Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MSPaint

spiro

It's too restrictive. The only real use it has is pixel art, but even then pretty much every other program outdoes it with layers and more than 3 undo's.

It's the kind of program bad pixel artists swear by until they actually get enough skill to pass their stuff off as art.

@Robin:

> It's too restrictive. The only real use it has is pixel art, but even then pretty much every other program outdoes it with layers and more than 3 undo's.
>
> It's the kind of program bad pixel artists swear by until they actually get enough skill to pass their stuff off as art.

You mean who? Kreator? lol.

@Robin:

> It's too restrictive. The only real use it has is pixel art, but even then pretty much every other program outdoes it with layers and more than 3 undo's.
>
> It's the kind of program bad pixel artists swear by until they actually get enough skill to pass their stuff off as art.

You're correct when you say every other program outdoes it with layers, but you're only partially correct when you say that it doesn't have more than 3 undos. The Windows 7 version of Paint offers better zoom options and a lot more undos than the Windows XP or Windows Vista version of Paint.

I personally like Paint, and I think it's great for pixel art because of its very simple layout. It's easy to get a few basic colors from the pallette to start off, and you can also access whatever you need quickly, especially with the Quick Access Toolbar. I also use Photoshop, but not for pixel art.

Robin = 100% correct.

For pixel art..  you wanna use programs like  Graphics Gale, or Promotion. Those are the top two programs used by professional pixel artist.

Reasons.. Layers, Onion Skins, Alpha Layers,  Frames, WAY better zoom, WAY better color picker, Key Bindings, Custom brush/ patterns, Even though msp has it.. it has a better recolor tool. better Selection options.. Promotion has a very nice feature to help make tiles. Never got into using it though.. GG for me.

@[Cake:

> Chakkra link=topic=61865.msg653913#msg653913 date=1277512530]
> I must be one of those people then robin. I will never use any other program. MS paint is the best for pixel art

What about if you pixel something and you need to change the palette and you're stuck with paint?
Though luck.

MS Paint is good because it doesn't do crap like AA and stuff like that, that is bad for pixel art. If MS Paint had layer and grid functions, and a better color management system, then it'd be really useful. Oh and being able to have more than a single file open at a time, that's annoying.

@Anna:

> MS Paint is good because it doesn't do crap like AA and stuff like that, that is bad for pixel art. If MS Paint had layer and grid functions, and a better color management system, then it'd be really useful. Oh and being able to have more than a single file open at a time, that's annoying.

It does have grid functions. Hit ctrl+G. And layers… not sure that you'd really need it. Colours I guess I can agree with. W7 Sort of rectified this.