Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which version of Eclipse?

King-Kold

I'm new here and all, but anyway I have a question. I noticed there are a few versions of Eclipse. Overall, which one is best to use? Is there any advantage to using one version over another? Stable has a nicer GUI but I can change that myself. My main thing is being able to change the map sizes, which apparently Origins does but I cannot seem to do it in Evolution. Are there other things that put one above the other? Thanks

@Chuchoide:

> Origins - Best
> Stable - Less Features than Evolution, but Less Bugs
> Evolution - More Features than Stable, but more Bugs.
>
> Nuff said.

I'm pretty sure stable has the exactly the same features as evolution.

If not correct me someone :P

Also, origins is better for more advanced people, if you're new, and looking for something easy. I'd suggest Eclipse Stable, as it also has a Scripting system that Origins does not.

It died when things I grew up using became nostalgic ;). I come from the times when an 8GiByte hard drive was as big as a school hardback. I think perhaps compiling from source might solve the problems. Though I would hate for every user who downloads the finished product to have to do the same. I can do without Origins for the time being, but I would like to know how to make maps somewhat larger. Strangely enough, despite what I've found in forum posts, the map size is not in the map editing dialogue. Or at least it is cleverly disguised as something else :P

@Captain:

> Also, origins is better for more advanced people, if you're new, and looking for something easy. I'd suggest Eclipse Stable, as it also has a Scripting system that Origins does not.

You're a fool. The only reason scripting is seen as an asset is because you lot are used to it.

Learning Stable then moving on to Origins is stupid. It's like me downloading and using Windows '95 so I can then move on to Windows 7.

@[Pie:

> ICT link=topic=66213.msg713552#msg713552 date=1290033526]
> I understood him I think Robin; he is saying, Origins is only good for making the game, not actually having it online because of the bug that doesn't allow multiple players on at a time. (I think)

Open Mind.You're right

Good someone understand  ;D

It really just come down to this. If you can program or have time to learn how to program VB6 go with origins for sure. It is programmed so much better then the rest. If you can't program or don't have time to learn how to program Vb6 then go with Eclipse Stable. The scripting system in Eclipse Stable is much easier to learn then learning VB6, although there very similar.

Origins is and most likely will always be the best choice if you know what your doing.

@Zetasis:

> The scripting system in Eclipse Stable is much easier to learn then learning VB6, although there very similar.

Actually by the very way they're designed, Visual Basic is easier to learn than VBScript. The only problem people seem to have is learning how to use the IDE.

I've been programming with VB since VB6 (but I've also moved on to things like C++, PHP and so on), but I have absolutely no desire to go find that ancient CD (which is probably gone anyway) and install software that old. I mean we're talking about something from before the oceans drank Atlantis here (VB6 was first released in '98).