Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What language did you find the clearest

Marsh

This post is aimed at anyone who has tried to pick up programming or seen a couple different languages. I want to make a game that teaches the user programming but am unsure of what language to start with. I am currently thinking python as it is probably the easiest to see and use in my opinion. Though the tabs may be a bit annoying or confusing at first. I am also considering LUA, I could also invent my own language that gets the concepts across.

So Eclipse! What language did you find the easiest to learn. Or maybe perhaps just the easiest to read without knowing programming.

Inb4 Chief trying to drag more innocents into Javascript.

It depends on what your goal is. Do you want your users to, at the end of the game, know a programming language, or understand concepts in programming?

Syntax is just syntax, and you can easily adjust as long as you know _what_ you're doing. So, if the case is that you just want to explain concepts, don't restrict yourself to an already existing language and feel free to make up your own.

> It depends on what your goal is. Do you want your users to, at the end of the game, know a programming language, or understand concepts in programming?
>
> Syntax is just syntax, and you can easily adjust as long as you know _what_ you're doing. So, if the case is that you just want to explain concepts, don't restrict yourself to an already existing language and feel free to make up your own.

I want to teach them the concepts and at least some general syntax. Even if all the concepts are given to you and you have never seen a line of code your are still going to have trouble. I just want to show user code in the easiest form there is. Good chance I will be making my own language though if I use a existing one the user could get a lot more creative.

> I want to teach them the concepts and at least some general syntax. Even if all the concepts are given to you and you have never seen a line of code your are still going to have trouble. I just want to show user code in the easiest form there is. Good chance I will be making my own language though if I use a existing one the user could get a lot more creative.

Start with concepts, then once a general understanding is established, move on to practical use.

> I think the language you start with will always seem the easiest to you. With that being said, visual basic for me.

That may be true for some, but not necessarily all. I started with Visual Basic 6 back in 2001; it wasn't until I was getting certified in it that I really understood anything. When I picked up C# things started making far more sense than they ever had before, and I've been able to leverage that understanding to make way more technical things than I ever could have in VB6.

I suppose it could all go back to what you use as learning material. An example would be the JavaScript 1.x book I picked u back in 2003\. I learned absolutely nothing from it. Fast forward to 2 years ago when I picked up Visual C# 2010 Step by Step and used pluralsight pretty extensively and blammo, everything made complete sense except very technical theorems involving math.

At some point, when you start learning more than 2-3 languages, you start to forget more than you remember. :-/