Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is everyones field….

SilentGamer

Well we are a relatively close community and I think we should get to know each other a little more. So just state your name, or internet name. Say what you specialize in such as PHP, HTML, VB etc. Then say a bit like what got you into it or what you are doing to develop your skills….

I will do mine to get started....
I am Aaron, I do web programming and my main field is database and PHP programming. My resent projects have been Artificial Intelligent bot systems and advanced login systems for big companies. I am doing currently an IT Diploma and hope to go to university to study computer science.

@Thorn:

> Thorn.
>
> I'm a writer, or at least an aspiring one.
> I do free writing work for anyone on here who wants it (oddly, there are far more who need it than those who want it) and I'm currently taking a number of creative writing courses in college.

Nice, that sounds like a good course. What kind of writing are you into? I have some mates who are really into anime writing like massive swords that look impossible to lift and they can fly and walk on water  :huh:

Ambard,

I'm a professional graphic designer with over 15 years experience in the field of sign design, screen printing, LED video production and consulting. I'm a published writer in my field and have been flown all over America for training or trade shows.

My web sites:
www.jnewkirk.com
www.ledvideoproductions.com

@Ambard:

> Ambard,
>
> I'm a professional graphic designer with over 15 years experience in the field of sign design, screen printing, LED video production and consulting. I'm a published writer in my field and have been flown all over America for training or trade shows.
>
> My web sites:
> www.jnewkirk.com
> www.ledvideoproductions.com

I always wondered why the hell your graphics were so good. Makes sense that you do it for a living.

Robin. Writing is my passion.

I started up game development as a medium for story telling. Programming is an extension of that and pays a hell of a lot better than my writing ever has.

I'm incredibly self-critical and most of my work has never been seen by my family and friends or the general internet population (ie, you lot).

Getting worked up over small details and imperfections means everything I do is generally slow and laborious (Relatively. I still work a hell of a lot faster than most people around here).

I find it very difficult to understand people who do a half-arsed job and expect other people to congratulate them.

I have a strong belief that presentation is very important.

I've been programming for nearly 10 years now and I've been working with Mirage & VB6 for 6 years. I generally do something cutting edge, release it unfinished then move onto the next thing. I take pride in my work, although I do struggle to see the 'bigger picture' when I'm sat away for 3 hours or so working out minor imperfections in the interface.

My education experience wasn't too bad, although I realised from a young age that the entire system was flawed. I got through college with a ~40% attendance and an A-level equivalent of CBB. I got accepted into every University placement I applied for, but I turned them down realising that I'm in not state to fully apply myself to a course whilst having to build up silly amounts of portfolio work & pro quals.

**tl;dr:** I just dick around all day. I'm clever, but don't bother to do anything with it.

Name is Michael: I am a "Jack of All Trades", master of none but proficient at all. Went to college for 3 years  (Computer Science). Dropped out. College is not my cup of tea and just about the most worthless way to learn something–my opinion. I have been painting since I could speak and started digitally painting at a very young age. Worked my way from ms-paint to Jasc Paint Shop and then moved to Painter and Photoshop. Digital Painting is probably my strongest skill. I say "Digital Painting" because it is vastly different than graphic design. I have some experience in freelance graphic design. Honestly it bores the crap out of me to make company logos and website templates, so I don't really do much of that anymore. I also write stories and have even written a novel. (That is shite and will never be published) I have worked on a plethora of games that I never seem to finish or are total crap. I am trying to fix that and I believe I might actually do it this time. Dabbled in 3d modeling and animation. Oh, I also enjoy cooking.

I'm currently a college student, gettin a degree in Music, but I will also grab some edumucations in graphic arts and web development… not that I need the education on it, but it looks good on the resume, and I may learn a few different things.

I know xHTML, CSS, and am learning PHP. I use photoshop and Illustrator for my graphic design. I will occasionally dabble in composition, but I'm no good at it yet.

I play the drums, and am learning Piano. I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
I have no idea where my mess of interests will take me, but I'm sure itt'l be lulz.

Meh, I am not really good at anything yet xD  I'm learning VB6 kind of in my spare time, but I'm still yet to program simple games, and my best work was a calculator xD.  I tried doing pixel art but I'm not tallented.  I can write decently I think, but its really not much.  I really like to cook, and cook often, but I am yet to do anything about it.  I'm thinking about taking cheap college courses in cooking just to get a few more tricks up my sleeve and give me a potential career in cooking.

Ahoy,
I'm RavenStar, my work includes mostly web design & server administration for big paying clients :D
So because of that, I deal mostly with PHP & databasing (and ASP if the client demands it >.<).

I wrote my own CMS which I'm very proud of and used it for my clients but as work started to overwhelm me I had no time to update the CMS and implement extra features, so now I use CMSMS (if you mention Wordpress I'll shoot you).

I also deal a lot with Centos 5, apache/lighttp and virtualization(openvz/xen).

When working on personal projects or something I'm proud of, I fuss over the tiny things, always looking for ways to improve and optimise it. I also tend to start a lot of great idea projects but never finish them, so I have a collection of unfinished projects, even though they're unfinished (and probably never will be finished) I still renew the domain(s) for them every year.

@Robin:

> My education experience wasn't too bad, although I realised from a young age that the entire system was flawed. I got through college with a ~40% attendance and an A-level equivalent of CBB. I got accepted into every University placement I applied for, but I turned them down realising that I'm in not state to fully apply myself to a course whilst having to build up silly amounts of portfolio work & pro quals.
>
> **tl;dr:** I just dick around all day. I'm clever, but don't bother to do anything with it.

Sounds like the same thinking as myself.

At the moment I'm looking into moving overseas to make operations easier and for a bit of change of scenery.

@Disturbed:

> @Thorn:
>
> > Thorn.
> >
> > I'm a writer, or at least an aspiring one.
> > I do free writing work for anyone on here who wants it (oddly, there are far more who need it than those who want it) and I'm currently taking a number of creative writing courses in college.
>
> Nice, that sounds like a good course. What kind of writing are you into? I have some mates who are really into anime writing like massive swords that look impossible to lift and they can fly and walk on water  :huh:

I've always thought that stuff was basically stupid as hell (for example, I think Naruto is worthless sh!t). I like fantasy, sure, but more D&D or Warhammer kind. I like my swords at a size that the wielder could feasibly swing, and the only people walking on water are mages or people with magic boots.
I basically write fantasy, sci-fi and other fiction. I'm taking a creative non-fiction course though, I'd like to widen my horizons a little.

@Mikekan13:

> As an aside: It is interesting to see all the talent. It would be so monumental if we all could get behind something… I know it is a pipe dream and will never happen but it makes me think of all the amazing things that could be done.

I have to agree with you there. The massive array of different skills in this forum is surprising! I would love to hear anymore stories people have! This is getting really interesting….

Lightning - Programmer

Started off 3 years ago with an SQL course (2 years), then moved on to a couple of months of Java. Started VB.net 1 year ago and achieved an A in my computing AS. Got into VB6 a few months ago for Eclipse.
Hope to go to University and study Computer Games Technology.

I'm Pete and I like zombies.

Computers have always been a passion of mine.
Recently, I started my Computer Games Development course at college.
I also write (although I'm not great) and make websites. (HTML, CSS and PHP).
I find all of this fun. That's why I'm doing it.

With me, it was a choice between music and computers. For now, I've chosen computers. It's easier to get work (thus money) in the computer industry, compared to music. I can very much see myself picking up music later on down the road.

If this made no sense, meh. I wasn't really paying attention. :P

I'm Sputnak,
I'm making a game with my brother and friend, and I do pretty much everything that goes with that except GFX because I'm not the best pixel-arter. I'm in the game-making for fun really, and because I've been interested since I was really young (I'm young now but I mean even younger). My hobby is designing machines which I've always wanted to build, I'm also kind of a nerd at school who's not the hardworker nerd, more like I sit back and just absorb it. I'm OK with programming considering I'm new at VB6\. And I'm teaching myself piano just like all my older brothers and my sister did before me.

EDIT: Just wanted to say, I'm also doing GCSEs after Xmas, Doing engineering, science and computer stuff with some business.

im smokeythebear. i do music, pixel art, web design, and stories. ive been in and out of eclipse for several years. lets see… i live in canada with the polar bears... when im not playin around with 2d games, you'll find me playing super mario wii, watching movies, recording music, and a ton of other shit. thats me in a nutshell.  XD

I'm Clark…Mostly music. That is composition, teaching, as well as performance. Studying to become a forensic scientist and investigator. Also preoccupied by a few martial arts on my free time.

Oh look's like my thread is disappearing. I'd better write something.