Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Entering Beta

Robin

If any of you actually bother to follow the Origins development thread then you'll see that Origins has now entered its beta testing period. I'm sure some of you are scared, some of you excited and some of you sexually aroused. If you can be categorised in to the latter then I suggest you go get help. If not, read on.

**What does this mean?**
It means that the alpha testing period has ended and the beta testing period has begun! If you don't know what these are, wikipedia is your friend; [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing#Alpha_testing](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing#Alpha_testing)

What this means for Origins specifically is that I am no longer going to be running down the "if something changes, re-make your game and deal with it" line. For me to actually have enough time to develop Origins I simply couldn't be wasting time dealing with converters and all that other crap before. I'll be creating an all-purpose data converter which I will be releasing with the next version of Origins. Simply plop this in to your server's directory, run it and select which version you want to switch data between and it'll do it all for you.

**What will change?**
What this also means is that I probably won't be adding any more huge features to Origins. The software is currently very close to what I see as a perfect basis for creating a game from without me doing everything for you. If I do decide to add any more huge features, I'll probably resort to releasing them as tutorials.

I'll also be concentrating on writing up the documentation for the engine. I'm planning on releasing another few tutorials which goes through generic stuff like running the VB6 IDE and the like, then release a set of tutorials which give full explanations for all the systems used to create your game. Once I've done that I'll start releasing programming guides telling you how to add new stats, how to make a unique weapon, etc. etc.

**So you're going to stop releasing stuff?**
Yes and no. I've said many times that my goal with Origins was to create a solid, stable base which I could use to create my own games with. I wanted a generic engine which I wouldn't have to go deep in to the core and re-program from the ground up. I know for a fact that most other people felt the same way and I decided to release it to the public.

Origins is now in such a state that I can easily plug in a new graphics engine, program a quest system and release my own games without any problems at all. It has matured a lot over the last year and a bit, so much so that I'm more confident making the transition in to the Beta period than ever before.

This does not mean that development will stop. I will continue to add things in which I feel are an integral part of game design and I'll obviously keep fixing all bugs which are reported. In fact, you probably won't notice much difference at all when it comes to the changes I do. Its main purpose is a milestone. It shows that the software is no longer experimental and I'm serious about people making a game with it.

I certainly won't be adding anything huge like pets, projectiles or anything like that. There are simply far too many ways to add these in and my idea of a good system is usually very different from common consensus. As such I'll be re-opening my programming shop and selling both pre-made and custom features. I'll also be releasing a special gold edition of Origins which will be a more feature-rich version for those who're more happy splurging a bit than spending the time required to learn to do it themselves.

Good to know sir! I am glad that we can finally all relax now that a really good "base" engine is out. I believe you have done enough however any additional aide to the forum you are willing to provide beyond the final release of Origins will be much obliged.

On a side note, projectiles are not a necessary. There are plenty of games where you do not see any sort of projectile.

Good job Robin! And I can't wait to see what you and Kreator are scheming…

@Rarity:

> I dont see the point of guilds being in the core…
> Animations on map do seem like a good core feature for water and whatnot.
> I thought at one point you were willing to add autotiles? Is that out the window also?
> It is still a very nice engine.
> Good Job Robin!

Most of that was in his shop, and he said he's going to reopen the shop so it will probably be in there again.

This is great!

I'm waiting for the first, official, release then I'll start a game with it. However, I've been playing around with the code and understanding the structure. Like I said before, it is truly amazing and organized.

As for your idea of release a stable version and make tutorial for features and such, it is exactly what I've been telling people to do. It's better that way. I won't have to rip the feature over and over when a new version come out :P
Anyway, it's a great idea because people can learn from it. Make everyone a better game developer.
Thank You, Robin!

Sincerely,
Rithy

I'm sure some people will make a projectile system.  Most games have it(though there are a good amount that don't), and so some kind soul will make one.  Also, SamuGames already made a guild system.  He made it pretty quickly, too.  I'm sure someone will be able to make one and release it(or at least a tutorial for it)