Find results in...

Eclipse is being shut down

Robin

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although this was all a joke, Robin is right about what he said(Not the insults on Americans although half of it is true)

> Two years now I've been working on this software and how many people have I seen actually make anything good from it? About three. All of them are on my team. You're all so pre-occupied with telling me how much Origins sucks because of it's lack of a quest/projectile/guild system that you fail to see what you have. I released one of the best Eclipse games ever and I did it all within 24 hours. Since then I've taken up the most talented users on the community. Anna with her fantastic landscape mapping. Rory with his professional graphics and design. Sebastian with his… well yeah, Seb has just been getting high on shrooms for the last two weeks. But the point still stands.

Keep up the good work robin! I'll be following your projects.

p.s No I'm not sucking-up. I like Robins attitude. He is brutally honest, which I like.

@Marsh:

> We do a april fools joke every single years guys…. Every... single... year
>
> how do you keep falling for it.

Very clever. For some reason I had full access to the Admin section, so I knew from the beginning. I didn't want to ruin it so I kept my mouth shut.

Oh thank god…

Though I do agree with Shepard, Robin is right about almost everything he said (including the bashing of Americans, which is odd, me being an American...).

Perhaps we might begin to see some new and creative stuff begin to pop up??

(ahh who am I kidding, it probably won't...)

And yes, I fell for it. I'm a fool.

Looool. Seriously you guys. Every. Single. Year.

I don't think we've missed a single April Fools for 5 years now.

Anyway, I think I should clear up a few points for those who still think the points in the original post are my true feelings;

I do not hate Americans. I do dislike the kind of behaviour, attitude and ignorance which is prevalent in the American middle-class, but this isn't a purely American quality. I get enough of it over here in the British middle-class, and over in the German middle-class… it's world-wide, not simply American. Obviously America is going to get the blame for a lot of things simply because it's so damn big. You guys have no choice but to be the brunt of every joke. ;]

It's your country's government and foreign policies which are the problem. I'm not stupid enough to sit here claiming that every American is an overweight republican who wants to nuke the rest of the world.

If you actually know me then you know that I have a very deprecating and dry sense of humour. Sure, I make jokes about America a lot but that's simply on this community. A huge portion of our population is American. If I thought enough people understood the British Government then I'd crack more jokes off about our situation.

Also, I would not close down Eclipse simply because a lot of idiots use it. Eclipse has _always_ had a very vocal minority of utter idiots. I noticed them before I ever joined the development team. If I wanted to avoid e-drama caused by little kids then I'd never have started in the first place.

I don't make this software so I can bathe in people's admiration and praise. In fact, expecting such a thing from a little game maker is silly. Sure, I put in a fair amount of work in to Eclipse but have you ever thought about how much time I actually spend developing it? If you take v1.1.0 as the starting point then I spent about 3 day developing the software in 2010 and about 4 days developing the software in 2011\. The website and forum took me 3 days to do both the design and the content.

That isn't very much time in the larger scheme of things. I don't mind putting aside the occasional weekend to do some work. Besides, my working style is doing about 10 minutes of work then going off to find a drink and watching an episode of South Park.

I do Eclipse because I enjoy it. In return I get to put it down on my CV, Evan lets me leech off his hosting for any site I set up and I also get to use the community to jump start any other project I decided to set up. It's a pretty nice deal if you ask me. Oh, and I get to make a bit of pocket money selling the occasional personal source code to you guys.

Would I be warmer towards you people if you didn't constant sit there spamming my inbox telling me that you can't make a game without a system which lets you break through windows to rob houses? Probably. But I'm also not silly enough to categorise the entire community based on the actions of a vocal minority. I'm very good at ignoring people.

When I do stop developing the engine and move on (which is inevitable) I won't take down everything. I'll hand over the distribution rights to the existing versions to Evan then retire in to the Legend group.

So yes, if you want to take anything away from this then I think all of you can learn not to take things for granted. At the same time I'm not going to sit on my high horse talking down to you about it. Act like you want to act but don't act surprised when you face the repercussions.