

> Well you didn't really explain what a master server was you just said master server so I think a lot of people misunderstood..
>
> If it's somthing that stores active server name/ips & sends them off to a client than it makes a lot of sense. It would be very useful to have one app to play every active eclipse game.

And each time we want to play a different game, we have to use different graphics, which means we'd have to either download the graphics each time, or use the same graphics.

Or we could use databases to store our graphics, but someone would've to code a new engine and way to load graphics.

Even if we did use database to take care of graphics, the loading time for each maps would take ages.

it'd never work…

a very organized list of active games should do...

games with real hosting should be included, if they are using free file hosting, their game is probably not worth the list....

@Ddunit:

> @unknown:
>
> > Well you didn't really explain what a master server was you just said master server so I think a lot of people misunderstood..
> >
> > If it's somthing that stores active server name/ips & sends them off to a client than it makes a lot of sense. It would be very useful to have one app to play every active eclipse game.
>
> And each time we want to play a different game, we have to use different graphics, which means we'd have to either download the graphics each time, or use the same graphics.
>
> Or we could use databases to store our graphics, but someone would've to code a new engine and way to load graphics.
>
> Even if we did use database to take care of graphics, the loading time for each maps would take ages.

If you have custom graphics/engine you need a link to those graphics or engine files & the 'master' client could download and extract it.. It could be in zip format, and ideally you have a different folder within the master client application for every different server.

The master client could function like an updater for every specific server.. If there is a newer graphics.zip or engine.zip for a specific server it should download & extract it.

So essentially from within the master client, here's how I see the use case working..

* On load connect to master server and retrieve server names, graphics, urls, ips, ports
* Click a server from the server list to play
* The master client checks checksum of ./servername/graphics.zip with server graphics.zip URL
* If the checksums don't match download+extract the graphics.zip & when finished play
* If the checksums match then play