Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I was to make my own Java version

spectre_z2000

If I was to make my own java morpgmaker like eclipse what features would you all want?

I am playing with the idea right now.  I don't know if I will finish.  I know there was another one, but the plans are to keep that one closed source for use in his own game.  Mine would be open sourced and better for expanding on. 

Just some current ideas that I am tossing around
.tmx maps (tiled format)
powerful and scripted npc system
Some sort of easy to use event and script system similar to the rpgmaker series. 
Ability to set up functions with most keyboard buttons
Support for Linux, Mac, and Windows

Right now with the little bit of work I have done I am using slick2d and spidermonkey libraries.  slick2d handles most aspects of the game such as image loading and movement while spidermonkey handles networking.  Slick2d itself is a 2d game engine.  Spidermonkey is a networking library developed for and usually used with JMonkeyEngine(a 3d java game engine[so it should handle simple 2d stuff pretty easily]). 

So yes, I am taking ideas to implement, and all of this is just for fun.  Hopefully I will have time to work on it during summer(while taking 15 credit hours and a coding internship - yes I am crazy).

If I actually come up with a release I will post in custom versions.  Until then I don't see a point because it may not go anywhere.

Fabio's working on it too.  You would be the third to be working on a java engine.  No need for scripting, either.  just make EO on Java and don't add features till you've done that.

Making an entire engine is quite a task.

So far it seems like you're all talk:
@spectre_z2000:

> taking 15 credit hours and a coding internship - yes I am crazy

Trying to **tell us** who you are instead of showing us who you are? Interesting.

If you come back with "I was only saying that because I don't want people to pressure me when I am so busy" then you could have rephrased the entire post to ask people what they look for in a 2D ORPG engine.

Yes…  Yes it is.  Or at least it could be if I wanted it to be any good. 

Um.....  I don't know if that is what I really meant.  If you want to try and pressure me to work on this that is your choice.  I don't know if it will help me make progress or not.  I couldn't care less.  I could also care less if you choose to think that I am all talk.  *shrugs*  It makes no difference to me.  If you are trying to psychologically dissect that sentence, it was more of a rant than anything with meaning.

The following probably puts more emphasis on what I am trying to say.

I am toying with the idea of making an ORPG engine similar to Eclipse, but programmed in Java.  I want to know what features people are interested in seeing in a 2D ORPG.  This project is just meant to be a hobby coding project.  Do not be disappointed if I never finish it.

@LegendHoly:

> Yes…  Yes it is.  Or at least it could be if I wanted it to be any good. 
>
> Um.....  I don't know if that is what I really meant.  If you want to try and pressure me to work on this that is your choice.  I don't know if it will help me make progress or not.  I couldn't care less.  I could also care less if you choose to think that I am all talk.  *shrugs*  It makes no difference to me.  If you are trying to psychologically dissect that sentence, it was more of a rant than anything with meaning.
>
> The following probably puts more emphasis on what I am trying to say.
>
> I am toying with the idea of making an ORPG engine similar to Eclipse, but programmed in Java.  I want to know what features people are interested in seeing in a 2D ORPG.  This project is just meant to be a hobby coding project.  Do not be disappointed if I never finish it.

I was just making an observation.

I've come across people that type like that. They're usually the ones to get the least done. No accusations.

If you really want to know what people want in their engines, go read up the most vouched-for features in the EO thread. There's tons of them. Pick the ones that pop up the most and get denied simply due to being overly specific.

Stop making posts and go do it. 1,000s of people have started the exact same project, none of them have ever succeeded. Most of them don't even get past the fact that they've made a thread.

Really no point paying any attention to this until you have something to show.

Yeah.

Also I'd like to point out that most of the issues with the Eclipse Evolution series, was that all programming went into adding features, instead of cleaning up the code. If you base your entire project on what features you want, it's going to fail. You have to build a solid, simple, boring core first, then build features off of that.

So let us know when you got a good solid core done. :)

Yours is nice Fabio, the one problem is it still requires using Windows native.  One of the reasons why I feel java would be better for coding and ORPG Engine is that it could easily be programmed to run native on most operating systems, and thus free it from Windows.  This goes for both the server and the client.  To have your version run on my computer I am still required to use wine (or boot into the vista partition I haven't touched in ages).  I believe, from looking at it, that I could manage to get the client running under linux native.  But that is only half the package.   

Alright, you all win.  I will refrain from posting(unless I come across something I need help with, and I find someone who could help on this community with that problem quicker than going to my CS Professor) about my own java engine until I have a solid base.  If I get that far then I will start asking about what more advanced features I can add to it.

Fabio wrote his client under Ubuntu, and it runs on Linux just fine.  Though the server is just a hacked EO1 server that the client interfaces with.  Not sure if you were talking about the client or the server when you said Windows native – I'm not a java guy, but I've had success on my gentoo system...  Though if someone goes that route, I'd recommend a server written in C, using BSD Sockets and client written in Java, instead of both being written in Java or one being java the other vb6 (though my ideal setup would be both the client and server written in C).