Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would this be a plausible idea?

NexCarcer

I have a vision for a game where levels are easy to go through but a challenge is still present and the game is still entertaining even at endgame. Here's an idea I've had for a long time:

I'm currently working a game where the max level will be very high, like 200\. It can also rise with coming patches and content releases. The game is meant to run, even if there is a small player base, but still remain a sandbox-like game. Basically, levels are only needed for stat points. Stat points are needed to improve in combat (And eventually I'm hoping skills). Combat is necessary for acquiring new gear, PvP, and boss fighting. Eventually at the end game, you're meant to collect a certain currency to trade in for amazing gear that boosts your stats. It sounds like a copy of WoW, but I want to add more to it, such as a ranking system (Private, Corporal, Sergeant, etc), a housing system, and of course it will be more balanced. The problem is, I'm not sure if this will be a good idea. The premise is still basically that anyone can do anything they want and won't need a group if they're high enough level. Content ends around lvl90-100 but they can still level up and take on the bosses/dungeons and even more areas will be released with harder bosses.

What do people want to play? Do they want a medium xp rate with a level cap like 70, or something like I suggested? Or maybe a complete sandbox?

I've been developing game projects for years, but now I feel I'm ready to actually do one for real and release it.

Personaly i think your idea was great. I mean cause if you look at runescape theirs great content but the leveling is just to frustrating somtimes. and if you can keep on adding content it sounds like your mmorpg would be more fun, and less work. So if you can keep content updated on monthly basses, than go with your idea.
:)

> It sounds like a copy of WoW, but I want to add more to it, such as a ranking system (Private, Corporal, Sergeant, etc)

Yes it does, also wow has ranks.  And surprisingly enough are the same names you just listed.

@dpinoy13:

> These are all possible but you have to look for tutorials or code them yourself
> for your game.

Plausible* and also when did WoW bring those back? I pretty much stopped at Cataclysm. Also yes, I did describe a large number of MMOs out there, but think about it: that's what people seem to want. If it wasn't, why did you add generic things to the engine, or your own games?

@NexCarcer:

> Plausible* and also when did WoW bring those back? I pretty much stopped at Cataclysm. Also yes, I did describe a large number of MMOs out there, but think about it: that's what people seem to want. If it wasn't, why did you add generic things to the engine, or your own games?

The difference is we're not the ones posting the ideas on a forum asking if they're plausible. The fact that you just described an MMORPG with over 12,000,000 subscribers should give you a little hint that it's a winning formula.

Still, making a WoW-clone is what _everyone_ is doing now-a-days. The point of independent games is that you can actually break the mould and try something new.