Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dark Bushido Progress

This is a small sample of the tileset and sprites I am using for my project. Just curious what you guys think and lemme know if you think the sprites actually even go well with the tiles or not. I have many other options for sprites, but I just wanted to see if I could try it with these. Just need CC on the tiles and whether or not the sprite goes well…Thanks  :azn:

![](http://i53.tinypic.com/2lagck6.png)

EDIT:

Decided to try out a sample if I were to switch back over to side-scrolling.
![](http://i52.tinypic.com/2eq837q.png)

Haha well they remind you guys of Pokemon GFX because they sort of are. I made them myself, but I used the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl tiles as a major reference. I basically redid the tiles, but altered them to the way I needed them to be.

The sprite is from the game Izuna. (Its a ninja game and there are a lot of ninja and samurai sprites to use). However, I am not fully decided on whether I am just going to use those sprites, or improve the custom sprites I have, and base their detail on the Izuna sprites.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys are digging the sprites. You can thank Pokemon haha. I'm just trying to give them an "artsy" type feel. After I have more of the tiles complete, I will post an Alpha video. My WIP will then reach its Alpha stage as well.

@DshWinchester:

> dark bushido is sidescrooling right?
>
> but these tiles dont
>
> wait Miguu,he's nice person :)

Well, it was side scrolling, but I decided to switch to top down for a couple of reasons. I could always switch back to side-scrolling because I'm indecisive, however, I am content with how the tiles are working out.

@/<[Minilinkki:

> >\ link=topic=67419.msg727427#msg727427 date=1293717120]
> Gotta say, it looks great.
> Even the tiles are resized it fits with sprite.
>
> Also, I want moar ;)

Thank you! Yeah I was kind of worried more because of the detail in the tiles. I was concerned whether or not the sprite would go well. I can always increase the size of the sprite, or as I said, try out some of the custom sprites I have laying around. Anyway, I'm hoping to finish the landscape portion of the tiles soon so that I can move on to buildings!  :azn:

Looks good. I'm not sure, however this look odd, if the grass has a base line on the bottom of some of the blades. Maybe look better without? Not too sure.

I like the sand, but the coast edge seems a bit to repetitive and jagged. Unless that is the water coming up on the sand as opposed to the shape of the sand. Looks good, just seems weird to me.

It is a very nice style, looking forward to seeing more.

@Azyru:

> You need to fix the cliffs in the back. You can tell that they are being repeated.

@Edward:

> Looks good. I'm not sure, however this look odd, if the grass has a base line on the bottom of some of the blades. Maybe look better without? Not too sure.
>
>   I like the sand, but the coast edge seems a bit to repetitive and jagged. Unless that is the water coming up on the sand as opposed to the shape of the sand. Looks good, just seems weird to me.
>
> It is a very nice style, looking forward to seeing more.

I didn't take much time to make the image look like the scenery was "natural." However I can assure you that the final product will not look like that.  :azn:

@Kusy:

> Well it looks ok, the cliffs tile terribly… the grass is kind of bad too. Nice to see some user made grapics but the overall hardon and praise from Jungletoe and HunterXero is random.

^this.

and also, it doesn't look very artsy, it looks almost retro, almost cute.  Try making the cliffs more purple, for instance and also maybe make the ocean more purply as well.

The ground tiles I pieced together. They are from a game called Guardian of Paradise. Believe it or not, the people who did the Breeze sprites, copied the tiles from the game. Its funny because on Breeze's website, they have a copyright statement  XD. Anyway, the perspective of Guardian of Paradise is top down, so I did some major tweaking, and make a side-scrolling perspective.  :azn:

The tree is from mother 3\. Although that is a top down game as well, the perspective is very flat. That is why the tiles are able to work well together.

I edited all of the tiles and then recolored them. I got the background off of spriter's resource. It's just to help tie in the GFX and show why the trees are outlined in black. I want them to maintain their foreground appearance even when I put the backgrounds in.

Thank you! Honestly side-scrolling GFX are so much easier to work with. Haha. I am pretty convinced I will be switching back. I think on a larger scale, these will look good.

Don't mirror place tiles. It does look bad, on first glance those sidescrolling ones look good but it's because of the background - the tiles are actualy poorly made and the mirror placing is obvious (both with ground and trees). It's also visible that the trees are far too simple in comparison with grass… another thing is they look more like shrubs since there already are trees in the background image.

@Azyru:

> I have a question? How do you go from this:
> ![](http://i53.tinypic.com/2lagck6.png)
>
> To this:
>
> ![](http://i52.tinypic.com/2eq837q.png)
>
> Anyway I like the sidescrolling one, looks really good

Lol, an indecisive mind and a sick addiction to creating games.