Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Grassland/Forest Tileset

Chakkra

So I've got this tileset I made a while ago and it feels extremely incomplete. It's for a side-scrolling game. I'd like some help and suggestions of what to add to it to make it a complete tileset.

![](http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3474/tileset1demo.png)

@renzo:

> I've seen similar side-scrolling art concepts and never understood the whole rope ladder always conveniently being there.  What about using tree roots as a form of climbing up and down platforms in foresty areas?
>
> Great work by the way. :)

Ohhhhh! I really like this idea! Thanks!

@Chakkra:

> @/<[Minilinkki:
>
> > >\ link=topic=66128.msg712503#msg712503 date=1289726775]
> > Everything else looks cool expect those trees.
> > They doesn't fit in style, :l
>
> Sure they do.

They fit the style… just look like shit ;D
I would remake the trees altogether. They don't look good at all and ruin the rest of your work that is decent by the way.

@Kusy:

> @Chakkra:
>
> > @/<[Minilinkki:
> >
> > > >\ link=topic=66128.msg712503#msg712503 date=1289726775]
> > > Everything else looks cool expect those trees.
> > > They doesn't fit in style, :l
> >
> > Sure they do.
>
> They fit the style… just look like shit ;D
> I would remake the trees altogether. They don't look good at all and ruin the rest of your work that is decent by the way.

Well you see, trees are what I have the most trouble with.. They were such a pain. I thought they looked good TBH… What should I do differently?

I'm not saying they look horrible, maybee it looked a bit too harsh. Just don't seem like trees. I guess the trunks shouldn't narrow like that, they should split if you know what I mean…
![](http://images.worldgallery.co.uk/i/prints/rw/lg/1/4/Ansel-Adams-Oak-Tree--Sunrise-14770.jpg)
see, they don't get thiner and thiner that rapidly, they split into thiner branches. I know it's hard to fit it in a tileset tho.
Another thing is that it seems like those leaves are just poping out from the branches ends instead of growing out of branches.
I can't really show you what I mean because my tablet isn't cooperating since I had a hard drive whipe.

Well I see that but the trees above are better. What I mean is: The palm tree is different so what you could do is add like to more leaves behind what you have right now, using darker color(to show that its behind) and maybe only make the top part of the leaf not the whole thing. Hope this explains my point.  :P

Pretty good. Your trees dont look right for one main reason. The dimensions are wrong. For example, with the palm tree, the middle palms are sticking upwards when they should appear to be coming downwards instead. The bigger trees appear to be flopping backwards, and are just weird looking dimension wise. Other than that, nice colors, and good technique overall. 8/10

i say these graphics look really good! A good custom set! I honestly think that side-scrolling gfx are a litter harder when dealing with the perspective. They have to appear somewhat flat while still appearing as they have depth. They look pretty good  :azn: