Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Meat created in lab

Marsh

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/6684854/Scientists-grow-meat-in-laboratory.html

So opinions? Personally i think that is just messed up and if this came available i really dont plan on ever eating it if avoidable. We just went a little to far in food modification. I mean ill eat just about anything, but thats just fucked up.

I heard about this awhile back. It's fucked up. I would never eat it. But i'm one of those weird hippie guys who dont eat meat anyway, let alone fake laboratory meat. lol. I can only imagine in the future people living in spacecrafts and getting their meals from an artificial food dispensary.

This is will be great for the supply-side of the S&D curve of our global economy. We already have such little idea of what we're eating that we won't notice a different 'round the time it comes. It will taste better than meat since they can add more chemicals to it. It still comes from an animal, after-all.

@Robin:

> What's the problem? Meat is meat. I'll eat it.

Agreed. And not just this, but do you know what is already in or happens to the food we eat?! Taco Bell admitted to putting sand in their meat mixture. There is only 36% ACTUAL MEAT. Other places like McDonald's use edible plastic as fillers.

Dude, we fuck up our bodies so badly, not just from fast food, but everything we eat. It's whatever I suppose.

Think of it this way. In some way or form though, everything we eat is genetically altered. We take our food from animals that are already genetically grown to produce more, be fatter, and blah. I mean, we even alter fruits and vegetables. If we want to make things sweeter or more nutritious, which we have done, we fuck with shit.

It is not like it has not been done before. Its just now they are doing it inside! Haha. I mean, one of Disney World's attractions is showing how they have labs in the heart of the park that mutate food to produce "better, healthier things." Really the only way not to eat shit that has been messed with is anorexia.

If it's a cheap food source and tastes fine, I don't see the problem. Of course "real" meat will still be availible. As long as bureaucracies don't fuck shit up like put artificial taxes on any of them, everything should work out fine.

And as MrMiguu and Munro said, this would help with the global food supply, although supply itself isn't the problem; it's bureacracy and corruption in the distribution of food that leads to hunger.

@MrMiguu:

> My female-companion told me that Taco Bell's food was under the 15% **real food** number and that was a goal for them to reach. Gross.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/badmeat.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usda

reading; try it some time. USDA prohibits the substitution of meat with "sand". Seriously, where do you guys get this shit? And if you read up on that lawsuit, Its 12% **NOT MEAT** as in spices and water compose of 12% of their meat.

Also, this is OLD news. Idk about UK, but we've had artificial meat in the US for years.

@Fabio:

> http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/badmeat.asp
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usda
>
> reading; try it some time. USDA prohibits the substitution of meat with "sand". Seriously, where do you guys get this shit? And if you read up on that lawsuit, Its 12% **NOT MEAT** as in spices and water compose of 12% of their meat.

I knew someone was going to call me on my bullshiit. I usually would research this sort of thing but I was too lazy. Prob will go read about it later.

@Anna:

> If it's a cheap food source and tastes fine, I don't see the problem. Of course "real" meat will still be availible. As long as bureaucracies don't duck shit up like put artificial taxes on any of them, everything should work out fine.
>
> And as MrMiguu and Munro said, this would help with the global food supply, although supply itself isn't the problem; it's bureacracy and corruption in the distribution of food that leads to hunger.

+1 :D. I can't say anything. Although a good old pork/cow farm sounds better than a… meat farm? Hope they run enough, I don't want to eat a non-healthy meat x'D.

Freedom for the meats >:D, let them have a life D:,
L'ark Mitsinikos

@Fabio:

> Also, this is OLD news. Idk about UK, but we've had artificial meat in the US for years.

I doubt we have artifical meat actually. We might have some but just hidden away in Norwich or something.

You really can't trust anything you eat anyway due to enzymes and shit being pumped into most animals. Hell there are some type of cows that never touch the floor. They are placed in a box and fed constantly until they become fat enough and slaughtered. And I'm sure what they ingest isn't just natural shit. You could always just buy a cow, raise it and slaughter it. It sounds morbid, but if you have ever had fresh slaughtered meat, you'll know the difference. So tasty.

@Thorn:

> Hey, if they pull this off then I'm all for it. Meat no longer being dependent on the death of an animal? If it still tastes fine, that seems like a foregone conclusion to me.

I think that's bullshit, organisms die and other organisms live ofd their remains. It's the way of nature. If I was a cow or a herbavorous animal I wouldn't mind being killed to be eaten. I dislike how mass-production food animals _live_ more than I'm concerned about with how or why they die.

Everything dies, if something needs to survive and my dead carcass is the only thing it has at the time, why should I feel bad about it? It's what is ordained by the natural universe.

Moral vegetarians annoy me so much.